• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Me and my still sore, so apparently it is broken, nose are driving down to Indiana University in Bloomington, IN for a fencing tournament. I have a half dozen of the Purdue University fencers competing, plus one of my local club fencers. The event is not on the official collegiate competition schedule, it is technically an 'open' event but being held during the collegiate season so most of the fencers are collegiate fencers.

Yesterday after picking Kobe up from pre-school I took him to Friday T-Ball practice at the YMCA. After practice he went into the "fun zone" room, which is kids only. So I sat in the coffee shop at the Y, which has nice comfy chairs. Unfortunately the only open chairs were under HVAC vents so I had a cool breeze blowing down on me and the constant cool air seemed to trigger my arthritis symptoms so by the time I left the YMCA I was actually very sore.

Overall my arthritis is better than it was, I'm taking a lot fewer pain meds. Late afternoons into the evenings are the worst. Seems like I take a few advil mid-afternoon and that helps, sometimes eliminating the need for anything stronger. I'd say I'm down to 1 mild opioid for pain every-other-day right now . . . which is a big improvement over 2, and occasionally 3, per day plus up to a dozen ibuprofen.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I’m having a quiet evening at home with and partaking in a few shots of whiskey. Been a while.

Cheers!
17112350677896618663489693487779.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fencing yesterday.

One of my FORMER club kids (started at age 10) fenced at my club through high school, went on to fence at I.U. and then quit while in law school. He is back to fencing and showed up at an open tournament yesterday at I.U.

I was at I.U. with some of the Purdue University fencers.

The final bout of the day was my former club fencer facing off against one of my Purdue fencers. Figured whoever won, it was a good day. The former club fencer beat he Purdue fencer 15-11 in an amazing final bout to decide the Gold vs Silver medal orders. The bout prior to that was my even better, it was 15-14 . . . my same Purdue fencer prevailed over a Jordanian National Team member in a come from behind win.

We had some other excitement as one of my fencers got really sick. Ended laying down in the locker room with an athletic trainer called in. Then paramedics were called who showed up with an ambulance. Of course it was a female so I was OUTSIDE the locker room getting TEXT updates from another female fencer who was trying to keep me updated. I was simultaneous on the phone with parents giving them updates.

An hour later it was apparently determined to NOT be G.I. issues, which the girl is known to have. Turned out to be menstrual cramps, which was a relief because I didn't want to (but I would have) taken her to the Urgent Care. Coordinated new car pools since we all car-pooled to the fencing event. I drove sick girl home, she took 2 advil and felt better an hour late. By the time I stopped for gas for the truck she was hungry. She ordered 4 White Castles, 1 small fry, 1 order of mozzeralla sticks, and a Sprite. This girl is 5'8" and barely weighs a 110#. She ate all that AFTER she had already pounded down a ziplock bag full of trail mix.

IMG_1217.jpeg
IMG_1219.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I put a third and hopefully final coat of mud on the bedroom I'm building downstairs then headed to the garage to change the oil and clean the filters on the plow pump on my plow truck. (Due to no snow this winter, it's been sitting. I tried it yesterday and the plow wouldn't lift.) It's fine now. Just a bit of dirt in the oil.

Go figure. No snow all winter and we're in a storm warning from now until Wednesday forecast to drop about 2 ft of snow.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
re-arranged the garage/workshop

... moved motorcycles from door 5 to door 2, which required moving Bobcat tractor from door 2 to door 4, which required moving a bunch of cabinets onto a car lift that is in door 5, which required getting the Ventrac riding mower off the car lift and repositioned under it ... there was a bunch of other crap moved around in the process, but those are the big things. Dasha had a lot of college stuff stored out there in bay 4, and we had some stuff to donate to the church garage sale in bay 4, that stuff is divided up, moved into boxes and stacked in bays 2 and 5.

Also built 2 simple shelves for the fencing club. One about 12" by 16" to hold a small computer, a wifi router and associated electronics. Another about 6" by 6" to hold an Elgato Stream Deck 6 button controller. These are just quick and dirty little shelves, sprayed them with white primer and they left them outside to dry.

Plan to leave the house about 4pm to go to the fencing club to install the shelves and then install the computer equipment for the new video system. Another member is going to get there early to help set up the software for the video system so I want the shelves up and at least some of the hardware in place before he gets there.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Cold and wet today so I'll stay off the roof.
A trip to Lowes for some leveling gravel. Finishing the small retaining wall at the back of our gardens.
Moving the lumber stored there over winter.

I might take a sledge to the patio decking at the back of the garage. New composite decking will replace it and match the big deck already in place. Once that is accomplished, we can remove the backwall siding and install a new double backdoor. Plans are to reframe the wall with a full 2X10 doubleheader so we can add a balcony off the second story.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Painted the room I've been working on. Then plowed snow. We're day 1 into a forecast 3 day winter storm. So far we got 8 inches of snow since last night. The plow truck performed flawlessly.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ventrac lawn tractor is alive!!!

Front mower deck belt is back on and working. For now. It is a bit chewed up after a mishap, but it's back on (all) the pulleys and working properly. A bit slow to start, keeping it on a trickle charger for now, but it is running fine once it starts up. Yesterday I got the engine running again, took some fiddling but that is going. This morning was the deck belting and that was pretty frustrating as the mower was sitting idle all last 2 YEARS because the lovely Mrs_Bob hired a guy to do most of the mowing. It was convenient to have someone mow, but seemed like a waste and honestly I like seat time. So the small equipment is now up and running for this season.

I'll get the big finish mower installed on the Bobcat tractor in the next week. Preferably on a day when it is not raining.

Reactions: Doc

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Day 2 of the blizzard of 24. Hwys are either crap or closed within 8 hrs of here. I worked on the bedroom until I ran out of materials and not driving to the city during a blizzard for a few electrical boxes that can wait until I go tomorrow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Let's put it this way. Yesterday wasn't a good day. First, I went out to plow and found that the fuel filter was clogged on the truck causing it to die. So I headed out with my f150 to the local shop to see if they could get it in. Didn't make it out of the driveway before the 4x4 kicked out on the truck causing the back end to slip on ice at the end of the drive by the road stopping 6" from a tree. So I hooked up a tow rope to my wife's expedition. The back end came over but the front slid down into the trees. Ripped the mirror off. Dented the fender and door. Called insurance to set up a rental. Picked it up this morning only to discover the washer fluid doesn't work. Waiting for a replacement now.
20240326_160554.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yikes, your yesterday sucked!

Yesterday afternoon after I fixed the lawn tractor I had a special fencing session with my Purdue fencers coming up to my local club, which saved me from having to drive 80+ miles each way to get to Purdue. Was a great session, really helpful for the kids.

Today I took out hedge trimmers and headed down the hill to the old garden shed. Temp was 29(F) and it's very windy out there. We had some rain, but it was stopped when I went outside. Wind has been beating against it and the door was banging, it has been driving me crazy for days. The hedge trimmers were needed because of the wild rose bushes that have been encroaching on the stone path were becoming a serious hazard. So I "trimmed" my way down the path, taking the thorny weeds down to ground level on both sides of the pathway. Then cleared the area leading into the old shed. It is pretty tattered, probably closing in on 20 years old, but still standing! The door don't align anymore so I tied them together with wire to keep them from pounding in the wind.

Too cold and nasty to take the Buhler Farm King snow blower off the tractor and switch it to the LandPride finish mower today so I'll probably push than task off to next week???

Maybe going to fencing tonight? I treat Wednesday as an "optional" day for fencing. But as the lovely Mrs_Bob will be driving to the airport to pick up her sister, it is likely I'll probably head to the fencing club.

Tomorrow I'll be leaving mid-morning to drive to Notre Dame to pick up Dasha to bring her home for a long Easter holiday weekend. Classes at N.D. resume on Tuesday. She will divide her time between our house and Melen's condo in Chicago. We will all celebrate with a holiday dinner at Melen's on Sunday.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting over yesterday.
For no reason I can fathom, everything hurt. It was like blood poisoning or a one day case of COVID-19.

Today, I am completely over it with vigor, breathing fine and in bright mind. Well, maybe just relatively bright. :confused::rolleyes:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got a rental f150. Truck is going to the body shop next week. The door and fender may actually be salvageable if they can pop the dents out the a repaint, new mirror. Could have been worse I guess. I could have been driving across that bridge that collapsed. In the grand scheme of things, chalk it up to $h-t happens.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got a rental f150. Truck is going to the body shop next week. The door and fender may actually be salvageable if they can pop the dents out the a repaint, new mirror. Could have been worse I guess. I could have been driving across that bridge that collapsed. In the grand scheme of things, chalk it up to $h-t happens.
Flux me ....what else today? Our well pump has all but died and is being replaced in the morning. We still have water but a simple test downstairs with a tap on showed it barely able to keep up and very slow to recover. Oh well. It's been getting worse the past few weeks cutting out frequently.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped back therapy and just am doing the aquarobics at the Y came home and felt great, a little tires but no back pain!
hopefully it will stay that way we even had 3 fire calls this afternoon and I still feel great a little tired but no pain!
The morning will be the test my motto through this has been waking up in pain is better than not waking up at all! :D

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Had a wonderful 64th birthday with my son Jeff and Granddaughter Kasey.
She is "home" on break from Penn State.
They took me out for pizza and gifted me with an air fryer. 😊
Ty is in Ripley, New York on a tow run, the wee ones called me to tell me happy Birthday Nana.
Good day! 😊

Crumpy

GOLD Site Supporter
Ty is in Ripley, New York on a tow run, the wee ones called me to tell me happy Birthday Nana.
Good day! 😊
Happy Birthday, PG!!! 🎂

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Good day! 😊
I hope you had a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Happy Happy Birthday PG :dancing:

Today I'm driving out to South Bend to pick up Dasha after her classes at N.D. are completed to bring her home for the long Easter Holiday weekend.