• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Sno Cat Trailer New To Me

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
#TuckerSnoCatTrailer#TrackAddict#EastCoastPreserve#DaviScottSKI#CooperFAB#SawtoothREDS#SAWTOOTHlimitededition#1of1NE#OE#HeritageCollection

#comingsoon…..

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
very Brian like to tease, tease, and tease, sounds like a very special project...Brian#

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How many trailers came with mounted shovel and axe from the factory and/or dealer?
IMG_4490.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is not a ton of information available on Tucker trailers outside of photos even though many models were produced and are pictured in early literature.

The nomenclature from I have found seems to be by weight rating (tons) and/or model no which was features and or weight rating. It is quite likely the Tucker factory (west coast dealer) and Sno Cat Corp of NH (east coast dealer) had unique variants and branding especially during the early years.

Sno Cats produced into at least the 70’s came from the factory with a dash tag that said TOW EXCESS LOADS ON SKI TRAILERS.

What’s interesting is literature and photos seem to stop around the time Ed Gil Corp became the (east coast dealer) in the late 60’s and maybe prior.

Experts surmise that trailers tended to live with Tucker Sno Cats that did not have to be trailered for use and had specific task design such as people or gear hauling. Try taking a trailer on trailer and you will agree :)

East Coast Preserve puts forward a hypothesis that a confluence of factors such as Tucker Sno Cat model evolution with increased gear/people capacity, ski chairlift technology advancements, and other snow vehicle/machines entering the market obsoleted the highly coveted SKI TRAILERS long before availability ended if someone truly wanted one.
IMG_6841.jpeg

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The SKI TRAILERS did not have the typical Tucker serial# plates or motor serial # to reference lineage.

Any badging known was a decal or hand painted nomenclature from what I have learned. This one has none that left on the body I can find so far.

As I was cleaning up the trailer frame in preparation for preservation, I noticed a unique stamp on the pintle hitch.

Pintle hitches from what I can tell didn’t start until the heavier A model Tucker Sno Cat variants came to be in 1960’s which is about when the trailer advertising and specimens stopped. I think the fiberglass pontoons coincide with the birth of the a models which needed wider rails than the steel pontoons

This one has IDAHO stamped on the pintle and what looks to be mountains above. Clearly done by hand in Tucker fashion but very not Tucker at the same time. Don’t know of dealer/distributor in the 🥔 state so maybe this is a Model designation of sorts?

IMG_4560.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
East Coast Preserve looks to improve serviceability for the future while maintaining the Tucker design where possible.

The Ski Trailer hitch must rotate and pivot to follow terrain behind the Sno Cat. Machined bronze thrust washers instead of steel will reduce the hitch pivot tube wear during use. Thicker in the back where the majority of force and wear will occur.

Service schedule at 100 mile/annual intervals will be to disassemble hitch shaft, lubricate with low temp grease, and inspect bolt, nut, and front/rear bronze thrust washers for wear. Replace as needed.

IMG_4566.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some Ski Trailers had wheels and some did not. This seemed to depend on size/model and use case. Service life that required traversing road or low/no snow conditions would have need them where a ski resort probably would not. It is probable that the wheels were removed and lost in due to hassle or change in use.

The wheels are stowed pivoted up when not in use. Early Ski Tuckers and Trailers had various designs to stow the wheels in the up position.

This trailer has a clever dual purpose design that not only stows the tire but also converts to a table frame. It tucks out of the way when the wheels are removed or in use and the table legs stow neatly in the frame.

My guess the frame had removable wood tables and this trailer was designed for grillin and chilling!
IMG_4570.jpeg
IMG_4571.jpeg
IMG_4572.jpeg
IMG_4573.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Digging through literature archives and I found a 1967 parts list from Ed Gill (east coast distributor at the time). Wood and fiberglass were listed for sale up though at lease 1972 documentation that came with my 1973 1443.

No literature about trailer sales in anything Ed Gil I have found so far.

Curious what a fiberglass ski looked like and what the ski wax consisted of?

IMG_4610.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ski Trailers had panel finishes that ranged from wood, to steel, to aluminum, and I would gamble even fiberglass.

This model was built lightweight aluminum body panels. My guess is low weight was a design factor for this mystery model.

#10 screws and nuts were what was on it before me. Stainless closed rivets will be the fastener for final assembly.
IMG_4622.jpeg

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I have seen from Tucker, accessories such as axe/shovel holder were added after the base Sno Cat production both before and after paint. The dealer might have outfitted accessories much later in life also.

The fastener would have been a flathead/philips screw with a hex/possibly square nut depending on year and outfitter. Here we will keep that theme but upgrade to stainless philips head with acorn nuts for aesthetics safety.

IMG_4654.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker Ski Trailer documentation and photos I have found so far depicts passenger bench seating facing forward or bench seating back to back sideways facing outward.

The seating arrangement on this one has a clever design that puts the seating on the outside facing in.

This unique setup creates an efficient, versatile, spacious trailer. This model had to have been built purpose designed to haul people, gear, cargo or a combination. Fun in and around SUN possibly…

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4658.jpeg

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker mostly used plywood for Sno Cat and Trailer flooring/decking for cost and time savings. This trailer has another interesting design anomaly from traditional building.

The deck boards on this model are white ash that has wide spacing. My best guess is that this was engineered to help reduce/remove sno, ice, water, and debris encountered during service life.

There is also a cleat that runs front to back right under front edge of the seat. This creates a very useful storage space for gear of all kinds.
IMG_4756.jpeg
IMG_4753.jpeg
IMG_4757.jpeg
IMG_4758.jpeg
IMG_4754.jpeg
IMG_4755.jpeg

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This model has additional decking tabs added to move the fasteners away from the end.

Much like plywood used in the cats that were not always fastened, the trailers were probably the same.

The frame angle iron width didn't leave much room for fastening individual deck boards my guess so these are added.
IMG_4765.jpeg
IMG_4764.jpeg