• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

It Turns Out, Hybrids Are Really Hard On Engines

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
12:25 min.

Engineering Explained
Engineering Explained
3.88M subscribers

Oct 18, 2024
Hybrid vehicles are uniquely challenging due to the frequent engine start/stops, as well as lower overall engine temperatures, which can lead to water and fuel dilution. Sponsored by Mobil 1 – https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/ Hybrid vehicles are a great solution to improving fuel economy, but they have their own unique challenges. Because hybrid engines start & stop frequently, this often results in lower engine temperatures, which in turn can create issues with water and fuel dilution. Frequent start/stops, water, and fuel, can all create problems that exacerbate engine wear. To combat this, Mobil 1 has developed Mobil 1 hybrid, a full synthetic motor oil that is designed to meet the challenges that hybrid vehicles place on engines. This video will focus on three main subjects: how hybrids work, why hybrids are hard on engines, and what solutions exist to combat these challenges.
====================================================================================

Learned something here I had not realized.... :unsure: :tiphat:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This phenomenon is not limited to Hybrids.
Many post 2020 cars, that are not hybrids, have engines that start and stop frequently.
Supposedly to save fuel. However, it is brutal on starters and engine components. Keep in mind, the EMC must put the transmission into neutral and then back into gear every time.

Plus, every stop light that shuts the engine down, but maintains lights, radio, computers and fans, drains the battery system.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My '17 f150 has that stupid auto start stop feature. To anyone who says that it isn't hard on engines, my truck had 65k on it when I bought it. Shortly after, I was sitting at a red light on the hwy. The engine had shut down from the auto start stop feature. When I let off the brakes to restart the engine, lights started flashing and it went to a failsafe mode because of a dead spot in the starter. I had to turn the key off wait 10 seconds then reinsert the key. Meanwhile I'm still sitting dead at the stoplight that's now green with 2 live lanes of traffic coming from behind at 100km per hr. As soon as it refired, I got off the highway and drove straight to the dealership. They gave me a rental and replaced both the starter and battery under warranty. And my truck was only a yr old.

• Wow
Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This phenomenon is not limited to Hybrids.
Many post 2020 cars, that are not hybrids, have engines that start and stop frequently.
Supposedly to save fuel. However, it is brutal on starters and engine components. Keep in mind, the EMC must put the transmission into neutral and then back into gear every time.

Plus, every stop light that shuts the engine down, but maintains lights, radio, computers and fans, drains the battery system.
YUP, I agree, it is not limited to hybrids.

The Gubmint fuel standards are forcing all sorts of new technologies, each of which has its own trade off. The Start/Stop systems, especially in the city/suburbs with stop and go driving, have created all sorts of new issues.

We have a Hybrid vehicle, I occasionally drive it. At least in RURAL to semi-Suburban driving, I don't see any noticeable difference between driving the Hybrid and driving a traditional ICE vehicle, both of which are equipped with the Engine Stop/Start feature. The ONLY time I notice the electric motors is pulling out of the garage, while starting acceleration at the occasional stop light, etc.