• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sprocket jumping on brake steer snowcats

caldonia

For the past 12 years I have been operating brake steer cats. I learned on a Spryte 1200 that I drove for a few years. I’m now 9 years into driving a Nodwell FN15 Snowpacer. I do understand that snow conditions are by far the most important factor in sprocket jumping. Good cold dry snow is like skiing powder but how do you deal with the heavy, sticky stuff. I need to groom in all conditions so what is the technique to deal with bad snow. As. 30 year ski patrol veteran I learned to ski all conditions. They weren’t the prettiest turns but they worked. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the brake steer conundrum?

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Track tension is your main factor in Sprocket jumping, an old school operator told me he used to adjust tension depending on the snow conditions….depending on your cat, that could be easier said than done…but short fast “stabs” at turning should reduce the number of skips, or go all out with new sprockets!!!

BoyToys

Track tension is your main factor in Sprocket jumping, an old school operator told me he used to adjust tension depending on the snow conditions….depending on your cat, that could be easier said than done…but short fast “stabs” at turning should reduce the number of skips, or go all out with new sprockets!!!
Sure wish Thiokol made the Imps a bit more user friendly when it comes to track tension adjusting. No choice but to uncouple the tracks in order to unbolt/move/reinstall the front idler wheel mounting assembly.