• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tesla fire

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I witnessed a Tesla fire today. Didn't have the presence of mind to take a video though.
It started out with some smoke and flame, then went batshit crazy. Fire shooting out the sides. Some stuff being thrown forward of the vehicle. It burned for quite some time. Didn't stay too long, maybe 5 minutes and I left. It was still on fire full bore when I left.
This thing had to have ruined the pavement it was on as well. All the response personnel just stood around and watched it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I witnessed a Tesla fire today. Didn't have the presence of mind to take a video though.
It started out with some smoke and flame, then went batshit crazy. Fire shooting out the sides. Some stuff being thrown forward of the vehicle. It burned for quite some time. Didn't stay too long, maybe 5 minutes and I left. It was still on fire full bore when I left.
This thing had to have ruined the pavement it was on as well. All the response personnel just stood around and watched it.
Response teams cannot put water on that Tesla fire.

I'm not sure if standard foam works.

Halon only works in a closed environment.

Not all fire teams are trained, much less equipped, to put out a flaming Tesla.

So the best they can do, after occupant, rescue is to protect surrounding and exposed property.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing that stops them is submerging them totally to cool them there's no extinguishing method for it.
We were told at the fire house to just protect the exposures and let it burn out.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I live in a small town. And even if you take the neighboring 3 towns, we are still small. So our response teams aren't all that well equipped for this kind of thing.
BUT, we have the FIPs in the summer. Fucking Illinois People. Probably 30,000 each weekend. In a town of normally 7,500.
I'm guessing alot of these FIPs from Chicago and suburbs will bring increasing numbers of the electrical cars. So my tax dollars will be buying equipment to put out the electrical fires. That can't save the damn thing, just waste my money on this stupid shit.

Smilingreen

I live in a small town. And even if you take the neighboring 3 towns, we are still small. So our response teams aren't all that well equipped for this kind of thing.
BUT, we have the FIPs in the summer. Fucking Illinois People. Probably 30,000 each weekend. In a town of normally 7,500.
I'm guessing alot of these FIPs from Chicago and suburbs will bring increasing numbers of the electrical cars. So my tax dollars will be buying equipment to put out the electrical fires. That can't save the damn thing, just waste my money on this stupid shit.
Fips....Haven't heard that in many years. I always knew it as FIBs. Fucking Illinois Bastards.......:D

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny thing, I didn't my first 37 years in Chicagoland. And now I call them FIPs. Funny how perspective changes.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny thing, I didn't my first 37 years in Chicagoland. And now I call them FIPs. Funny how perspective changes.
Well being as I live across the border from Illinois (I can see it from my back porch) and am close to your little waterfront hamlet on a fairly regular basis, and I watch the antics and tribulations of the FIPS commuters from chiraq/mordor thru my state to the shoreline communities of SW Michigan, the term FIPS has been a regular part of my vocabulary for several decades.

Smilingreen

Well being as I live across the border from Illinois (I can see it from my back porch) and am close to your little waterfront hamlet on a fairly regular basis, and I watch the antics and tribulations of the FIPS commuters from chiraq/mordor thru my state to the shoreline communities of SW Michigan, the term FIPS has been a regular part of my vocabulary for several decades.
Ah, the FIBs came from the cheese heads...on that side of the lake. I was born a FIP/FIB, but I left there back in 1990 and relocated to redneckland TN, where I was then instantly known as a damn yankee. Now, I am just known as a grumpy old man boomer, who has ruined every Millennials chance of collecting social security and living the good life, because I won't hurry up and die.......:finger1:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
So genuinely curious, was this vehicle involved in an accident? What were the circumstances ? Everything's pretty vague here. More information please

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah, the FIBs came from the cheese heads...on that side of the lake. I was born a FIP/FIB, but I left there back in 1990 and relocated to redneckland TN, where I was then instantly known as a damn yankee. Now, I am just known as a grumpy old man boomer, who has ruined every Millennials chance of collecting social security and living the good life, because I won't hurry up and die.......:finger1:
So genuinely curious, was this vehicle involved in an accident? What were the circumstances ? Everything's pretty vague here. More information please
No. It simply pulled over as smoke came out the windows. Peeps got out, and the thing went nuts. Not much else to report. I started to call it in, but one of the peeps was already on the phone.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure this will be all over the news.
will be interesting to see this dissected, considering 19 Chevy bolt fires caused that massive recall. It's not everyday, they just spontaneously combust.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter

Notable Tesla Car Fire Statistics
As of June 2023, 198 Tesla cars had caught fire.
As of November 2022, there have been 57 Tesla cars have caught fire.
Tesla vehicles have had a fire rate of one for every 175 million miles traveled compared to the U.S. average a vehicle fire for every 19 million miles traveled.
Over the 9 years, an estimated of 143-tesla cars caught fire (Tesla fire incidents that received news coverage).
There have been 7 reported incidents of Teslas catching fire while charging.