• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Belly pans...or not

BoyToys

As I dive a bit deeper into what a 'stock' unmolested Imp should look like while I plan out restoration efforts, I came to realize that mine does not have any belly pan(s) underneath from the transmission all the way back to the differential. There appear to be mounting holes in the undercarriage for what I assume used to be there. Comments?? Seems the only reason for removing the pans would be for weight savings, but if aluminum they couldn't have weighed much. I would think a person would want belly pans to help float in the really deep powder.
Comments anyone???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Given that I used to drive through fields, over river banks, through brush, etc, to me a belly pan makes a lot of sense. I'm in favor of them.

FWIW, as sort of a disclaimer, on a SnowTrac (the model I owned) the drive mechanism is all in the front, the majority of the bottom of the vehicle is actually plywood (I epoxy coated my plywood).​

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a lazy pocrap most days. I used magnets and paper to make a template.

an imp with out the covers on drags pretty good in the snow. I also found that packing snow up around the ebrake made mike carry a propane torch ( that never liked to ignite in the temperatures that froze the brake on)

BoyToys

I am a lazy pocrap most days. I used magnets and paper to make a template.

an imp with out the covers on drags pretty good in the snow. I also found that packing snow up around the ebrake made mike carry a propane torch ( that never liked to ignite in the temperatures that froze the brake on)
Heck of an idea while lying flat on your back to make a template. Lucky (or unlucky) for me, I don't have an embrake to worry about.
It's still beyond me why someone would remove the belly pans. Just added to my to-do list which keeps growing.

BoyToys

Snagged some free galvanized sheet metal the other day, now to get enthused about fabricating some pans. Since I've never been around a proper non-molested Imp for comparison, do these just mount to the frame and bridge the gap along and under the driveline? Probably up front as well...a 'bull nose" if you will, but not for me since I have a snow blade mount and hydraulic lines up there.

Idaho IMP

The lower 1 by angle at the well should have weld nuts on the top side for 1/4-20 bolts. Mine has 3 panels that go from front to back, and the rearmost ends at the crossmember that supports the front of transaxle. My panels are probably 12 gauge aluminum. thats gonna be challenging to measure and drill them. Maybe measure and drill for one in each corner, then mark the remainder from above, or use a self-centering VIX bit to drill the centers at a smaller diameter. A self centering bit can be had at Hobo freight or any decent woodworking shop or lumberyard. Let us know how it goes!

BoyToys

Thanks man. I'll need to jack her up and crawl around to check it out...fun fun either way you look at it. I've got what measures out to about 15 or 16 gauge galvanized steel. Aluminum would be preferred and probably lighter weight but a person can't complain about free material. I may go the route proposed by Redsqwrl and create a template out of light cardboard held in place by strong magnets and transfer to the sheet metal for cutting and drilling. The hard part will be holding it up in place. Not a whole lot of elbow room underneath these things.
One of many things on my list before things get white once again.