• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg Identification

morewood

I'm obviously new here and I assume I can't add pics yet. I've been looking for a larger rotary cutter/bush hog to expand my business. I found an old Bombardier with a larger cutter on the front run by a 117hp 2 stroke Detroit Diesel. Even has a nice winch on the back. It was used by a large construction company to clear areas where they were doing road and bridge work. They parked it in the owners back yard and it's been there for years. I can't find more than one metal tag in the cab with any information. It refers to the rops certification, but not sure if there are other tags I should be looking for. It looks ugly, but everything is solid including the belts, grousers, wheels. Thanks for any help guys.

J5 Bombardier

Should be a serial no: stamped on the Rht side front bumper on the edge , but sometimes it gets scuffed off with wear and tear . Inside the cab around the dash area ,Drivers seat box, possible location of a plate , but they can disappear also . Post some pics when you can.
J5 Bombardier

morewood

The one tag in the cab I've found so far referred to model M.T.D and had GM-4.53 both where it said model. By serial number it has 311880130. Didn't find anything else, but I plan on going back to look at it tomorrow.

J5 Bombardier

Bombardier Archives shows your machine was produced in 1983 , one of a batch that went to Belisle Track Sales Ltd . M.T.D , I would say is, Muskeg Tractor Diesel , that detroit motor is mounted behind the cab correct , making it a tractor. The Muskeg made right after yours "31" is a M.C.D , " muskeg carrier diesel"
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• 20240204_052512.jpg
    20240204_052512.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240204_052710 - Copy.jpg
    20240204_052710 - Copy.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 21

morewood

Correct, it's hooked to a five speed transmission (according to the plate on the dash). Small single seat cab. It has a decent size hydraulic pump attached to the front of the motor... almost in line with the crank. Haven't gone deep enough to see how it's attached. The welds for some of the brackets look factory. Also the arms coming back from the cutter look original. It appears to have hubs of some sort if that means anything. Did the factory ever produce these with attachments?

Shea

J5 Bombardier

There are a few groups on Facebook , lots of info .
It does say modified in french beside those batch of machines in the book , were they prepping them before sending them outside to get the chopper / cutter installed , don't know. Those books are like reading a doctor's prescription.
Post some pics when you can.
J5 bombardier

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like what some people call a Muskeg "Jimmy Skidder". Cab is pretty square ?

I've 'heard' that there were structural modifications to beef it up and the tracks were heavier. Are all the tires solid ?

morewood

IMG_20240122_154429314_HDR.jpg

Ok, I'm not afraid to ask...... where's the clutch at??

Concerning the tracks, tires. Yes, they are all solid tires and seem to be in decent shape considering it has sat here for five or more years.

Shea

morewood

I know there seems to be plenty of surface rust, but nowhere did I find anything substantial. A major pressure washing would yield a much better looking machine. I'm trying to get an accurate idea of what it is and machine concerns before making an offer for it. He's a very nice guy, let's me stop and look over it for any information. It's sitting at his deceased father's place that they are renovating for family. They plan on getting rid of it soon. If there are other things to get pics of let me know.

Shea

J5 Bombardier

Nice pics , first one I've seen set up like that. That detroit must be working hard turning that pump to keep that brush hog going.
Nice machine ! J5 Bombardier

morewood

I saw brochures with a rotary cutter from the factory, but none like this with lift arms and such. They were from the early/mid 70s. If it's worth anything and is still usable I would consider making the brush cutter detachable to either use various other attachments or just the machine without it. The cab has two windows with cracks, would fix that while adding appropriate lighting and fixing everything else in the cab. I'll take any and all information with thanks. Any questions I'll try to answer. Hopefully we can find an agreeable number for it.....but I don't have a clue right now.

Shea

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It's a beast ! Looks like another I saw in NH years ago.

Is that a dead bird on your foot lol

Clutch is on the left. Brakes are in your hands.

I agree that the engine might not be up to both mulching and moving.

I think the weight number is way too low. The solid tires and heavy track and all the hyd. plumbing add lots of weight.

morewood

No dead birds that I remember. From first hand accounts that machine is an absolute beast. That engine is rated at 117hp and probably more than 300lb-ft of torque. Drive losses in a forward low range wouldn't be so bad that it couldn't also cut effectively. I bet the weight is machine empty only. The cutter is over built and with both of those hydraulic tanks I wouldn't be shocked with 1500lb extra at a minimum.

I saw three smaller bombardiers com up for auction in Maine over the fall. They all came from some public works/wildlife entity. That's what got me thinking about this thing.

Shea

morewood

No dead birds that I remember. From first hand accounts that machine is an absolute beast. That engine is rated at 117hp and probably more than 300lb-ft of torque. Drive losses in a forward low range wouldn't be so bad that it couldn't also cut effectively. I bet the weight is machine empty only. The cutter is over built and with both of those hydraulic tanks I wouldn't be shocked with 1500lb extra at a minimum.

I saw three smaller bombardiers com up for auction in Maine over the fall. They all came from some public works/wildlife entity. That's what got me thinking about this thing.

Shea

J5 Bombardier

3700 kg stamped at the factory , 4 ton sounds a little light , but all the brush cutter stuff would have been done after leaving the factory I believe. Rust , cosmetics is not a problem , I'm sure the Jimmy would fire up after a little coaxing , if it moves and steers that's a bonus ( diff parts are pricey) Flat crossers which you don't see much, easier on the ground) , all solid wheels , detroit power with possible a reverser that's a nice machine. If it was mine I'd chuck the brush cutter and run it as a tractor, you can never have enough Muskegs.........
J5 Bombardier

morewood

It does have a reverser to the left of the shifter, I forgot that tag was on the dash. There is something to the right of it, not sure what that is. I'll be honest, not sure what flat crossers are. If I'm thinking grousers, they aren't flat....U shaped if that's an accurate description. What's the easiest....if that's even possible....to check the diff.

Shea

morewood

It does have a reverser to the left of the shifter, I forgot that tag was on the dash. There is something to the right of it, not sure what that is. I'll be honest, not sure what flat crossers are. If I'm thinking grousers, they aren't flat....U shaped if that's an accurate description. What's the easiest....if that's even possible....to check the diff.

Shea

J5 Bombardier

Hard to tell on the grousers, going by one pic , not important either way.
As for diffs and planataries there are some I've posted on my threads and lots others have posted , it's all there to read on the restoration forum.
J5 Bombardier

morewood

Shea

morewood

I've been exceptionally busy of late so I haven't got back to any questions and such. I finally got an opportunity to talk to the owner and he was nice to talk to. He remembers it being bought from an auction in Florida probably in the late 80s. Funny how things travel. He believes the transmission was rebuilt at some point. Soooo, he hopes to get $3k for it. I don't have a decent enough amount of information to know what a good number is. That seems ok, but can any of you give me an idea what they generally go for?

morewood

I assumed that. We were hoping to get it and have it moved at that price, we'll see. I did go and look at a couple of things. The Braden winch is pto driven and the hydraulic pump is belt driven (x2) off of the crank pulley. I think the cutter and setup came new. Everything is too well engineered and put together to be a cobbled up job. The rear winch mounting job is seriously heavy duty. Will probably figure out how to add a pintle hitch to it. I'll know next week whether I become a member of the owners club, but don't see why it won't happen.

morewood

We came to an agreement, it's coming home soon. I cleaned up around it and hope to move it by the beginning of next week. Got plenty of better pictures.
IMG_20240423_183622364_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240423_183636066_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240423_183622364_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240423_183636066_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240423_183659014_HDR.jpg