• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stranded High Tech Submersible 12,500 ft down in Atlantic

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Last ping from Titanic: Tourist submarine with five aboard including British billionaire was just above wreck when comms suddenly died at 12,500ft down - amid fears it is stuck too deep for manned rescue sub and with air to last until 12pm Thursday​

By ARTHUR PARASHAR and JENNIFER SMITH and SAM GREENHILL

PUBLISHED: 20:36 EDT, 19 June 2023 | UPDATED: 21:39 EDT, 19 June 2023

The missing tourist submersible with five people aboard including British billionaire Hamish Harding is understood to have last 'pinged' while it was directly above it's destination - the Titanic.
The sub, owned and operated by OceanGate Expeditions, was taking a crew of five people - including company CEO Stockton Rush, French explorer PH Nargeolet and Harding - 12,500ft underwater as part of its £195,000-a-head tour of the 1912 shipwreck.
The crew, who launched at around 4am on Sunday but lost communication with the sub's mothership MV Polar Prince an hour and 45 minutes into the two hour descent, has enough oxygen to last underwater until 12pm on Thursday UK time (7am EST).

StrandedHighTechSubmersible1.JPG

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just don't care about things like this. Mega rich people wasting money on stupid things.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They do over emphasize the billionaire part of the story. I could care less about that. But I can imagine the fear of anyone being stuck under 12,000 feet of water in a 22ft tube. And running out of air. Horrible way to go.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the picture, it appears there's a tether cable to the mother ship. Wonder why there's not a cable in that tether to hoist it back to the surface.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I being it is controlled by a signal from the mother ship I also thought it should have a tether cable. But no mention of one in anything I've seen. If they had it they could reel it in like a fish.

chowderman

the weight of 12,000+ ft of steel cable . . . makes it an impractical approach

the other issue is a tether cable getting tangled on a wreck. any number of adventuresome ROVs have encountered that issue . . .

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I thought of the tangle issue. An would have thought they'd use that light super duty cable that is not steel but every bit as strong.

The module does have tanks on the side that can pump out water to make the module rise to the top in case of emergency. They could be floating somewhere in the Atlantic but others speculate it more likely the Ocean Gate Sub imploded and occupants are already dead.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
OceanGate, the company that runs this submersible has a CEO who values diversity over experience. He said he did not want to be like other sub operators who hire ex USN or RN submariners. "A bunch of over 50 white guys." He wanted his team to be younger, inspirational as he puts it. "We want our team to have a variety of different backgrounds." So says Stockton Rush, CEO.

I would say right now there are a lot of 50 year old white guys looking for his sorry ass.

I do have to give him credit. He was willing to go down with his boat for his idiotic ideas. Such a shame he had to take others with him.

chowderman

well, in an enclosed environment, the CO2 must be removed from the air, regardless of how much oxygen is provided/available.
the build up of toxic/fatal CO2 levels has been a known submarine issue from WW1.
not a whole lotta' anything new here that 20 year old forward thinking progressive engineers should have overlooked . . .
of course, as history is no longer important, , , , they may have decide such precautions were totally not necessary.
stupid dork pricks are prone to such approaches....

other reports say the CO2 scrubbing capacity/time was less than the oxygen supply time . . .
meaning: the xx hour oxygen supply is not a viable thing to consider....

but the simple fact that all "communications" / signals / beeps / pings / etc / et al _ceased_ . . . .
indicates a catastrophic failure where there was not time/opportunity to take any action indicating
"Oh sh!t, we're in big trouble here...."

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Even if I were inclined to go down 12,500 feet in that glorified septic tank, seeing that Play Station controller running things would have been an automatic see ya later for me. :oops:

I gotta say the only way this old boy is going to go in a submersible it would have to be on a US Navy nuclear submarine, and my chances of scoring on that are next to zero. :)

Last edited:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the picture, it appears there's a tether cable to the mother ship. Wonder why there's not a cable in that tether to hoist it back to the surface.
no teather cable to surface just think what 13000 ft of wire rope would weigh with out the submersible

1" cable weight perfoot working load in tons

24,050 weight of the cable plus weight of submersible about 72,000lbs so 1" wire rope at 100,000lbs is marginal without any safety factor added in.

• Wow

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not thinking steel cable. I'm thinking of something like Amsteel Rope.
It has a specific gravity of .98 so it's actually lighter than water.
For a rope with over 10,000 pounds of strength, 15,000' of it weighs only 375 pounds.

chowderman

Coast Guard has confirmed a debris field, ~1,600 feet off the bow of Titanic in an area containing no Titanic debris.
piece identified as the front view dome,
another piece identified as rear pressure hull dome.

implosion at some depth -
. . . there are no survivors . . .
/s/Radar

• Sad

MNwr786

Gotta be pretty dumb to confuse the tensile strength of carbon fiber with it's shear strength. It was basically an epoxy tank, no wonder it shattered.

chowderman

the CEO did an interview where he adamantly expressed his views that the recommended standards and design criteria for submersibles were simply excessive - and younger and more progressive engineers could make it work without all those burdensome design requirements.

well, now that's a oops!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty sure this is just a distraction story.

The US NAVY detected the "implosion" of the the vessel shortly after it launched, Biden and the Administration knew about it since Sunday.

Seems fishy to me that the Biden Admin was pushing the "running out of Oxygen" story until AFTER the DOJ 'settled' its charges and got a plea from Hunter Biden. Sort of like they might have wanted to bury the larger story of how Joe was kept out of the whole scam, how the tax issues Hunter faced somehow magically didn't reach into Joe's finances, etc etc etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They is no way honest Joe, etal, would do such a thing. Puking kreeps.
Clearly I am a skeptic and conspiracy theorist on this.

But it seems mighty convenient (arranged) for the White House to push the 'running out of air' narrative in the media when they knew damn well that the sub had imploded AND that the Hunter plea deal (2 tier justice system) was going to hit the news.

Which Roman emperor said "give them bread and circuses" and the rabble won't revolt???

There is no f***ing way anyone is going to convince me that this was not a convenient "circus" story to amuse the rabble (us) and keep the Hunter story out of the headlines.

chowderman

don't forget, it is rafts of totally ignorant "journalists" making things up, filling in blanks, all vying to be the 'first' one . . .

they know sh!t about what they're talking. the official information given to them didn't sound good enough, so they doctored it up to be more clickable.

the underwater sound system is taped 24x7x365.25. when something happens they can go to the tapes and listen to any point in time.
it is exceedingly unlikely anyone military or otherwise "alerted" them the instant the vessel lost contact - which by the way the surface tender did not make known to _anyone_ for hours after losing contact.

they did not "detect" the implosion of the dummy's submersible.
they heard sounds from the general area that sorta-kinsa-likely could be . . .
could also be a Chinese freighter a thousand miles away dropping anchor.

as for the WhiteHousePlant making a deflection . . . it has been 29x300 "journalists" plaguing the Coast Guard to tell them something - known, unknown, true, proven, unproven - the media doesn't care - they'll fill in the blanks to make it get more clicks.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob's speculation sure seems probable to me.

The US Navy detected sounds "consistent with an implosion" shortly after OceanGate's Titan submersible lost contact, a navy official has said.
Five people were aboard the vessel when it went missing during a dive to the Titanic wreck on Sunday.
The loss of the sub was confirmed after a huge search mission.
The official told CBS News their information about the "acoustic anomaly" had been used by the US Coast Guard to narrow the search area.
According to CNN, it was deemed to be "not definitive" and therefore the search and rescue mission continued.