• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Plowing with a 1404 Imp...your experiences?

BoyToys

Will be hauling my WT Imp up to my cabin next week, just ahead if what may be the first dusting of snow. If you've seen any of my meandering posts you'll know that I'm a novice with a huge learning curve ahead.
Mine came with a plow and I used it twice last winter to plow my drive at home, just to check it out...I'm talking a huge 2 inch snowfall :).
I plan on keeping my 150 foot cabin driveway plowed and perhaps 1/4 mile of dirt road leading to it so I can drive my 4x4 up.
So, realistically, how much snow can these things push? Not uncommon to have 30" sustained snow on the ground which means I would have to stay on top of it a couple times a month, maybe plowing a foot at a time. Or set the plow high and just scalp the top off in multiple passes. The snow is not super heavy, nor is it light powder. Call it Cascade Crud.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
My $0.02. Snowcats in general are not plows. Unless you have a type specific cat (SW series, groomers) they are not really made for it. That blade you have is more for removing drifts and sidehill work where you are taking a high and pushing it downhill to make a, more or less, level path.
Take it easy and multiple runs. Also remember early on to plow /really/ wide as you will run out of room to move the snow to. Is the road too steep just to use the cat to pack a smooth path and run the 4x4 on the packed snow?

BoyToys

My $0.02. Snowcats in general are not plows. Unless you have a type specific cat (SW series, groomers) they are not really made for it. That blade you have is more for removing drifts and sidehill work where you are taking a high and pushing it downhill to make a, more or less, level path.
Take it easy and multiple runs. Also remember early on to plow /really/ wide as you will run out of room to move the snow to. Is the road too steep just to use the cat to pack a smooth path and run the 4x4 on the packed snow?
Thanks for the input, kinda what I expected to hear. That's a thought about packing it down to create a path for the 4x4. Worse case is I park my 4x4 on the county road that is maintained, snowshoe up 1/4 mile to the cabin, fire up the cat and head back to the rig to gather up supplies. I've been going up there for 25 years and most times someone has plowed a single lane, so all I would need is to plow my driveway or at least a place to park off the road. Too bad I can't just park the cat somewhere down there but don't want it accessible to people with bad intentions.
Thanks.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What he said. Cat plows of old made for light fresh snow.

You could plow a snow road but stay far away from ice froze/wet snow, gravel, pavement etc.

Over the snow vehicle for the win!

BoyToys

What he said. Cat plows of old made for light fresh snow.

You could plow a snow road but stay far away from ice froze/wet snow, gravel, pavement etc.

Over the snow vehicle for the win!
Appreciate your insight. I think going forward my plan will be to run the plow high and just scalp the surface in multiple passes as needed. I don't want to put an extreme load on my C4 differential. It's not made for that sort of abuse and blowing it up would be a disaster.
Worse case I'll plow just a parking spot to get my 4-by off the road and be able to turn around. The rest will be just over the snow fun!