• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oh crap! shorted wire...

rockaukum

zspryte, I like the idea of the panel ground.
I made two stops on the way home and had no luck getting wire as I was thinking of keeping the color code noted on the chart. Not sure how important it is to maintain the color code as the wires are faded and difficult to see what color they actually are.
Any suggestions as to where to get the wire online? I live kinda remote and selections are a bit limited unless I drive and hour or so.
One last item.... I'm thinking 18 gauge coper stranded, staying away from coper coated aluminum.
ra

zspryte

Site Supporter
Time to eat crow for the 2nd time in this thread - Pulled the dash and found no voltage regulator - only an imprint where one was once attached. My fuel, oil and temperature gauges say 12v at the bottom of their faces and have 12v stamped on their bodies. Their SW date codes indicates they were made in 1969, and given my cat was sold in 1967, they ain't original! My mistake ... Can't say what voltage the regulator puts out as I don't have one. My mistake again ...

Yes - cooper stranded. NAPA carries wire in small lenghts, different colors and gauges - as do most automotive parts stores.

rockaukum

I'd rather eat crow than this, as it seems to continue to grow!
After taking a break and stretching the legs on the mountain, I decided to head out in the cat with my son for some exploring and skiing. I got up early and loaded the cat onto the trailer, stopped for some fuel then up the mountain. Went to off-load the cat it it would not start! We messed around a bit with it before giving up. All was not lost for the day as we did get a lap in the BC. Got home and tested things. Found no spark! Investigated further and took out the pertronix to bench test..... Nothing! Crap again!
I spoke with the tech at Pertronix and went through all that had happened. He agreed the unit was toast! telltale sign (outside of the no spark issue) was the burnt label on top of the unit. Seems it acts as a sort of heat sink and goes a little brown when it fails. He said it is uncommon for the unit to work after my short issue but it can happen as it did for me. I guess I should be happy that it failed when it did, not after heading out in the mountains then failing....
Currently doing a little research on the points set-up. Not that I am going to go full time with points but have them as a failsafe to get out. I need to make the wire from the points to the coil negative post. If I am correct, this wire originates under the points, exits the distributor and connects tot he negative on the coil. Anybody to confirm this? Also looking for the correct gap setting as I will put a feeler gauge in the box as well. Again, Ford 200 ci six cylinder motor.
Thanks!
ra

Attachments

• PXL_20240418_232725284.jpg
    PXL_20240418_232725284.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am aware of a lot of people that question spark and carry spare parts.

The folks that dont question wether or not they have spark..... have points.

:cool:)))

If i carry anything extra in the self rescue kit, i carry a pc of sand paper/emery cloth.

You could install the wire and just tape up the ends for future use

rockaukum

redsqwrl, Not sure I follow on the tape up? can you elaborate?
The cat had the old pertronix when I got it, that one shorted out because the distributor lock down bolt was loos and had a bit of oil crud built up all around it. You should see the oil pan! A prior owner crashed into something big time. Broke the front axle welds that I found while messing with the tracks. So I think that is where the oil came from as the dip stick would not seat and leaked oil. Yet another future project....
I hear ya on the points....
Last time I messed with points was the early 80's! Hence the question on the wire to the coil.
zspryte, thanks for the confirmation and the gap setting. If I understand correctly, the wire will attach under the points mounting screw.
Thanks folks!
For your viewing pleasure, this link is from earlier this season on a BC tour with my son. Film and edit was done by him and He is working on one of our cat trips as well...
ra

zspryte

Site Supporter
Way cool on the video - you have a budding film maker. Looks like some awesome snow and runs! If that's Tragedy Spring above Silver Lake then you were about 15 miles north of me as the crow flys.

rockaukum

Yep, that's it. I've been touring that area for over twenty years.
You must be off of hwy 4 somewhere. That is a nice area for sure but I have not explored it with the exception of the resort. Were they able to keep it in operation? Several years ago I thought it was purchased buy a local group, not sure...
I spent a little time with the cat today tracing some of the wires for the gauges. I did not really want to but I crawled under it to inspect the wires. I found the engine ground strap with about three strands left. I guess I'll be getting one of those tomorrow.
ra

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The wire you descibed for the points. (From points to negative of coil) can be reinstalled and just tucked off to the side.
You would tape it to avoid it failing into the rotor or spinning weights.

Inregards to where it goes. It is a switched hot. It never goes to ground. It has a terminal on the point set. And the other end is on the coil.
I could make a video of this if needed.

rockaukum

Great information. So just leave it in place but isolated within the distributor, would I leave it connected tot he coil or fro safety, isolate it at the coil end as well. A video would be nice to see as a confirmation in my mind. Up to you as it is a bit of a process?
ra