• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Walking 342 miles in Italy. The Way of St Francis. Florence to Assisi to Rome.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob and I walked roughly 600 miles on the Camino de Santiago de Compostella pilgrimage trail, more commonly called The Way of St James, or The Camino, or simply The Way several years ago. We also walked across England, following Hadrian's Wall, starting at the North Sea and finishing at the Irish Sea. We planned a follow up walking trip but life, then Covid, then a foster son and a lot of stuff got in the way.

We are now planning to walk a less popular path called the "Way of St Francis." There are a few variants to the route. Some start in Florence, others start in LaVerna. All pass through Assisi and all end in Rome at the Vatican. The route, starting in Florence, is approximately 342 miles. And there are a lot of hills. Roughly 31 days of walking. Our goal is to go in mid-to-late May and return home by July. At this point we are not sure if we will walk from Florence to Assisi, we may, use the 'walking time' to travel to other parts of Italy, and then travel by train/bus from Florence to Assisi and then walk from Assisi to Rome, which is still a couple hundred miles on foot.

We have invited Melen to join us, it is unlikely she will have the ability to do so for more than a week or two, because of work. We also invited Dasha to join us, she wants to come, and we'd plan the trip to depart shortly after her graduation from Notre Dame. Her plans are to take a bit of time before she starts working so she might actually be able to join us. We shall see.

Very early planning stages. Wish us luck and let's hope this time it all works out.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good Luck, sounds like a hell of an adventure! We have just been cycling round the Italian lakes - sure is a beautiful country.
Thank you. It is one of the nations in Europe where I have spent almost no time and where my wife has never visited. Looking forward to seeing it.

We have been to France a couple times, spent extensive time in Spain, England, Scotland and Wales. I've only been to the Lake Como region of Italy and that was decades ago. The lovely Mrs_Bob wants to get back to France and we debated walking from Southeastern France to Western France, rejoining the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage trail as our ending point. But as we've not yet been to Italy, it seems like the better walk.

Italy has very few group hostels, so accommodations would be small family hotels and B&Bs. Trying to figure out the logistics of the travel. When we walked across England we had every night's accommodations reserved months in advance, largely because they fill up. When we walked across Spain we typically booked our accommodations 24 hours in advance, often deciding when we walking into a town if we wanted to go forward or spend an extra day(s) there depending on our mood and on the cities allure. I think Italy may be a bit less flexible than Spain, but not as rigid as England. Most sources seem to indicate about 48+ hours, and sometimes searching several hotels, to find accommodation. So the research begins.

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, half the fun is in the planning and preparation although I must admit I cheated a bit by getting local Italian bike tour company to plan the route, book the hotels and provide the bikes. The big advantage of that was that they knew all the best routes off the beaten track that you would never really find looking on a map - our first day from Ponte Di Legno to Pisogne was 50 miles of surfaced bike paths through the woods that we pretty much had to ourselves.
20230623_112141.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . I cheated a bit by getting local Italian bike tour company to plan the route, book the hotels and . . .
We used a service in England that planned the route, booked hotels and did a luggage transfer but we did it on our own in Spain when we walked the 600 mile Camino de Santiago. Still way too early to tell what we will do for Italy.

For whatever it is worth, here is a link to my Camino trip https://www.forumsforums.com/thread...e-over-pyrenees-mtns-then-across-spain.71748/

Deadly.Sushi

You walked 600 miles. Six HUNDRED miles. Dude! I dont want to walk ONE mile. How did you sleep!?!? How much did you carry!? This sounds like torture to me. Im 53 with herniated discs. May I ask how old you folks are? Also what about MONEY!? Time off from your jobs. I have soooo many questions. Annnnnd what shoes are you walking in!?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You walked 600 miles. Six HUNDRED miles. Dude! I dont want to walk ONE mile. How did you sleep!?!? How much did you carry!? This sounds like torture to me. Im 53 with herniated discs. May I ask how old you folks are? Also what about MONEY!? Time off from your jobs. I have soooo many questions. Annnnnd what shoes are you walking in!?
57 or 58 when we did that hike. Turning 63 in a few weeks. Retired so no time off from jobs. I used LaSportiva low hiking shoes (look similar to a running shoe, but a bit more sturdy). Carried everything in a 45 Liter backpack, the Lovely Mrs_Bob had a 30 or 35 Liter backpack (she has 3 herniated discs). Heaviest thing I carried was a liter or sometimes 2 liters of water. Only had a few wool shirts, 2 pairs of undershorts, 2 pairs of pants (wore one, carried one), 3 pairs of wool socks. Lightweight rain gear. I think my pack weight was about 20# (9kg)