• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SPOT Satellite Vehicle Recovery Service

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never realized it before today, maybe because my SPOT R.A.P. (Roadside Assistance Plan) renewed today, but from what I can see, there is no comparable service available thru Garmin, Somewhere, Zoleo or ACR BivyStick. There is zero indication that this is a remote recovery plan. There is a modest added fee, I believe it is $29 a year for the service. It is different than the remote SOS life saving rescue service, the R.A.P. is basically the auto club. The SOS is a full blown life saving Search & Rescue operation that mobilizes.

SPOT's R.A.P. is basically a clone of the AAA's roadside assistance program. The advantage is it lets me notify them via the SPOT satellite system when outside of cellular coverage. When inside cellular range I can call them on my cellphone for the same assistance.

The SPOT R.A.P. is not assigned to a specific vehicle, but rather to me, so as long as I read off my ID info to them, they will dispatch an appropriate aid to rescue my vehicle, get me gas, unlock my car, etc, etc, etc.

PDF of their offering: https://www.findmespot.com/SPOT/media/Downloads/General/SPOT_SOV_TermsConditions.pdf

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting thing happened over the weekend.

I pulled into 'rest area' along Interstate 69 in Michigan, hit a preset message to let the lovely Mrs_Bob know I was off the roadway for a short delay but was close to my destination. I selected her name to send the message to. My fat fingers apparently also selected the SPOT Roadside Assistance Program too. Realizing my mistake, I hit the "cancel messages", but it was too late.

The SPOT had already communicated with the satellite and I had an incoming call asking what assistance was needed for the vehicle.

I guess the system works faster/better than I anticipated. After a pleasant chat with the RAP representative, I sent a cancellation requisition to negate the prior assistance message. All went quickly and smoothly.