• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC-4 transmission disabled and wonder why

SOS RANCH

It was called "Lady Bug" locally around the lake resort. Whatever... I don't really care. What I want to call it however is Ms. Reliable Goanywhere.... LOL

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was called "Lady Bug" locally around the lake resort. Whatever... I don't really care. What I want to call it however is Ms. Reliable Goanywhere.... LOL
In the hands of an operator. imps are the best snowcats out there. No tierods bending.
if an idler fails you have enough to move them to the critical positions and self rescue.
Engine you can service with a vicegrip
Room in the cab for many and a dog
Low psi rating

If you get crazy search out some of the builders of imps here on the forum from 07 thru early teens. Large idlers, torsion axles, v6 bolt in engine upgrades lots of fun.
The reliable ladybug.

SOS RANCH

Small update... After installing the rear shifter, I had a couple of old brass doorknobs so I tapped them to the same thread and put them on the shifters. Looks great and a bit sparkly. The wood tray came with it but I sanded it down and refinished it. The cup holders are exactly the same size and a beer can. ;o). I know that at 40 below hands can stick to the metal knobs but it never gets that low where I live. Zero once in a while and at such a time I will be wearing gloves! I also found a heater that might work (the present one works but is old and really noisy). Photo attached. It had 4 different configurations that appears to allow it to be modified to fit and aim a hose to the defroster and one for the passenger compartment. Several speeds, probably quiet and more efficient than the present old one...

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpeg
    IMG_1434.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 1.54.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 1.54.29 PM.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 12

BoyToys

Pretty good looking heater. I've only run mine a couple times just to see if it works. Just a little noisy, not bad, but if I get a wild hair someday I'll pull it all apart...clean the commutator and lube the bushings, etc. I've resurrected many a motor back from death. As long as the carbon brushes aren't worn down...and I've fabricated those on occasion from the carbon core of D cell batteries. Just my nature :) This Imp fits my personality.

SOS RANCH

Sounds like your nature is to have fun, BT ;o) My long time pal since before the first grade tells me that if the contest is who has the most toys when they die, I will win. But perhaps you and I will tie !!

BoyToys

Boys, and their Toys...that's me. Died in the wool DIY'er. I'm down to 6 vehicles, one house and one off-grid mountain cabin. I pity my sister when the time comes to administer my estate.

SOS RANCH

Well, let's see. 16 things with wheels and engines including the snowcat. I gotta downsize. I gotta sell 10 to be even with you... LOL.

BoyToys

Well, let's see. 16 things with wheels and engines including the snowcat. I gotta downsize. I gotta sell 10 to be even with you... LOL.
Well I could add my lawn tractor and snow blower but you have me beat by a long shot. You must be farming, or have a serious problem!
Me, I'm 6 years retired and have thinned down the herd. My time is free but motivation is sometimes lacking. But I do love tinkering with internal combustion things. Should probably start planning a battery Tesla Imp for when dinosaur squeezings become obsolete.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty good looking heater. I've only run mine a couple times just to see if it works. Just a little noisy, not bad, but if I get a wild hair someday I'll pull it all apart...clean the commutator and lube the bushings, etc. I've resurrected many a motor back from death. As long as the carbon brushes aren't worn down...and I've fabricated those on occasion from the carbon core of D cell batteries. Just my nature :) This Imp fits my personality.
I spent 2 of 4 hours in my sons cat at a recent cat clowder event with his blower motor in my hands it wore the thrust bearing out and the armature wound pull to the end and get hot. a ball of tin foil will keep it blowing for about 20 minutes. the D cell is something I never thought of. Brilliant

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boys, and their Toys...that's me. Died in the wool DIY'er. I'm down to 6 vehicles, one house and one off-grid mountain cabin. I pity my sister when the time comes to administer my estate.
rookie numbers :cool:)

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I could add my lawn tractor and snow blower but you have me beat by a long shot. You must be farming, or have a serious problem!
Me, I'm 6 years retired and have thinned down the herd. My time is free but motivation is sometimes lacking. But I do love tinkering with internal combustion things. Should probably start planning a battery Tesla Imp for when dinosaur squeezings become obsolete.
I can't wait to meet you two. should our path cross it will be funny......

I will now walk out to the shed to see if the solectria electric car controller charger and motor are still in the dry part of the failing shed...... It was going into a kitten until the crank began rotating again.... the motor and controller may wind up in a kristi as a stunt.....

I have 30+ snow cats, don't get me started on other motor and wheels items............