• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am worthless today. A few nights ago, I tripped in my granddaughter's bedroom and face planted on her dresser.
I cannot stand up without passing out dizzy. It is like I am stone drunk.

I am not even drinking right now.

Left Eye is blackened. Likely a minor concussion.

I have experienced momentary balance issues of late. Like vertigo episodes. Weird

Getting old is hell.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife is upset (not mad) my granddaughter is moving out to an apartment for her senior year at college and she has lived with us since birth on to moving day.

Sooner or later kids want yo spread their wings and be independent. Hopefully she does well.

It's been raining since last night. We need it. Buy not today as we're setting up for the fair that starts at 5. Lots of running around.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lunch today with one of the former Notre Dame varsity saber fencers. It was great, we met in Chicago's Chinatown at 11:30am, didn't leave the restaurant until 2pm, and then only left because I had to get home. Fun time, great conversation. Best part was he paid for the lunch!

Got home in time to meet a guy who drove from Toledo, OH to look at my motorcycles. He came with the intent to buy one. But on the way he told me he was contacted by a guy who had a newer model and accepted his offer for that one. So, he was a nice guy, but it was a total waste of time. I'm a little bummed about it. Thought I had a sure sale on one of the bikes. He liked the lovely Mrs_Bob's bike, but no sale.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What a day. Out the door at 8 am no breakfast coffee in hand. Loaded the gas golf cart. Hauled it over. Set up the campers with the generator. Back home to load the sxs. Drove the car in to the city to get spare keys cut for the fifth wheel and 2 golf carts in case something goes missing this weekend. Back home with the car. Jumped in the truck and hauled the sxs over to the fairgrounds. Waited around for everyone to get organized then 5 of us drove back to the city in a convoy to pick up mobile light trailers for the fair. Back to the fairgrounds by 415. Gates open at 5. I drove the sxs home to pick up a couple things. Back to the camper by 445. Run over to the volunteer kitchen area we set up and grilled burgers until 7. Back to the camper where I was ordered home again by she who must be obeyed to drive our daughter as she's not staying the night. Back to the camper and set up a fire pit for later. I'm beat.

20240816_214346.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What a day. Out the door at 8 am no breakfast coffee in hand. Loaded the gas golf cart. Hauled it over. Set up the campers with the generator. Back home to load the sxs. Drove the car in to the city to get spare keys cut for the fifth wheel and 2 golf carts in case something goes missing this weekend. Back home with the car. Jumped in the truck and hauled the sxs over to the fairgrounds. Waited around for everyone to get organized then 5 of us drove back to the city in a convoy to pick up mobile light trailers for the fair. Back to the fairgrounds by 415. Gates open at 5. I drove the sxs home to pick up a couple things. Back to the camper by 445. Run over to the volunteer kitchen area we set up and grilled burgers until 7. Back to the camper where I was ordered home again by she who must be obeyed to drive our daughter as she's not staying the night. Back to the camper and set up a fire pit for later. I'm beat.

View attachment 182220

Day 2 of the fair. Local antique tractor club is setting up across from us. (Most of the old tractors belong to my neighbor and his dad) Next to us, a bunch of antique hit n miss motors running on display. The stables are full of horses cows and small farm animals. My daughter is helping with the horses all day. My wife is treasurer. I'm unofficial volunteer hospitality coordinator. I've got coffee and tea going for everyone as they arrive to set up. At lunch time I'm going to BBQ burgers dogs and smokies again for the volunteers. Same at supper.

20240817_090202.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Festival of the Little Hills.

A local street fair but huge in size.

Old St. Charles MO closes about 12 blocks of 2nd street and fills it with vendors of all kinds. Three days of Food and Crafts. Thousands of visitors and junk we really don't need but, we buy any way. We've enjoyed it every year since about 1985.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What a weekend. Phewf. We were all running our tails off for the fair. I cooked close to 170 burgers 100 hot dogs and about 50 smokies throughout the weekend keeping all the vendors and volunteers fed for the entire weekend. We had roughly 9000 people come through the gates over 3 days. When I wasn't cooking, I was back and forth keeping things stocked up in the makeshift kitchen area we set up at the back of a barn. I had cows behind me. Horses in front. And roosters/ chickens and other small farm animals on the other side of the wall.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My fencing club debit card got hacked.

So I'm dealing with the bank. No money gone. The fraud alert stopped 8 transactions in 1 day. Normally I might make 1 or 2 transactions a month with that card, to the same supplier.

But I need to get to the bank branch.

Fun times.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That sucks Bob. I finally stopped today. I was up at the fairgrounds at 6am. Couldn't sleep. I left my wife at the camper sleeping and drove home to shower after 3 days of bbqing greasy burgers. Dropped off the car at the local shop to get a fuel leak fixed. Then drove my son about an hour south to a camp for 3 days driving through back country roads mostly under construction getting new chip n seal. As soon as I got back to town, I was straight back to the fairgrounds to start loading and hauling everything home. The golf carts and sxs went first. Not bad. 8 minutes per trip and 5 minutes to load. I wasn't sparing any ponies.

Then I dropped the flat deck and went back to pin up to the older fifth wheel first. I hauled it to the city to dump the sewage then back home to drop it and head back for the remaining fifth wheel which still needed to be packed up. I got that one home, unhooked, leveled, slide out and plugged in so we can clean it out. We decided to take the kids for Chinese food in the city for supper. We're both beat.

Attachments

• 20240818_191655.jpg
    20240818_191655.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good news (for me)

I've been slowly feeling better with my new arthritis medicines (Enbrel). This week is actually the first week I've felt well enough to go out and do "real" work in the yard. Prior to the last couple of weeks, I've only done what needed to be done on the property.

I now feel well enough to go out and do work that I want to get done. It still hurts when I'm done, but I'm feeling good doing it and mentally it is a nice boost.

In the last couple of days I've cut back the tree line (mostly scrub trees under 2" diameter) along the roadway that were arching over and scratching the side of the school bus ... and pissing off the school bus driver. Approx 100' of branches and small trees where cut back and removed.

Today I did a similar thing, again, mostly under 2" diameter, along a chain link fence line, about 75' worth was cut out. This is a project that needs to be done about every 3rd year. I can now walk along the "woods" side of the fence line up to my stopping point. I dragged most of the cut scrub out to the path, where I'll use the front end loader to haul it down to the burn pile. The rest of it was thrown over the fence INTO my pool yard. Piled it up and I'll haul it down to the burn pile tomorrow. I have another 75' to go, but that will likely be tomorrow, I've just showered and have to give a fencing lesson tonight.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Last time I worked, I trained three new Filipino nurses at our facility.
I think they're going to fit in well.
They are with us now on a three year contract.
Marlu was hoping to work for our fire department also, but they told him he can't yet and he's an RN and was a firefighter in the Philippines.
I've been pretty busy!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Why oh why did I pick the hottest f'n day in August to haul out the chainsaw and do some much needed widening of the driveway? I was only out there for 2 hours this morning cutting down trees and clearing up the brush and I was soaked. It's 104F and humid.
20240826_101128.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Saturday sold one of our motorcycles. I was happy with the price. Buyer was older than me, downgrading from a BMW1200. Nice guy, I spent a couple hours with him and his son, they live fairly close by.

Sunday had lunch with my brother. Celebrating his 65th. His wife and daughter were there. We had Kobe. His best friend was also in attendance. Casual lunch at a brew pub near their home, band played. Cake was pretty amazing.

praying vegetation killer. Pulling weeds. Filling the pool. Watering flowers and bushes. Until the heat was too much to bear, then I retreated inside. This evening was our fencing club Saber Cup event. It is a multi-month event. So this was just a fight for some of the cumulative points. One of my collegiate girl fencers attended. She was undefeated tonight. Finished 3rd in the event. Not bad since she didn't fence much in the past 18 months. She will travel with me to Purdue on Saturday to beat up on some of those fencers. I've known her since she was a kid. She is now in graduate school and was recruited by the University of Durham in England, a school with a superior fencing team! She will depart for the UK in about 2 weeks.

Tomorrow a guy MAY BE coming to look at my other motorcycle. I'd love to sell it, just to make room in my garage. I'm so tempted to ride, I really want to ride, it would be SERIOUSLY UNSAFE for me to ride.. But my wrist has been in brace for the past month. Damn I miss not riding. This is very frustrating to be taken out by a medical issue.

Tomorrow late afternoon I have fencing lessons again.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Exercised, did some errands and chatted with a young lady in Walmart. She told me she was on crutches from being in the National Guard. She didn't realize there is a very good chance she qualifies for a disability. I gave her the phone number of the County Veterans' office. I told her the lady who works there is very qualified and enthusiastic about helping Veterans. I sure hope that helps her out!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Hoping the damn yellow jackets are finally going to GO.
I've had a problem with them for weeks now.
They're getting in above my front door, where the aluminum molding has a slight crack opening.
They have NOT been coming into my apartment at all.

I've gone through two whole cans of Raid and Spectricide (sp), sprayed directly in the hole.
It would kill maybe a dozen at a time, which I could see on the mat in front of my door.

I called my landlord when it first became a problem.
She sent one of the guys here a few days ago, and nothing. Still buzzing in and out.
Today I told her something has to be done!
Mike came back, zapped them again and hung this yellow jacket trap from my porch light, directly below where they've been entering.
As of 3 hrs ago, I've seen not one flying in and out.
If it continues, they're going to have professional a exterminator come and spray a dust inside the hole, then seal it off.
In the coming months, we're all getting roof replacements and the eaves.
I bet once they tear into mine, they're going to find a big surprise.

1000022123.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
They're getting in above my front door, where the aluminum molding has a slight crack opening.

I've gone through two whole cans of Raid and Spectricide (sp), sprayed directly in the hole.
It would kill maybe a dozen at a time, which I could see on the mat in front of my door.

She sent one of the guys here a few days ago, and nothing. Still buzzing in and out.
Mike came back, zapped them again and hung this yellow jacket trap from my porch light, directly below where they've been entering.
If it continues, they're going to have professional a exterminator come and spray a dust inside the hole, then seal it off.

View attachment 182693
Its the season, I have got stung twice in the last 3 weeks, once preparing to start the bulldozer on the mountain and again looking at a truck. I am making some home made wasp/hornet killer. Mix a tablespoon of boric acid with some fruit juice and put it in a container they can't get trapped in. They take it back to the hive and it kills all of them.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Marty.
I have not seen a single one out there flying around now as of about 20 minutes ago.
Believe me, I've kept checking lol
If the queen is killed, then the others vacate and don't return right?
And there isn't a single one in the trap either.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Waiting for the excavator operator to show up and remove the rest of the trees and a single car garage so he can dig the
basement for our new home, just 20ft from the old one. He has GPS in the pins of the bucket so the hole will be "digital' Lol.
We have to decide once the site is clear exactly where the corners of the house will be.
Harvest and a wedding of our youngest daughter along with building a new house. The next couple of months will interesting indeed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter

View attachment 182693

This is what we've been using at camp for yellow jackets. Put sugar water in it and they fly in but can't escape. We got it at our local dollar store.

17249526001102127114517721600085.jpg
17249528505622366354010583393210.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a text from work this am that two staff members have covid.
Well, now we all have to test before we start a shift, which for me will be Sunday night, my last overnight 3rd shift I'll be on for a while.

I've gone back to shorter shifts 6p-10p med pass only and whatever else I can do to keep busy.

It's been a pleasure to train new nurses lately, and I mean these are REALLY good nurses, which is what we need at that place.
My time is finally coming to a slow end of 44 years doing what I love best.

Thank you Flo Nightingale for falling into my heart all those years ago.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a text from work this am that two staff members have covid.
Well, now we all have to test before we start a shift, which for me will be Sunday night, my last overnight 3rd shift I'll be on for a while.

I've gone back to shorter shifts 6p-10p med pass only and whatever else I can do to keep busy.

It's been a pleasure to train new nurses lately, and I mean these are REALLY good nurses, which is what we need at that place.
My time is finally coming to a slow end of 44 years doing what I love best.

Thank you Flo Nightingale for falling into my heart all those years ago.
Nursing is much like being a Marine is many ways.
Hard service to your fellow citizens.
It never leaves you.

Even when you retire, you will always be one.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up late because I coached at Purdue last night. Practice ends at midnight EASTERN time. I live 90 minutes away, but "gain" an hour because I live in CENTRAL time. So left campus at midnight, arrived home 90 minutes later at 12:30am. But was caffeinated, too caffeinated. So awake until 3:30am.

Woke up at 8:30am today. Felt fine. Did various errands. Went to the store. Stuff around the house. All good. Then late afternoon I hopped on the lawn tractor and mowed the lawn. Normally a non issue.

Literally crawled off the tractor and limped to the house. My Rheumatoid Arthritis kicked my ass all at once. That is not normal. Took 3 advil + 1 tramadol and sat down for 90 minutes. No effect. WTF?

Drove to pick up a toy for Kobe, 40 minute drive each way, the drugs partially kicked in. Felt OK while driving there and back. Again, I crawled out of the car and limped into the house.

Bourbon now for the pain. It is helping but I'm still hurting. This is when I really wonder about marijuana and if 'vaping' or 'edibles' might help me with pain management. Never tied it. Not legal in my state. But I literally live on the state line and it is legal on the other side of the state line.

While I type this and ponder CBD I'm watching the Tommy Robinson documentary SILENCED regarding the UK law-fare against him, the media bias, and muslim rape gangs. So far, pretty compelling documentary. If you think Trump is being mistreated, this guy is facing the same thing, but this guy is a working class guy, not a billionaire. He is fighting back.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what we've been using at camp for yellow jackets. Put sugar water in it and they fly in but can't escape. We got it at our local dollar store.

View attachment 182749View attachment 182750
I have various wasps and yellow jackets.

But what really annoy me is the simple HOUSE FLY

For Wasps and Yellow Jackets I use spray and go, aggressively at their nests.

For House Flies I use stink traps. Similar to your trap. But prefilled with some sort of stink bait. Just add water. Hang it and it seems to attract flies. But the traps smell, actually they STINK. But they catch/kill HUNDREDS of house flies.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up late because I coached at Purdue last night. Practice ends at midnight EASTERN time. I live 90 minutes away, but "gain" an hour because I live in CENTRAL time. So left campus at midnight, arrived home 90 minutes later at 12:30am. But was caffeinated, too caffeinated. So awake until 3:30am.

Woke up at 8:30am today. Felt fine. Did various errands. Went to the store. Stuff around the house. All good. Then late afternoon I hopped on the lawn tractor and mowed the lawn. Normally a non issue.

Literally crawled off the tractor and limped to the house. My Rheumatoid Arthritis kicked my ass all at once. That is not normal. Took 3 advil + 1 tramadol and sat down for 90 minutes. No effect. WTF?

Drove to pick up a toy for Kobe, 40 minute drive each way, the drugs partially kicked in. Felt OK while driving there and back. Again, I crawled out of the car and limped into the house.

Bourbon now for the pain. It is helping but I'm still hurting. This is when I really wonder about marijuana and if 'vaping' or 'edibles' might help me with pain management. Never tied it. Not legal in my state. But I literally live on the state line and it is legal on the other side of the state line.

While I type this and ponder CBD I'm watching the Tommy Robinson documentary SILENCED regarding the UK law-fare against him, the media bias, and muslim rape gangs. So far, pretty compelling documentary. If you think Trump is being mistreated, this guy is facing the same thing, but this guy is a working class guy, not a billionaire. He is fighting back.

I can relate. After my accident 9 years ago, they prescribed me percs for pain management. I was sitting at home barely able to move still in physical pain but spaced out like a zombie. I was on this 13 months until I went to the hospital for surgery and they switched me to Lyrica which did absolutely nothing for back pain but as a lovely side effect caused me to gain 40lbs in 3 months. My family doctor suggested that I try it out. Up until that point in my life, I had never so much as touched it let alone smoke it. I can honestly say that it helps.

In years past, we would travel to Duluth Minnesota to go to concerts and shopping. Here's the kicker. It's legal here for both medical and recreational. It's legal in Minnesota for medical with a prescription. I have a prescription but it's not valid in the states. So I'm legal both here and in Minnesota technically but for that 150ft at the border, I'm illegally transporting it across a national border. So I leave it home. In a span of about 12 hours, I went from being able to walk around normally to being stuck in a mobility scooter to get around for 3 days as I was in severe pain. And barely able to endure the 4 hr drive home to sit for days recovering. So, we no longer plan overnight trips to Minnesota despite it only being a 45 minute drive from my house. Oh well, guess the government prefers to have people zoned out on percs so they get their big kick back in taxes.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've tried vaping and eatables for my persistent back pain. Sadly all it did was make me feel strange. Not a good feeling. But I have talked to some who says it helps them a lot. So it depends on the pain and the person. Might as well give it a try and find out for yourself. Good luck.