• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cable TV's collapse deepens: '...there is no longer any floor'

Slant Eyed Polack

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. It took me longer to cut the cable, I cut it a bit over a year ago. It was a good move for me but unlike the article once I cut out cable I signed up for Hulu, Netflix, Paramount and Max. And I still have them all. I might drop Max soon but I watch the others semi daily.

I have found with streaming it is easier to drop a channel for months, like Paramount, let it show all the series you are interested in instead of watching weekly releases. Then sign up and watch it all in a week or three. I might do just that with Stallone's Tulsa King. I am spending less overall for TV service since cutting the cord. And it seems I have more options.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc
My wife really likes to watch Fox news, like channel 360 on directive. Do any of those 4 have the normal Foxnews?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hulu has all the Fox channels. Fox News and Fox Business etc. Has them live or you can set them to record and watch at your leisure.

edit to add:
I had direct tv for years. What I miss from them is the live guide that shows what shows are on. Otherwise I believe Hulu offers all the same channels as direct tv. Premium channels you can sign up with Hulu or off Hulu. I use the off Hulu option to keep them separate. Roku makes it easy. Love the Roku box. I use the box to avoid the bloat wear on smart TV's.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have never lived in a house that had cable TV

laulau15

Link: Cable TV's collapse deepens: 'It is becoming increasingly clear that there is no longer any floor'

Pay-TV distributors — that's conventional cable guys like Comcast, satellite TV outfits like DirecTV, and digital alternatives like YouTube TV — lost 1.6 million subscribers in the second quarter of 2024, according to analysts at MoffettNathanson...

I cut the cable more than a decade ago, and haven't missed it.
I used to love paytv especially because their are some good movies.
If people like Netflix they do but I am not a huge fan particularly of iPhones or smart screens.
I like Mtv, cartoon network and the movie channels and sometimes you can watch some good old shows.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried Hulu, it doesn’t work for local programming unless you have a repetitious ISP (same all the time). I have no cable or fiber available out here in the boonies and use 5G network and thats never the same ISP.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We had satellite TV when we moved in as our internet connection was slow at best and very unreliable. We switched to starlink last year for internet which allowed us to start actually using the smart features on our TV. Last winter, we dropped the satellite TV and went to strictly streaming services most of everything we watch now is on prime or disney+. We had Netflix before when we lived in the city but dropped it when we moved out here due to the poor internet service.

What I miss now is the pvr feature of satellite TV for one simple reason. I've been a longtime Nascar fan. Up in Canada, all our Nascar races are aired through TSN (the sports network) which is now only available by paying $24.99 per month for the TSN streaming service which sucks and is confusing enough to find the race when it's playing live. I still haven't figured out how to go back and replay old races. So basically, I either catch the race live on Sunday or miss it completely now. I'm tempted to just cancel TSN as I couldn't care less about golf football or hockey and that's about 95% of their programming.

Reactions: Doc

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
K. I still hate the tsn streaming app but found where they list the previous week's Nascar for viewing. That being said, all the planets and stars have to align correctly for the stupid app to actually load and play it. It took 3 tries to get it to load.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
K. I still hate the tsn streaming app but found where they list the previous week's Nascar for viewing. That being said, all the planets and stars have to align correctly for the stupid app to actually load and play it. It took 3 tries to get it to load.
For them to charge 24 a month for such poor service, plus they have a fix on where they are the only option for you folks up north. Ridiculous.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I got off cable TV a few years ago because it was a waste of money. Internet TV did to cable what the VCR did to the drive in movie theater. I now get any channel or movie I want anytime I want it for free.

Reactions: Doc