• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Reclaiming the old garden from the ravages of Mother Nature

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny how a 48" by 3" branch, stuck under a 72" finish mower deck, can create such a ruckus. And smoke, there was lots of smoke. And vibration, or perhaps more accurately shaking.

Squealing, shuttering, and smoke.

Probably going to have to replace that belt soon. But I got it cleared and it's operating again. For now.

Was working to reclaim the old garden area, and mowing the overgrowth around it.

The old garden is sort of our riff on an English cottage garden. Crushed stone paths between framed garden beds. We have 2 larger beds and about a half dozen narrow long beds. The narrow beds are roughly 4' wide by 12' long. There is also a hexagon bed in the middle and a couple others. It's actually a practical garden, or it was, and it looked sort of pretty too. The 4' wide beds, surrounded by stone paths, made reaching into the middle easy. And doing vertical gardening in the narrow beds with support sticks and tomato cages made life even easier. The 2 large beds were for things like melons, pumpkins, etc that spread.

The entire thing is overgrown. Mother Nature has done a fine job of trying to reclaim it. It's going to take round up or a similar product to recover the stone paths. But they are still there under the overgrowth. The wood frames, which I think are cedar, are actually very solid and sound. It's been several years since we gardened in this area.

The photo clearly shows the 2 larger beds. Which both were tilled today to try to cut up some of the weeds/grasses. The grass around them is covering the stone paths. There is also a bluestone walkway under there that I was standing on when I took the photo, but that is also invisible. You can see my burn pile about 50' farther back in the field. I did manage to get the area around the burn pile mowed today after clearing the branch from the mower. I'll have plenty of debris from deadfall to toss on there too.

IMG_1475.jpeg

Got the stone stairway down the hill mostly reclaimed. Cut the thorn bushes and other nasties cut back all the way down so it is walkable without being a hazard to life and limb again. It needs to be sprayed with vegetation killer, but at least there are no more thorny plants growing up in the rocks or dangling over the path from the sides. It's cleared on each side of the path about 3'.

Also you can see an old swinging bench sitting in the photo. Believe it or not, that is sitting ON TOP of a bluestone path/small patio. Like I said, going to need some round up (or maybe I should just salt the earth).

IMG_1474.jpeg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mom Nature is incredible at reclaiming "her" land. If you don't diligently keep it for yourself, depending on the location, it can be gone in weeks, months and sometimes a couple years.
I've spent about $800 in herbicides and mulch just in the last month or so. I'm spraying or spreading weed killers all the time.

Oh, watch that smoke on your mower. I was using my mower last fall to mulch some thick leaves. Burned out the clutch. $500 later, it's back and running but an expensive lesson.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mom Nature is incredible at reclaiming "her" land. If you don't diligently keep it for yourself, depending on the location, it can be gone in weeks, months and sometimes a couple years.
I've spent about $800 in herbicides and mulch just in the last month or so. I'm spraying or spreading weed killers all the time.

Oh, watch that smoke on your mower. I was using my mower last fall to mulch some thick leaves. Burned out the clutch. $500 later, it's back and running but an expensive lesson.
On a lunch break but getting ready to take out a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and go after the paths with herbicide.

And the smoke, it was clearly coming from the belt. I did break a clutch on a big rototiller once. Expensive problem that was.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
4 gallon backpack sprayer
Do you like your backpack sprayer?
I have 2 of the Solo brand. Worked great for a couple years but then went to shit. IIRC, the diaphragm assembly quit on both. Not worth fixing.
I use the 2-3 gallon hand-carry sprayers. PITA filling them all the time but I'm in tight spaces right now so not pulling out one of the 15 or 25 gallon sprayers.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have owned the same "ROUND UP" backpack sprayer for probably close to a decade. Works flawlessly. Got it at Tractor Supply. Looks like they still sell them. Not sure if they use the same internal parts as mine, but they look the same.

It is approx 4.5 gallons, which is enough to tire me out. I just did 9 gallons, 2 tank fulls, around the garden. I garden organically so the planting beds were NOT sprayed. But I have no problem with everything killer being applied to pathways. I got all the paths and the whole perimeter of the garden sprayed, plus the stone path/stairway coming down the hill, plus the bluestone walkway between the garden and the stone stairs, plus the bluestone pathway that goes along the side of the garden shed and the stairs and flat area in front of the garden shed.

Used up my supply of ORTHO GroundClear from the main garage (about a gallon and a half?) that was left over from last year. I probably have a few more gallons of concentrate in the workshop but at this point I'm too tired to walk 150' to load up another tank or two of killer.

I also used some "weed and feed" and got the lawn around the walk out basement patio, lawn behind the living room and down a path through the woods sprayed. Yesterday I did the dog/swimming pool yard and part of the front lawn. I'll probably to out to do more of the front lawn after I get a big glass of water and a little sit down. But I came in because the front hose has a 'quick' adapter on the hose end, which is not compatible with the bottles of "weed and feed" I need to connect it to. So I either need a wrench or an adapter . . . I know where both are located . . . but my butt is comfortably in a chair at the moment.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the info on the sprayer. ;)

A couple thoughts.
Most herbicides don't have a shelf life of more than a couple years. I have stuff that's been sitting around for more then that. I double the dosage and hope for the best.
I like Ortho products but have switched to Spectracide. I think the latter is a bit better product.

I have a problem with nostoc commune, pictured below. The only thing that can touch it is a chemical called Scythe. I sprayed it and so-far, so-good. That Scythe will kill pretty much any other plant in a matter of minutes, no matter what it is.

iu

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used about TRIPLE the dose because it was old!!!

I figure I'm old, I accomplish less, so I treat chemicals the same way.