• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What to do in South Dakota?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_9227.jpeg
IMG_9228.jpeg
Posted this in awesome pics yesterday. Looks neat. Not to far from Crazy Horse.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
With the exception of the Black-hills in the far west, there are virtually no trees in S Dakota. Except along the upper Missouri river. Beautiful scenery.
Into nature, try that.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. We booked a 7-day trip. We'll hit all the highlights but won't be making it to the eastern part of the state.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OOPS. Flew down to FL this morning. Supposed to fly from here to SD on Wednesday.
Hurricane Milton is heading straight for us. It's a couple days out but I'm giving it a 50/50 chance that we'll catch a plane out to SD on Wednesday.
Anticipating we may have to hunker down in FL, we've been getting our preps together. Tried to get out to the stores today but it's a mad house. Will try again tomorrow when people are at work.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at windy, I don't think you are leaving Florida Wednesday
Yea, they're saying 50MPH with 85MPH gusts at the time we're supposed to fly out.
I'm thinking the airline will say that's a bit too much.
Good news is we're cleaning out the fridge & freezer. The 2 of us just ate about 5 pounds of Alaskan king crab and a pound of bacon. :)

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I've been to 43 states. I consider South Dakota the friendliest of them all. I've been all over South Dakota for work, as well as for vacations. Big or small cities, they are all friendly. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's Monday but they already cancelled our flight to SD on Wednesday. :(
We'll hunker down here until the hurricane passes then go back home.
Please keep us posted how you are as soon as you can after the storm has passed you by. Understand you will most likely be without power and cell service for a while. Best wishes.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will do Doc. I'm "thinking" our power and cell service will stay on. Our area has all the power lines buried so outages are very rare.
The eye of the hurricane will be going about 15 miles north of us. The current forecast thinks it will only be a cat-1 when it gets to our area.

Oh - And as it relates to South Dakota, we were able to re-book everything to go out this Saturday. Our departure airport is closed right now. Hoping they get it back open by Saturday.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our power must have gone out for a short period overnight as all the clocks need resetting but otherwise, all is good here. Still windy and a little rain but most of the hurricane has passed.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm on my phone and don't type very well. Lots to see here. So far:
Day 1 - Badlands, wall drug, air force museum, mt Rushmore, crazy horse.

Day 2 - hot springs, mammoth cave, wind cave, Custer np, iron mountain road, needle hwy, sylvan lake.

Day 3 - Aladdin, devils tower, spearfish canyon, Lead, Sanford lab homestake mine, deadwood, wild bill hickock cemetary, northern black hills forest.