• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1956 222 Kitten Restoration

Dacx

GOLD Site Supporter
So I am a little behind the eight ball. I should have started to posting from the beginning, but to give you a little back story here it is.

The kitten we are working on is 1956 Model 222, manufactured in 1955, SN: 155405, originally sold to the Dept. of Agriculture, Boise Idaho. This is kind of family affair, so my father (Dan) and my son Boone are huge part of this, in fact my Dad is kind of kicking my ass as far as progress goes as he was in charge of the engine overall and it is ready to go.

When i was about 15 years old, (22 Years ago! ha) I tired to purchase this cat from the second owner who bought it from the forest service. Unfortunately, he did not want to part with it at that time. Fast forward a few years he sold it a man, who again sold it couple years later. We finally got it bought earlier this year. We are the forth owner. Thankfully it was it in running condition, very little rust and rollers are in great shape.

Like i said we have already overhauled the engine, stripped the paint. I am now starting on the body work. I still need to recondition the clutches/Brakes inside the pontoons. I plan to remove the pontoons tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9090.jpg
    IMG_9090.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9091.jpg
    IMG_9091.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9093.jpg
    IMG_9093.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9294.jpg
    IMG_9294.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 37

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
PLATINUM Site Supporter
I recently did a 55-56 it was sold new to army corp (chicago)

I have lots of notes from cooling to coils.

Our external water pump 10hp anglias are unique.

Dacx

GOLD Site Supporter
We successfully got the pontoons off today, I’m glad we did because they need a little love! Not a lot but just a little.

here was the order (maybe not exactly but pretty close)

Remove brake handles
1- removed the top covers, add lots of pb blaster and wait 24 hrs ha
2 jacked up pontoons and removed suspension springs
3 pulled of the outer bearings (4 bolts) and large axle nut
4- tapped the pontoons lightly from center of cat to get about 2” clearance inside
5- removed rachet and clutch parts
6- carefully tapped drum off the axle shaft
7 - slide off pontoon

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2510.jpeg
    IMG_2510.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2511.mov
    509 KB
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2543.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great to see some projects coming alive!

Boone must be on a heavy dose of Orange Kool Aide since SV getting bigger!

The kitten is the best worst ride in the Tucker line up and a must the collection. Figure out what those springs are out of for the suspension.

Some have swapped those for wood dowel or my go to of UHMW rod.

As for your Omaha Orange check this out for the Tucker like paint. Prob more gloss than OE but experts believe the color varied over the years by the same name. Possibly mostly maybe accurate. Have Boone fact check TikTok

Acrylic or Urethane options. Look at the Restoration Shop line for Tucker Tolerance:https://tcpglobal.com/

Last edited:

Dacx

GOLD Site Supporter
So today we did a little body work! Pounding out dents, a little body filler (sharkbite). And we starting drawing out new panels, such as the engine side panels! I’m trying to teach Boone how to use AutoCAD, he’s getting there. Come Monday we will cut them out on the laser.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2553.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 38

Bennyboy1337

Man Dacx, I haven't checked the forums in a couple of months and I come back to find out you've acquired a kitten. If my math is right then I think this means you're averaging 1 steel tucker refurb a year, this has to be some sort of new record if you keep it up! :ROFLMAO:

Bennyboy1337

Also would just like to say I really love that this kitten has heritage locally here in Boise with the USFS. It looks like they painted it FS Green with white pontoons to match the green/white scheme of the power wagons that were pretty common in the 60s/70s.

For what it's worth, I think it would be amazing if you could keep this paint scheme and maybe throw a USFS decal or two on it. Someone has a an old FS tucker in Oregon with the original FS green (nicknamed "Gobbler") and I just think it's the coolest looking tucker ever! Picture I think is from Alpine Jamboree a three years back, looks like Gmoose in the shot :LOL:

1968-Dodge-Passenger-Front-630x390.jpg
1727972618589.png

Dacx

GOLD Site Supporter
Man Dacx, I haven't checked the forums in a couple of months and I come back to find out you've acquired a kitten. If my math is right then I think this means you're averaging 1 steel tucker refurb a year, this has to be some sort of new record if you keep it up! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Ben! We’re excited to get after it!

Dacx

GOLD Site Supporter
So, I've been lacking a little ambition......
But i know i have to keep after it! Every weekday my son calls me after school and asks if we are going to work on the kitten! Today I decided I need to work on getting the rest of the aluminum sheet metal pieces drawn up so we can get them cut out. I was gettomg extremely frustrated while to trying to measure them..... Nothing is square, dimensions vary as much as 3/4" from one side to the other. I've decided i will just recreate them as they were.

While trying to measure everything, I realized I have no proper way to measure the radius's.... such as in the widows, fuel ports, doors etc. This might be a little overkill, but today I decided I would make a make a set of large radius gauges. So that's what I did!

Hopefully tomorrow we can actually draw and cut out some tucker parts!

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2684 (1).MOV
    10.8 MB
  • IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16

Dacx

GOLD Site Supporter
Well at first we we were just going to replace the back panel but after, But as easy as it was to get them off, we’ve decided we do all the sheet metal except the roof and and the sheet metal just behind the firewall.

Today we got both side pieces pulled off. We had some screws that were tough and we ended up having to grind them off. The next few days we will be spending time measuring and drafting the sides, doors etc.

Boone is 12. And I’m really trying to get him proficient in reading a tape measure, use a micrometer, angle finer decimals, fractions, calculating radius is and most of all, how to use AutoCAD

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 19

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Love the shop!

When I was his age if I recall correctly, my education involved lots of time preparing for a US conversion to metric that never happened.

Then we got these Texas Instrument graphing calculators that we just made spell hello or inappropriate organs.

Still cockeyed today which is why I love the Tucker tolerance . I can read a mic but struggle with a tape. Looks like he’s got the proper instructor to succeed!

Keep it coming.