• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Polaris Sportsman 700???

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I run a traxter 500 the thing pulls like a diesel pretty good on gas and about impossible to roll. if there is a down side it is that it rides like a gen 1 dodge truck.

I had one of those. Basically weld the axle right to the frame and call it a suspension.:hammer: Tough truck though.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went out again yesterday for a few hours riding. Brought the oldest boy and his little 125 Yamaha. The thing still looks and runs like new for an '89. It was my grandfather's. I remember him taking me out riding it when it was new. I was the same age as my son.

e8ugeqyh.jpg
uhyvejub.jpg
u5etugeg.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still have the old polaris 700. Still runs great and rides like I'm sitting in my recliner at home. About the only thing I have had to do was replace a couple split axle boots. I'm shopping for a replacement though. With my back issues now I don't get out riding the way I'd like. So now I have an itch for a side by side. Needs to be less than 60" wide to fit on my trailer. I was looking at a cf moto 500 today. Nice machine and well built but not much for leg room. Only a couple inches wider than the polaris. I'm in no rush. I'll find something.

Duder

Just got back from looking at a used one with fairly low miles for the year and all around in good shape for a good price. Are these good atv's?

My other option in my price range is a Yamaha 400 4x4. It's 2 years older with more miles for the same price roughly.

I'm leaning towards the 700 simple because it's closer. The 400 is 7 hrs away. I also looked at an older 400 sportsman but one walk around it and that was enough for me.
I'm new to this,I have a question about my polaris sportsman can you help me out

Duder

I have 2006 700 sportsman it dies when I give it throttle I was told it was the cdi box it is no longer available is there something else I can do to replace it with another year model or an upgrade

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Fast forward a bit. I had loaned out the old sportsman 700 to my stepson a couple years ago for a few months. He did an oil change then. It sat around barely moving during the summer around the yard as I've been using the cfmoto for everything. My back and arms are finally able to ride it again after 9 years. I did an oil change on it this morning and greased it up. The battery wasn't holding enough charge after being on the charger for 24 hrs and needs replacing. It's the same size as the cfmoto so I pulled that one and installed it. The rear brake wasn't working for the past 4 years which is why I haven't been using it much. Turns out the master cylinder piston was gummed up from sitting. I freed it up and took it out for a quick ride down my trails. It works great. Brakes work. Fan kicks in and out as it should. I'm bringing it to camp to go for a trial run tomorrow.
20240703_164003.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Let me elaborate a bit on that oil change.😡

It involved a few choice words trying remove the oil filter along with some creative use of a hammer and assortment of screwdrivers and pry bars. Here's what's left of the filter.
20240703_113110.jpg

My stepson apparently felt it needed 300ft pounds of torque to secure the filter when he installed it. Same with the drain plug. It's an Allen key head. I had to use a 2ft breaker bar on the Allen key to remove it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Let me elaborate a bit on that oil change.😡

It involved a few choice words trying remove the oil filter along with some creative use of a hammer and assortment of screwdrivers and pry bars. Here's what's left of the filter. View attachment 180057

My stepson apparently felt it needed 300ft pounds of torque to secure the filter when he installed it. Same with the drain plug. It's an Allen key head. I had to use a 2ft breaker bar on the Allen key to remove it.
Been there when the filter wrench, just won't do it. If you have the clearance a big pipe wrench on the rim right next to where it scores on can get those off.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I spent some time at camp with my 14 yr old son last week working on the 700. We changed the air filter. I picked up a new set of plugs as well thinking we'd easily change those. Wrong. We ended up winching the quad up on the trailer to bring home after the metal electrode inside the plug cap broke off rusted to the plug cap. Tried using pliers to remove it and snapped off the plug. I went out this morning, soaked it with engine degreaser and used the pressure washer to get it cleaned. Blew it down with an air hose. Then sprayed some lubricant around the plug. I was able to get it off with the stock provided socket and a long screwdriver.

20240806_122202.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Then sprayed some lubricant around the plug. I was able to get it off with the stock provided socket and a long screwdriver.
Is a product called Kroil available in your area? I haven't found a rusted bolt (or in your case, spark plug) that it couldn't loosen up. For really rusty or locked items, let the Kroil sit on it for a day then break it loose.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got them both out. I used a product similar to Kroil. Let it soak after soaking the engine in degreaser and pressure washing it first then hitting it with an air hose before soaking it with penetrating spray. The metal contact inside the plug cap was rusted to the plug. I drove to the city and went to a couple places to find a replacement without any luck. They'd have to order and it would be 110 at polaris. No thanks. I remembered that I had a spare universal ngk plug cap sitting in an unopened pkg on my toolbox. It worked great. Same depth as the original. I immediately put it to work relocating patio furniture we had down by our old fire pit. We're relocating the pit so I had to move everything anyway.

20240806_151041.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So apparently I'm a dumbass. The exhaust on the sportsman was getting louder and louder every time I started it along with rattling. I had a baffle set for the exhaust in my Amazon cart. When I went to grab the spark plug cap on my toolbox, I found an exhaust gasket and baffle set sitting unopened in a package. Apparently I ordered it 4 years ago and forgot about it. Bonus. It came with new springs, 2 exhaust baffles, and a gasket for the y pipe. It was an easy install. The old sportsman is running line new again.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I tasked my 14 yr old to run the old sportsman around. He used it a couple weekends ago when we were at the fair to get back and forth to our house. The fuel was about 3 yrs old in it. I put a good dose of seafoam and topped it off with fresh fuel. I checked it today. He's almost down to reserve. I filled it up with fresh gas and took it for a longer ride up at higher speeds. It ran great. A little backfire when letting off the throttle at higher speeds. But everything worked great. I had to stop and adjust the air pressure in the tires as I had filled the front ones too much. But she's ready for hunting season.

(the picture is from yesterday on one of my back trails on our property where I discovered someone recently had a fire and a bottle of gin)
20240828_105247.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I tasked my 14 yr old to run the old sportsman around. He used it a couple weekends ago when we were at the fair to get back and forth to our house. The fuel was about 3 yrs old in it. I put a good dose of seafoam and topped it off with fresh fuel. I checked it today. He's almost down to reserve. I filled it up with fresh gas and took it for a longer ride up at higher speeds. It ran great. A little backfire when letting off the throttle at higher speeds. But everything worked great. I had to stop and adjust the air pressure in the tires as I had filled the front ones too much. But she's ready for hunting season.

(the picture is from yesterday on one of my back trails on our property where I discovered someone recently had a fire and a bottle of gin)
View attachment 182751
How old are the kids? Might want to set up a trail cam in that area

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our youngest is 15. Oldest is 21. Wasn't any of them. But yes. I'm putting a trail cam back there. Same as my neighbor. I informed him of what I found as well.