• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My beloved dog's life is about to end. Natural, euthansia or pistol?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
She's not showing symptoms of pain.
She has a "mass" in her abdomen. It's taken up 50% of her abdominal cavity. Vet said she probably wouldn't survive the surgery.
She eats about 1 tablespoon of food per day then pukes it up.
She's so weak, she can barely walk. Doesn't (or can't) even lift her head when she sees us.
I don't want her to literally starve to death.
I'm now just deciding if I'm going to take her in today or tomorrow for euthanasia. :(
I have had to put a few down, and its never a good day. I also kept a couple around too long because I didn't want to let go. I don't plan on doing that anymore as I was doing it for me, not the best thing for my buddy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tough day for sure. Stress headaches for everyone. :( Mrs. Zoom napped. I wasn't able so I'm outside trying to keep myself distracted.
We got something like 7 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks. We weren't up for hand-digging a grave so I got the tractor out. It sunk around 6" into the yard. We got her buried then did our best to cover our tracks.
Had a huge cherry tree fall in the yard last night. Screw it. It'll be there for another day.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got something burning on my mind.

My wife asked me awhile ago, why/how is it my decision when our dog dies.
My thoughts:
Is it a decision anyone else can make?
Did I do the right thing?
Did I do it too early?
Did I do it too late?

Those thoughts will weigh on my mind forever.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got something burning on my mind.

My wife asked me awhile ago, why/how is it my decision when our dog dies.
My thoughts:
Is it a decision anyone else can make?
Did I do the right thing?
Did I do it too early?
Did I do it too late?

Those thoughts will weigh on my mind forever.
I think those thoughts have hit many of us at times like this.
I hope you can get past the thoughts.
Otherwise they can drive you insane. You know you made the best decision at the time from what you've seen and what you knew of her. Move on. Don't look back.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you can get past the thoughts.
I am getting past them. I feel I did the right thing, at the right time.
Cleaned out her "stuff". Was able to return about $70 worth of treats. Looking for someone to take the rest, otherwise it's going to the Humane Society.

One thing I just did. Took the cover off her bed, washed it and now it's a seat cover for my ATV. In a way, she's still riding with me as she loved to do.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm changing the "take a picture today" to probably NO.
Her weakened and very thin appearance is not how I want to remember her.
I have many great pictures of her for remembrance.
Do you have another dog? If not about the only way to get over it in any reasonable amount of time, is get another one. Ask me how I know.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Remember that a dog is only a small part of your life but you & your family are your dog's whole life. Let the fact that your dog is loved and had a great home as a real member of your family comfort you.

PHICAB

Do you have another dog? If not about the only way to get over it in any reasonable amount of time, is get another one. Ask me how I know.
M1west,
100% agree...after our 2nd lab of 12 years had passed, that same day i put a down payment on a border collie. I had to wait 3 weeks until i could pick him up until he was 8 weeks old. My wife had just retired from real estate and those 3 weeks all she did was cry, she thought about those labs every day. The day that wild ass ( LOL ) border collie puppy came home she has been so happy! We still miss them, but it sure makes it easier!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No more dogs for us. We are working on being "empty nesters".

We're in our 60's and want to travel more. The way it's been is someone in the family (normally me or one of the kids) stayed home with the dog since being put in a kennel kicked her butt (that's a different, irrelevant story).

Mrs. Zoom currently travels/vacations around 10-14 days/month. Right now, she's on her third cruise in the last 4 months. I'd like to join her now and then. Not having a dog is one less obligation precluding me from doing my own vacationing.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like I’m the odd man out …… when you see them not enjoying life and hurting it’s time. I’ve always put my dogs down myself. I’ve been “fortunate“ I suppose for having the time to prepare for the last 4. Last dog I had the burial plot prepped months before, we got lucky and he responded to a new drug that gave us extra time. It hurts but it is my firm belief that it’s like taking a knockout punch and not waking.