• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Military Pics / Photos

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was a Radioman
Here is some of the gear we had to work with.
Radio gear on the USS Nautilus museum in Groton CT

RadioShackOnShip.jpg

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
@Doc
Were you the guy on the Stingray that could count the change dropping on the floor on the Orlando???
and had holes in your sox to get the squawk box connected to the radio ;)

Great movie by the way too!

tom

• Haha
Reactions: Doc

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I was a Radioman
Here is some of the gear we had to work with.
Radio gear on the USS Nautilus museum in Groton CT

View attachment 174158
Ah, yes! I remember that stuff well. I was a Fire-Control Technician (controlling the firing of guns with radar) and a lot of our equipment looked similar back in those days. We had some equipment in CIC (Combat Information Center) so we interacted with Radio and Radar people.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that a real pic of the aircraft carriers?
The top one appears to be CVN-81 but that's still being built.
I recognize the aircraft on CVN-78 but there's all kinds of aircraft on 81 that I don't recognize. What are those white jets towards the aft? What are those triangle looking things in the middle? Drones? What are those helicopters with the bright blue canopies?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that a real pic of the aircraft carriers?
The top one appears to be CVN-81 but that's still being built.
I recognize the aircraft on CVN-78 but there's all kinds of aircraft on 81 that I don't recognize. What are those white jets towards the aft? What are those triangle looking things in the middle? Drones? What are those helicopters with the bright blue canopies?
It's a pic from a FB military pics group. I though it real or I wouldn't have posted it but ..... I cannot say for sure.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The speed of the top 10 most powerful combat aircraft nowadays.

for reference a few conversions:
2120 km/h = 1317 mph
2780 km/h = 1727 mph
3017 km/h = 1874 mph
3540 km/h = 2199 mph

mp195.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one surprised me. I would have guessed a much higher number for the US and all other countries.

Number of Fighter Aircraft by county
The fighter aircraft are in fact a small percentage of total military aircraft.
This shows total military aircraft by country.

The US has over 13,000 military aircraft.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The F-16 was designed to be the best air-to-air dogfighter. To enable this, the F-16 was the first aircraft with a reinforced airframe, enabling it to survive 9-Gs. The pilot’s seat was elevated and set to 30 degrees instead of 12 degrees like other 4th generation aircraft. This angle helps the pilot avoid blacking out during high G maneuvers. The control stick is set to the pilot’s right side versus a traditional middle stick. This provides arm support and more control to the pilot in very tight turns. The F-16 has a one-piece, polycarbonate, bubble canopy with no forward frame. This bird-proof canopy enables the pilot to have a full 360-degree view, better than other 4th generation aircraft.

mp188.jpg

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
What's really cool about the flight control on the F16 is that it's the first to be designed unstable. It is an unstable aircraft. The computers control the instability, which actually makes it more maneuverable.