• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thoughts on Ohara Caliber?

tahoesnowcat

There is an Ohara Caliber for sale locally, and it looks pretty nice. I have an LMC 1500 which is great and works for us, but I wouldn't mind something more modern. What are people's thoughts on the Ohara Caliber. Seems like there is very little information about them, and not a long history of making snowcats.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent a day backcountry skiing with one about 15 years ago. Paul Leck was the local sales rep and demonstrated one for us. Full cab model with rear hatch entry, front plow, no tiller. Yanmar diesel, hydrostatic drive, high/low power. Worked pretty good on Vail Pass at 11,000' carrying 6 of us around on a powder day. I remember it being easy to operate with plenty of power in low and plenty fast in high and would auto-rotate. Negatives were the rear sideways seating and the weight to track footprint was such that our A-Model Sprytes would float better in Rocky Mtn snow conditions. Very similar to the Prinoth T-2. Finding parts might be an issue. Paul closed shop and moved to Panama so question, is there another US distributer? So yea, thumbs up on the machine but... if you have a good running wide track 1500 why do you want the hassle of diesel/hydro?

tahoesnowcat

Spent a day backcountry skiing with one about 15 years ago. Paul Leck was the local sales rep and demonstrated one for us. Full cab model with rear hatch entry, front plow, no tiller. Yanmar diesel, hydrostatic drive, high/low power. Worked pretty good on Vail Pass at 11,000' carrying 6 of us around on a powder day. I remember it being easy to operate with plenty of power in low and plenty fast in high and would auto-rotate. Negatives were the rear sideways seating and the weight to track footprint was such that our A-Model Sprytes would float better in Rocky Mtn snow conditions. Very similar to the Prinoth T-2. Finding parts might be an issue. Paul closed shop and moved to Panama so question, is there another US distributer? So yea, thumbs up on the machine but... if you have a good running wide track 1500 why do you want the hassle of diesel/hydro?

Great feedback! Appreciate all the insights. You're probably right, may not be worth the extra hassle.