• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rose Garden

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only have wild roses on my property.

But as a kid growing up my father grew dozens of roses. It was my job as a kid to tend to them. In the fall we would, prune them back, mound dirt up around their bases and cover them with styrofoam "rose cones" which then had more dirt mounded up around their bases to effectively seal the rose bush inside the cone. The thing I most remember was the bloodshed from the thorns.

Honestly they are beautiful flowers but the rose bushes can be brutal. I recall my dad coming home with new "rare" varieties. This was in the mid-1960s (up through the 1990's when he passed).

I have 1 wild rose bush in one of my flower beds that we didn't bush-hog down. The base is about 3' in diameter and 8+ feet tall with the branches cascading out to a radius that can reach 8 to 10 feet across, but I trim those back to about 6' so it doesn't look so wild. One of these days I'll back up the tractor, attach something to the 3 point hitch and figure out a way to pull it out of the ground ... but I've been saying that for 15 years so it might be a while before I tear it out. Might be easier to poison it and then burn it out?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We have the floribunda roses allover our Hippie Ridge property.

They are a nuisance beyond belief. One had completely engulfed my '39 Ford 9N tractor in a two year period. Took the better part of a day to clear the machine from the thorny bush.

Now Tea roses are another matter. I grow them for the wife who loves yellow roses. Our wedding was overflowing with yellow rose buds.

When not in bloom, I buy bouquets. For most of our marriage, she has had anywhere from one solitaire to a dozen yellow roses on her nightstand.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have no idea what that rose is. If it had a little more yellow in it I would think that it was a Harry Wheatcroft.

I come from Aberdeen in Scotland which has won the Britain in Bloom and Europe in Bloom contest so many times that it got banned from competing for several years. I have grown roses for over 50-years. Roses and tulips are the only flowers that I truly enjoy growing.

When we moved to our home 25-years ago, one of the first things I did, besides planting an asparagus bed, was to make a rose garden. It's still there and probably always will be.

ronald989

I only have wild roses on my property.

But as a kid growing up my father grew dozens of roses. It was my job as a kid to tend to them. In the fall we would, prune them back, mound dirt up around their bases and cover them with styrofoam "rose cones" which then had more dirt mounded up around their bases to effectively seal the rose bush inside the cone. The thing I most remember was the bloodshed from the thorns.

Honestly they are beautiful flowers but the rose bushes can be brutal. I recall my dad coming home with new "rare" varieties. This was in the mid-1960s (up through the 1990's when he passed).

I have 1 wild rose bush in one of my flower beds that we didn't bush-hog down. The base is about 3' in diameter and 8+ feet tall with the branches cascading out to a radius that can reach 8 to 10 feet across, but I trim those back to about 6' so it doesn't look so wild. One of these days I'll back up the tractor, attach something to the 3 point hitch and figure out a way to pull it out of the ground ... but I've been saying that for 15 years so it might be a while before I tear it out. Might be easier to poison it and then burn it out?
tnkyou for the reply... i am expecting more information like this from you:love:

ronald989

We have the floribunda roses allover our Hippie Ridge property.

They are a nuisance beyond belief. One had completely engulfed my '39 Ford 9N tractor in a two year period. Took the better part of a day to clear the machine from the thorny bush.

Now Tea roses are another matter. I grow them for the wife who loves yellow roses. Our wedding was overflowing with yellow rose buds.

When not in bloom, I buy bouquets. For most of our marriage, she has had anywhere from one solitaire to a dozen yellow roses on her nightstand.
hi can you show me the flower to me...any pictures, please
I have no idea what that rose is. If it had a little more yellow in it I would think that it was a Harry Wheatcroft.

I come from Aberdeen in Scotland which has won the Britain in Bloom and Europe in Bloom contest so many times that it got banned from competing for several years. I have grown roses for over 50-years. Roses and tulips are the only flowers that I truly enjoy growing.

When we moved to our home 25-years ago, one of the first things I did, besides planting an asparagus bed, was to make a rose garden. It's still there and probably always will be.
oh yes you are right:love:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, I'm no good at pictures. But I'll try to get the wife to take one.

My passion is actually Hibiscus.

Here's my China double, complements of Captain Bligh.
My Hibiscus from China bloomed today.

IMG_3721.JPG

Last edited: