• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New GE washer dryer

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up a new 5.2 cubic food washing machine for the lovely Mrs_Bob because the old LG washer puked its bearings and the parts are no longer available. Bought the matching dryer because I would have caught 9 levels of hell if there was a new metallic charcoal washer parked next to an old red dryer.

Of course, both doors were hinged on the wrong side on the new appliances. Moving wet clothes into the dryer was awkward. So as the lovely Mrs_Bob is out of the house today I decided to use my YouTube Certified Contractor & Repairman skills and swap the hinges & locks around to reverse the door swings.

The tool needed for the washer included a single phillips head screw driver. Nothing else.

But the dryer needed a TORX driver, a NUT driver and a philips head screw driver. And, of course, I didn't realize that until I was sitting on the floor in front of the drier and I opened the door to take it all apart. Being arthritic and almost 64, getting back up off the floor was the hardest part of changing the door swing, but I had to go get a TORX driver and a NUT driver.

Dryer door was much faster than washer door, but that is not unexpected. Washer door has an electronic lock, sensors, and needs to be waterproof so it has a more robust hinge and required some simple wire swapping.

But all done!IMG_2674.jpeg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have the most simplistic Maytag setup we could find and like them.
One thing the Maytag may be better at is load size. Looks like your washer can handle 3 rags (or are those t-shirts?). :) :)
Kidding aside, nice setup.
What's that bubble on the interior of the dryer door?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's that bubble on the interior of the dryer door?
My guess is it is simply there to disrupt the laundry so it fall from the front to the middle of the drum.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much does that diminish capacity? From the outside, can you put your head in the bubble and watch some psychedelic colors fly around?

• Haha
Reactions: Doc

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got a Samsung front loading set similar to those but white. They handle LARGE loads which is a bonus in a household of 7. They're probably all made in the same Chinese factory anyway.