• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Appetite for Destruction

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last month I posted a thread asking for opinions on what would be best for clearing side hills of small trees and brush.
Link to the original thread: https://www.forumsforums.com/thread...hog-on-an-excavator-or-on-a-skid-steer.98089/

I had the rented John Deere 35G excavator delivered on Thursday. And I have to admit. I'm in love. This thing is so awesome. Super duper awesome.
It was able to clear the area in question in record time I had it reserved for a week but finished up my planned work in 2 days. I am in awe of this machine set up. If I hit the lottery it would be in my list of top 5 things to buy. :D

Before pics.

b4-excavator1.jpegb4-excavator2.jpegb4-excavator3.jpeg

After pics of same area.

after_excavator1.jpegafter_excavator2.jpegafter_excavator3.jpeg

after_excavator4.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And a few more pics of the destruction I was able to accomplish with this machine.

excavator_destruction1.jpegexcavator_destruction2.jpegexcavator_destruction3.jpeg

Kevlar

It’s too bad those little machines are so expensive. I rented a Kubota a few years ago and when I was done I asked how much they cost out of curiosity, I think at that time it was 60 grand 😳 so no doubt even more now. It’s one of those things you would use a lot of you had it. Bought a loader a couple years ago that has quick attach forks, we use it every few days.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some pucker factor for sure but so much fun. I could not help but price them.
66k new.
49k for one with 400 hours. 46k for one with 500 hours. Rentals from the same place I rented from.
no clue how much the cutter would cost but I'm sure that's expensive also.
But what a set up. SWEET.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - Our town's road dept has one of those machine attachments that runs off the back of a regular AG tractor. It might be a cheaper option to strap something to your tractor as opposed to a whole new machine. Also to note, they have a counterweight on the opposite side to avoid tipping/pucker when you reach the arm out far to the side.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is similar to what our town uses. Probably too big.
iu

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks BC.
Actually those are what I tried to rent as I see them being used by our highway dept clearing the sides of roads.
Rental place did not have any of those for rent.
Will have to check out prices on those. Good idea. Thanks.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the web site for the last one pictured.

Can't see their price on their web site.

Here's a used one kind of near you for $5500

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried to add top and tilt on my tractor a few years ago and they said it was no longer available for my tractor. So I have no extra rear hydraulics. Guessing there is a way to add that but not positive.

And, a big part of the reason for an excavator is the bucket. This add on would not accomplish that part. Gives me plenty to think about but ...... realistically, I will rent occasionally and keep my mulla invested for now. .