• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Suspension Connection

gabbott3

Any secrets to making the connection from Spring Housing to Tandem Axle ( Beam ) ???
Tried ratchet strap, but had a lot of tension. Got to within a half inch.
Any advice ??

Attachments

• Suspenion.jpg
    Suspenion.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

jflarin

Hi,
Yes it is very hard (each time)
What I remember using is vice grips over the shaft to stop the shaft from retracting into the spring can. Yes that will affect the nice paint job you did (?) I would put everything together, but the tandem would not be on the spindle. Then I'll pull everything to compress the spring adding a new vice grip on the shaft as I can compress the spring. As soon as it is compressed enough, I would pull the tandem onto the spindle.
That means that the dual conical bearings are slack when I push the tandem onto the spindle, so that's a slack I use. Then, when it is on I can pull the whole thing a little bit more and then seat the bearing correctly. When screwing the washer holding the bearing together, that's how I end up putting the final force against the spring cannister.

I hope somebody has a better trick since I'd be using it as well!

jf