• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pond reclamation and right away mods ……

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I own between the red lines and everything right. Finally got the power company to do some clear cutting. The blue is/was a pond (currently has level but not much) for years until beaver moved/or someone killed them years ago. White is where the dam was and the out feed for the pond. Pond is fed from a small creek coming from the left and a few springs on the right, notice how steep it is on my side.

I’m bringing in a dozer to shape the right away. Right side is high, left is much lower. Trying to figure if I should slope it all or just manage 2 levels. Look close enough and you can see the buggy path coming down towards the pond, it sorta splits both levels. Right-away is approximately 6 acres.

Seeking thoughts and recommendation. TYIA

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not exactly sure what you're asking.
One thing you should consider doing is putting a "silt pond" on the side that's going to feed from the creek. Can't speak for your springs but mine don't get muddy.
When I say "silt pond", I'm talking about a small pond that's going to take the creek water before it feeds into the main pond.
This silt pond will collect any mud, debris or otherwise and collect it there so it doesn't go into your main pond. You then run a pipe or an overflow to the main pond.
When I say small, I'm thinking about something around 20' diameter. You want to make it small enough that you can get into with a backhoe or excavator. You can then scoop the silt/drudge out easily as needed (every few years, give or take depending on how much stuff comes in).

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not exactly sure what you're asking.
One thing you should consider doing is putting a "silt pond" on the side that's going to feed from the creek. Can't speak for your springs but mine don't get muddy.
When I say "silt pond", I'm talking about a small pond that's going to take the creek water before it feeds into the main pond.
This silt pond will collect any mud, debris or otherwise and collect it there so it doesn't go into your main pond. You then run a pipe or an overflow to the main pond.
When I say small, I'm thinking about something around 20' diameter. You want to make it small enough that you can get into with a backhoe or excavator. You can then scoop the silt/drudge out easily as needed (every few years, give or take depending on how much stuff comes in).
Prior the pond was always pristin. Feeder is over rock bottom creek but I research.

I’m asking if I should slope the whole rightaway top right to bottom left or leave the 2 level ridge that divides both. It a double rightaway, 2 sets of lines. Right one set higher than the left one.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who's operating the dozer? If you're bringing in a driver, I'd get his advise. On that slope, erosion control may be a major factor.
Oh, and what does the power company say about what you're allowed to do there?

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
@Big Dog check out Dirt Prefect channel on youtube he built quite a few dams on there.
Not that I'm an equipment operator like Mike or even close but he stresses the "key" in the dam to seal it off all rock , rooth paths has to be removed and sealed with the right dirt (clay).
A good excavator that knows soil types will be your best alli.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who's operating the dozer? If you're bringing in a driver, I'd get his advise. On that slope, erosion control may be a major factor.
Oh, and what does the power company say about what you're allowed to do there?
Both companies know and haven’t mentioned issue.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
@Big Dog check out Dirt Prefect channel on youtube he built quite a few dams on there.
Not that I'm an equipment operator like Mike or even close but he stresses the "key" in the dam to seal it off all rock , rooth paths has to be removed and sealed with the right dirt (clay).
A good excavator that knows soil types will be your best alli.
I have plenty rock, clay is close

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Refer to my previous picture. This is what I woke too. First is from the house side and second is looking at the the house side.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the bottom …. Not noticeable but the bottom has numerous finger feeders approx 16” wide 2’ deep. Started to plug up a bunch and blocked off the outfall. Bringing beavers in upon level, see how it goes. If they don’t do something, we’ll do a filled outfall.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 6

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One day of rain in 2 1/2 weeks. Waters holding, dirty from all the dozer dirt moving!

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After studying beaver relocation found out Summer is a bad time for it. They are taking care of kits. Fall and Spring are best. Don’t really need them now with the dam breast built. It’s starting to fill up too. It was pretty clear before yesterdays 2 1/2“ of rain ….. put some scrap in for critter cover, I plan to stock with at least some bluegill.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need a day or 2 of rain to get to the overflow. Ended up being double the size of the original, just about 2 acres now. Currently rising about 1-2 inches a day just from spring and runoff collection feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 5

J5 Bombardier

Beautiful pond and the fact you shored it up without the help of those furry varmints., it will be clean . Spring fed and stocked , nice .... nothing worse than "beaver water ".