• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid 80's Prinoth GT-300 (Go-Tract) with Perkins diesel

thepartyhound

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a mid 80's Prinoth GT-300. I know NOTHING about snowcats, but I have test drove this and it seems to run good and function as it should. I am looking for any info I can find on it as so far my internet searching skills have made zero headway on learning about this machine. It has a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel in it. The data plate calls it a 236...I think; it's all in French. It has a New Process 542L transmission, I believe a Dana 303 axle, and a T-16 2-speed T-case. Again, it's all in French so I'm not 100% on all of this. The size of the machine is about 7.5 feet wide by 14 feet long. I estimate it to weigh somewhere in the 5000 - 6000 pound range.
So, I'm looking for any info I can find on this machine. Manuals would be fantastic, but likely unrealistic. I'm really hoping that someone is going to chime in and tell me that parts mostly match up with a Bombadier 200 or something to that effect. I plan to use this to access property I have that sits at about 8500' elevation in the winter time. We often have very dry, powdery, "sugar like" snow that does not pack down well depending on the year. Is this going to be a good machine for those snow conditions? I appreciate any info anyone can provide!

thepartyhound

Well, I picked up the 'ol girl! I sure hope I can find parts if they are needed! I'll add some more pics and info soon.
1000001350.jpg

Reactions: PJL

J5 Bombardier

Nice looking machine and the Superduty . If your on Facebook , join the group "Bombardier Keeping them alive " , lots of info there.
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

If you run that eng serial number it's an LD (4.236) , U (built in UK) , M ( year of manufacture) either 1985 or 2005 as the letter M is used again. The serial number of the vehicle is 05-07-35 , you would think it's the 35th built in may of 2007 or July of 2005 , if the motor was built early 2005 in Britain or it's been replaced. Have you got paperwork showing this machine was made in the eighties ? Looks like you'd have to register on the Prinoth site to possibly get any info.
J5 Bombardier

Last edited:

thepartyhound

If you run that eng serial number it's an LD (4.236) , U (built in UK) , M ( year of manufacture) either 1985 or 2005 as the letter M is used again. The serial number of the vehicle is 05-07-35 , you would think it's the 35th built in may of 2007 or July of 2005 , if the motor was built early 2005 in Britain or it's been replaced. Have you got paperwork showing this machine was made in the eighties ? Looks like you'd have to register on the Prinoth site to possibly get any info.
J5 Bombardier
It very well could be that the motor was replaced, although the clock only shows 1600 hrs. It really doesn't feel '05 or '07 ish. Is sure feels 1985. Very little electronics involved; mechanical injector pump, no glow plugs, and is somewhat underpowered. I took it out for the first time yesterday. I've got pretty major oil leak. It is the strangest thing, too. It seems to be leaking gear oil from what looks to me to be a hydraulic line that attaches in what I would call the yoke in front of the rear differential, just behind the parking brake. There are 2 of these hoses that attach here and I cannot for the life of me figure out what they do or where the other end runs to. It seems to disappear under the transmission somewhere. There is zero access under this area. I think I would have to pull the cab off to see anything under there.

thepartyhound

J5 Bombardier
I have ZERO paperwork on it. I bought it from a guy who only owned it a short while. He bought it from a guy who bought it at an auction somewhere.

J5 Bombardier

It very well could be that the motor was replaced, although the clock only shows 1600 hrs. It really doesn't feel '05 or '07 ish. Is sure feels 1985. Very little electronics involved; mechanical injector pump, no glow plugs, and is somewhat underpowered. I took it out for the first time yesterday. I've got pretty major oil leak. It is the strangest thing, too. It seems to be leaking gear oil from what looks to me to be a hydraulic line that attaches in what I would call the yoke in front of the rear differential, just behind the parking brake. There are 2 of these hoses that attach here and I cannot for the life of me figure out what they do or where the other end runs to. It seems to disappear under the transmission somewhere. There is zero access under this area. I think I would have to pull the cab off to see anything under there.
Sounds like diff cooler lines . Guess the only way is give Prinoth or Track Industries Ltd the serial number and see what they say . Track Industries is closer to you.

Last edited:

thepartyhound

Sounds like diff cooler lines . Guess the only way is give Prinoth or Track Industries Ltd the serial number and see what they say . Track Industries is closer to you.
Is Track Industries who makes Go-Tract? I have been in contact with Prinoth. I'm pretty sure I have gotten the blowoff from them. I'll try them again and maybe see if someone else answers.
Diff cooler lines? I actually like the sound of that. Is there a pump of some sort in the diff that pumps the gear oil through the lines? I can't tell where the lines run to but I guess a radiator of some sort up front is plausable.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you likely have a go-tract, I have a customer who has one and it looks like yours. They are heavy

thepartyhound

you likely have a go-tract, I have a customer who has one and it looks like yours. They are heavy
Yes, it is a Prinoth Go-Tract 300. This is a fairly heavy machine. I estimate between 5-6000 lbs. All of the running gear is heavy duty like it was built for work. Do you know anything about your customer's machine?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes he rolls his rear idlers off the rim a lot cause he can turn so tight, and he does a lot. They are more utility cat than snow cat. he loves his, he grooms trails in the mountains of western PA

thepartyhound

Hmm, this one does NOT turn tight! In fact, it turns rather poorly, especially to the left. Does his have what appear to be hydraulic lines running to the yoke of his diff and carry gear oil? I need to get some pics of this up so folks can see what I'm talking about. I can't see where the other ends go because they disappear under the tranny.