• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My cell phone is spying on me.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ever have a situation where you were talking to someone about something and ads start popping up on your phone about that product? It happened to me today. I hadn't searched for anything marine related for months and this morning, I went to a boat show. I got home and an ad for the exact same boat I was looking at appeared on my phone. I had to take a screenshot.

Screenshot_20240229_144104_Facebook.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For sure. No doubt about it. A few years ago on a trip to Amish country we were coming home and my sister in law asked for help shopping for tires for her Camry. No prob. Next day on my computer i had ads for tires. FB and one other site. Since then I've had it happen with other things. Sometimes I'll talk of something just to see if anything comes up. I'm sure there are key words. Plus your cell phone knows where you are with GPS so it knew you were at a boat show.
They do indeed spy on us.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some day they will use that phone to control you. That is the plan and right now I would say it might work.
That said my smart phone it a dumb phone. I spent considerable time making sure everything is turned off and
or denied. I check on that every month. I have caught it trying to run apps in the background and killed that as well.
Right now, it is pestering me to let its assistant help me.
No way in hell.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife and I were talking about falling and 15 minutes later I got suggestions about how to get up from the floor when you fall. I am not making this up.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know it happens.
Whenever I want to have a private conversation with someone (normally the Mrs), we ALWAYS make sure there's no electronic devices around that can listen in.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Happened again today though I never talked about it 😕. Since burning my finger a few weeks ago, I have been occasionally using latex gloves to protect the bandages. Well apparently temu thinks I need a 100 package of latex finger protectors as I keep seeing them in the ads. 🤣

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a Captain Kirk flip phone.
Old school.
I talk to myself all the time when driving, about all sorts of things, on long trips alone.

I get nothing.
Either my phone knows I am broke and cannot buy anything or,
Apparently, it cannot hear me.