• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Boeing calls off manned space launch moments before liftoff

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boeing, which can't seem to keep doors on its aircraft lately, has been forced to call off their first manned foray into outer space.
The fully manned capsule was on the launch pad, the countdown had begun, and then shortly before scheduled lift off, it was all called off due by NASA and safety personnel. There is no formally stated reason, according to NBC News, as to why the launch was cancelled.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Elon Musk's space venture may be only(?) currently authorized organization to make these launches?

FULL STORY at JUST THE NEWS:

NASA and Boeing forced to call off spacecraft launch with just minutes to go in the countdown

If this mission was successful, NASA would have been able to authorize Boeing to take routine trips to the orbiting outpost.

Boeing was forced to call off its first crewed launch with NASA of the company’s Starliner spacecraft on Saturday.
The spacecraft was supposed to launch from Florida at 12:25 p.m. ET, making it the vehicle’s first crewed test flight.
However, the launch was stopped with less than minutes to go in the countdown, according to NBC News. . . .

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boeing, which can't seem to keep doors on its aircraft lately, has been forced to call off their first manned foray into outer space.
The fully manned capsule was on the launch pad, the countdown had begun, and then shortly before scheduled lift off, it was all called off due by NASA and safety personnel. There is no formally stated reason, according to NBC News, as to why the launch was cancelled.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Elon Musk's space venture may be only(?) currently authorized organization to make these launches?

FULL STORY at JUST THE NEWS:

NASA and Boeing forced to call off spacecraft launch with just minutes to go in the countdown

If this mission was successful, NASA would have been able to authorize Boeing to take routine trips to the orbiting outpost.

Boeing was forced to call off its first crewed launch with NASA of the company’s Starliner spacecraft on Saturday.
The spacecraft was supposed to launch from Florida at 12:25 p.m. ET, making it the vehicle’s first crewed test flight.
However, the launch was stopped with less than minutes to go in the countdown, according to NBC News. . . .
I think this is the 2nd time it was aborted the first was a valve malfunction if i remember correctly.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

"Liftoff!": After A Series Of Delays, Crewed Boeing Starliner Finally Launches, Inbound To ISS​

The Boeing CST-100 Starliner finally lifted off from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida and is en route to the International Space Station.

VIDEO

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't understand the Boeing "thing". Millions and millions and millions of flight time with such small about of failures. How many airframes built, flew, and retired?
Yes, a failure is tragic, but most failures are pilot error. Pilots hate to admit it, but most are pilot error. That human. Humans err.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't understand the Boeing "thing". Millions and millions and millions of flight time with such small about of failures. How many airframes built, flew, and retired?
Yes, a failure is tragic, but most failures are pilot error. Pilots hate to admit it, but most are pilot error. That human. Humans err.
I think it is political.

Boeing embraced DEI and their hiring practices apparently now reflect that. Some people, perhaps many, suggest that the company should high the best people, not ration off some quota system that disadvantages some qualified applicants in favor of meeting their diversity quota.

In addition to that are the various whistleblowers, who have been singing about other issues, beyond anything DEI

Kevlar

The last thing I would want to do is go into space in something they built when they have a hard enough time keeping the doors on a regular airplane 😂

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Boeing has been building aircraft since 1916.
They also built the first stage of the Saturn V space ship, amongst many other NASA and military space platforms, satellites, and devices.
One failure and they are not to be trusted?
Seems the latest platform performed quite well.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well this is NOT going well for Boeing.

Apparently the thrusters have failed.

The ship cannot dock with the International Space Station.

Currently Starliner does not have permission to enter the so-called 'keep out sphere' around the space station while flight controllers continue to evaluate the troublesome manuevering thrusters. They will however close in by another 60 meters or so, under manual control, to a distance of about 200 meters.

According to Bloomberg, Boeing and NASA are trying to determine why the Starliner's thrusters failed on approach to docking at the ISS. This is delayed docking.

The Starliner craft and its crew of two astronauts are holding a position about 200 meters (656 feet) away from the station, according to a live webcast of the mission. Docking was initially targeted for 12:15 p.m. New York time. A second docking opportunity opens at 1:33 p.m. in New York. Four thrusters failed in flight, but mission controllers were able to bring two back online after troubleshooting. The thrusters are used to help maneuver Starliner through space. -BBG

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And now another problem. Helium leaking.

Boeing Starliner spacecraft experiencing helium leaks ahead of docking at space station

'Spacecraft remains stable,' NASA says ahead of Thursday docking at International Space Station

Pilar AriasJune 6, 2024 7:03am EDT

Boeing's Starliner spacecraft, currently in its first crewed test to the International Space Station, is experiencing helium leaks ahead of docking Thursday afternoon.
A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket with Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner spacecraftaboard launched from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida on Wednesday at 10:52 a.m., with NASA astronauts Suni Williams, 58, and Barry "Butch" Wilmore, 61, on board.
"Teams have identified three helium leaks on the spacecraft," NASA's Johnson Space Center tweeted just over 12 hours after liftoff. "One of these was previously discussed before flight along with a management plan. The other two are new since the spacecraft arrived on orbit. Two of the affected helium valves have been closed and the spacecraft remains stable."
Despite the leaks, Starliner "remains on track for a docking at 12:15 pm ET" Thursday, the X account for the ISS stated. NASA and Boeing teams "will meet to review data prior to rendezvous and docking operations on the orbital outpost." . . .