• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seats

rockaukum

I have a 1202 B thiokol with some bucket seats. Big on the bolsters (?) and kinda a pain to get in and out of as well as not very forgiving while driving. I see in some of the cats they have some nice low back seats. I have looked around on the net and find those suckers are very expensive. anyone have ideas on where to get a reasonable priced set? The ones I see are $300 plus each. If Not, I guess I'll live with what I got. If you look closely, you can get an idea of what I currently have.
PXL_20240125_210623677.jpg

Thanks for any assistance,
ra

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
poke around on surpluscenter.com . sometimes they have large equipment seats that might do.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Look at tractor seats for compact utility tractors.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These came from Northern Tool. I have used seats from Four Wheel parts that were CJ-5 low back replacement that work very well. It is important to get the seat angle correct when fabricating the mounts. Re-used high back car seats are cheap and junkie looking to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 32

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
rockaukum,

FWIW, in my opinion, which mirrors DaveNet's, seats are one of those things that if you cheap-out on them - you'll regret it later. That doesn't mean you have to spend close to $4K for a pair of incredibly nice Scheel-Mann seats, but I would take the time to research what will be comfortable for you, and for your passengers. Often there may be a distributor not too far away, and you can sit your own butt in their seats and make your own evaluation. That's crucial!

Several years ago I reading rave reviews on some ProCar brand seats. I was almost (key word) ready to order them, but was headed to SEMA in a few weeks, and thought maybe ProCar would have a display. They did... I sat in them... and I didn't like 'em... at all. As far as I'm concerned, I dodged a several hundred dollar bullet (for once). So other people's opinion's aren't as helpful as one would think.

mtncrawler's advice, "It is important to get the seat angle correct when fabricating the mounts" is absolutely spot on! When I look at the photo of your existing setup, the seat angle is flat. Yes, it looks like you can recline the seat back, but the bottom cushion is a whole lot more comfortable when the front is raised. I would suggest you experiment with what angle is most comfortable; maybe start at an inch, or a little more, and try some different angles. I think you'll be glad you did....

Idaho IMP

I just went through the seat thing on my IMP. I bought the Rugged Ridge CJ-5 seats and fabbed my own risers out of aluminum . The seat backs are basically 90 degrees to the base so I made the brackets about 3/4” higher in the front. I don’t have much time in them but they are a decent product for a fair price. I think they were ordered from 4 wheel parts. I’m 6’ tall so I also shifted the driver back a bit to clear the dog house. So far, so good.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Something else you might give consideration to is the seat material. Cloth is harder to clean than vinyl, but if you've ever sat down on a vinyl seat in very cold temperatures, especially with fairly thin pants, you'll know what I'm trying to describe.

On our TUG project we decided to get the stock seats reupholstered, and chose a combination of cloth and vinyl for the new upholstery, with a diamond stitching pattern on the cloth. They turned out very nicely.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Reactions: PJL

rockaukum

Thank you all! Great information and insight on the do's and don'ts with the seat options. My current seat bottom is reclined a bit which I do like as it gives support for the whole leg and keeps the butt from carrying all the weight. However the bolsters are large and do not allow me the ability to easily look backwards (no mirrors, yet!).
I checked all the suggestion provided and feel the Probax looks like a nice seat with considerable padding. Have not decided on cloth or vinyl. Probably go with vinyl as they are to easier to clean. If in the future I want the cloth, I'll hit my friend up for a swap. A day in the cat for making custom covers??? I do like the diamond stitching, looks great!
Again, Thanks of the input. I need to do a bit more research to see about trying them out before purchase or confirm the return policies in case they are not what I want.
ra

rockaukum

I pulled the wallet and got a seat for 200 as a trial. Had to retrofit some things but was able to reuse the track from he old seat. I think I will have to reconfigure the pedistal as my head is very close to the roof. I have yet to get it out on the snow to see for sure. Thanks for the insights and help!
ra

Attachments

• PXL_20240403_223034558.jpg
    PXL_20240403_223034558.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13