• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you drinking tonight?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Napoleon Brandy.
Several years ago, I had renters in my dad's house after he died. They failed to pay the rent.
So I kicked them out.
They left a mess.
Seems they had once owned a bar which had failed.

However, they also left a truckload of booze in unopened bottles. This was one of them.

"SQUOAL!"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One cocktail, about 6pm. I was asleep before 10pm.

A Boulevardier.
1.5z Round Barn Bourbon​
.75z Sweet Vermouth​
.75z Campari​
Candied Orange Peel garnish​
My kid's buddy is the head distiller there. I'll tell him he needs to work on the bourbon.
It makes a nice mixed drink. I actually took a sip of it before adding the mixers. Still the same. Very mild flavor in the mouth. Nothing that a newbie would fine objectionable, but nothing that would entice a serious whiskey drinker to come back for more. Mixed in a Boulevardier, which has very strongly flavored Campari, the bitter herbal liquor overpowers the whiskey, and is balanced with the Sweet Vermouth. The only task of the Round Barn Bourbon is to provide a solid base for the other two, a stronger flavored whiskey or a spicy rye add another dimension, but a simple mild bourbon like the Round Barn is sufficient enough for cocktail.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm drawing a line in the sand.

I'm not crossing it for this one.

420975958_10223971631373767_7909700271021185017_n.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I feel your pain. In this cold, quite literally.
I am out of Scotch, and too lazy to go out in this cold for it. My son had put several bottles of vodka aside in my garage. For medicinal purposes of course.
So,,
I'm working on the Smirnoff now.
Grey goose is next.

Despite the lake of warmth and taste, it seems to help.

And after enough, ith dun't dreally madder

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hot tea here.
I've recently started drinking green tea, after trying it and liking it.
I drink both Green and Black teas. Hot. Never iced. With lemon and honey. Never milk. Never herbal or flavored teas either.

Black (Russian) tea is way too strong to drink with the lemon & honey. I am reasonably happy drinking Green tea all by itself, but prefer a bit of honey and lemon added.

No Earl Grey or other English style teas for me. Too much like dirt and sadness in the cup.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Plain Ole Lipton seems to work for me. Plain or with a small amount of some sweetener.

That said I do have a liking for green teas. But again, plain with honey or white sugar

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Johnie Walker
"A Song Of Ice"
Blended Scotch Whisky.

Never had it before. ran across it when rummaging thru the liquor my son had bought in preparation for the coming disasters.
Light and a bit sweet. But, definitely a smooth scotch with some breeding. Kinda green and "grassy" with undertones of vanilla and fruit. Not a warm sipping whisky. Best served cold over ice.

The label included a "Game of Thrones" Special Addition so, I doubt it is a regular product. Certainly not aimed at the educated and time worn Scotch drinker.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OLD GRAND FASHIONED

Never heard of this twist on the Old Fashioned. But a bottle of Grand Mariner was sitting on the table, I think the lovely Mrs_Bob used a shot in a dinner recipe this past week? In any case, the bottle inspired me to look for a whiskey & Grand Mariner recipe.

I tend to like BITTER drinks. I also like CITRUS drinks. The classic BOULEVARDIER, which is a bitter sweet cocktail that pre-dates Prohibition days is one of my favorite 'go to' cocktails.

This variant, of an OLD FASHIONED, could actually displace the BOULEVARDIER, at least some days, as a possible go to. Its good. Not bitter. But the citrus comes through to replace the bitter. There is no need for a balancing Sweet Vermouth because the citrus of the Grand Marnier seems to fill all voids.

Cocktail Grand Old Fashioned​

Marie-Noël Ouimet12 December 2022​
The Old Fashioned is one of those timeless cocktails that appears on almost every restaurant and bar menu.​
Requiring few ingredients and simple to make, it is also very easy to prepare excellent ones at home.​
Old Fashioned Cocktail with Grand Marnier
You can choose a classic recipe or have fun with flavors and spirits.​
Thus, there are old fashioned recipes with a touch of maple and others with amaretto.​
Now, let’s try with Grand Marnier.​
1 part​
Grand Marnier® Cordon Rouge​
1 part​
Russell’s Reserve Bourbon​
3 dashes​
aromatic bitters​
Large ice cube​
Orange twist garnish​
Grand Old Fashioned
Photo: Campari Group​
With its touch of exotic bitter oranges, this cognac and orange liqueur brings a nice complexity to the cocktail.​

Yield: 1 glass​

Temps de préparation: 5 minutes​

The Grand Marnier, with its exotic bitter orange flavors, brings a warm and original touch to the classic Old Fashioned cocktail​

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Coffee and hot cocoa tonite. Crumpy is working late at GM, so when she gets home, I need to be sober and ready to treat her with whirlpool and a good massage.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While I am currently enjoying the Grand Old Fashioned, on my new list of things to try:

The Esquire Cocktail

September 14, 2018 By Steven 1 Comment
In the summer of 2007, Esquire Magazine held a competition for its readers to create a cocktail worthy of the name ‘Esquire’ and the winner, I have to say is a pretty damn good drink. Created by a fella named Phil Broadhead of Jackson, Mississippi, the judges in the competition described it as ‘elegant yet broad shouldered’. The Esquire is loosely based on the 1800’s cocktail named ‘Ward Eight’, and this bourbon cocktail is one of my new favorites.
Esquire Cocktail
The ‘Ward Eight’ (for a little history) was concocted to help celebrate the political victory of Martin Lomasney to the Massachusetts State Legislature in 1896. Lomasney was a powerful political figure in Boston’s West End for over 40 years, so having a great cocktail named to celebrate your victory is well earned.
Esquire Cocktail
Ironically, the ‘Ward Eight’ cocktail name was trademarked back in 1912 by the Santa Clara Company. I guess this explains why I’ve never seen the ‘Ward Eight’ on any cocktail menus, which is sad I must say because it’s an awesome drink. Well, maybe not as good a drink as ‘The Esquire’, but still pretty good. To me, the addition of grenadine to the ‘Ward Eight’ makes it a little too sweet for my tastes, but I will put both recipes up for you to try.
Here are the recipes for Ward Eight and The Esquire, please try them both and let me know what you think…
Ward Eight
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Ounce Rye Whiskey
  • ½ Ounce Lemon Juice
  • ½ Ounce Orange Juice
  • 1 Teaspoon Grenadine
  • 1 Maraschino Cherry as a garnish
PROCESS:
-Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass
-Garnish with a maraschino cherry or a little paper flag of the State of Massachusetts
The Esquire
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 ¼ Ounces Bourbon Whiskey
  • ¾ Ounce Grand Marnier
  • 1 ½ Teaspoon Orange Juice
  • 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
  • 1-2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
PROCESS:
-Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, then strain into a chilled Martini glass
-Garnish with a curl of lemon rind
Esquire Cocktail

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Came across a bottle of " Redbreast" single pot still Irish whiskey.
Aged 12 years.
Really good stuff.

Just in time for St patty's day. Unlikely the bottle will last that long.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Gave up alcohol for the Lenten season. So nothing.
I was going to as well.
I don't drink a lot of alcohol anything, so I'm drinking Stella Artois because it's Saturday.
Weekend drank is the only time I do it , when I do it.
I know people who drink every single night.
By the way, my friend Amber refers to Stella as "wife beater".. maybe because if you have too much.
Which I certainly will not Lol

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I gave up most of alcohol because of meds. I used to have a good night at Gillies with Lone Star Beer and chase it with Jack Daniels. Stayed in shape by participating in parking lot fisticuffs. Sure was fun but the mornings dont hurt as much any more.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Four Roses small batch Bourbon.

Having gotten myself very sick and drunk once on bourbon back when i was just 21, , I literally could not enjoy it. I haven't had a bourbon since 1967. Ihe very smell of it made me sick. When people brought me gifts of the stuff, I would smile and put it on the bar. Usually, I gave it away.
But I am currently out of everyday Scotch and a bottle of this Four Roses is on the shelf. So, I tried it.

Not bad. A little sweet but very smooth. Quite palatable. And apparently, my aversion to Bourbon is gone.

There are a lot of bourbons available. So Yippie!

There is a bottle of Jack Daniels next to this Four Roses. Hmmm.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I gave up all drinking for Lent.

But I'm a believer that Bourbon is better than Scotch, at least to my palate. I prefer the sweetness.

Jack Daniels, by definition is 'bourbon' but by Tennessee law is "Tennessee Whiskey" because it is distilled in Tennessee AND it goes through 1 additional filtration process. Bourbon can be distilled in any state, or any nation, but if it meets the rules of 'bourbon' (51% corn, aged min 2 years in NEW charred white oak, no additional additives, no additional flavors, etc) then it is bourbon. Jack Daniels meets all that criteria.

Tennessee legislature created, along with the Tennessee distillers, a new "style" of alcohol for marketing purposes, called it Tennessee Whiskey. To meet that criteria is must be additionally filtered through a hardwood charcoal, which I believe may be maple? I used to know, but forgot. I think it is maple charcoal? And of course the clause about being made inside the borders of the state. So Jack Daniels, as well as George Dickel and a couple others, make TENNESSEE WHISKEY. Claim it is more exclusive more special. It is, in fact, Bourbon. But bourbon is not necessarily Tennessee Whiskey.

Smilingreen

A couple of bottles of Yuengling tonight. I don't drink much, but when I decide I want something other than beer, my standard is Gentleman Jack.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Chicken Cock "double Oaked" bourbon.

This is a limited edition bottle, signed by the distiller. I got the bottle a year, maybe 2 ago. Not sure the double Oaked is still available. But damn it is good stuff. Very. Opened the seal tonight for the first time, now regretting I did not buy 2 bottles.