• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is there such a thing? GMRS Transceiver + NOAA + Police/Emergency Scanner

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know there are GMRS Transcievers with NOAA
I know there are Police/EMT/Fire/Emergency Services Scanners with NOAA

What about GMRS Transceiver + NOAA + Emergency Services Scanner?

ALSO . . . can someone explain "repeaters" so I can understand those too
(it would help if you use crayons & talk s_l_o_w and LOUD please)

But I think I might be in the market for a mobil/base unit that combines ALL 3 of those things, if one such item exists.

Please bear in mind I'm pretty clueless about most of this stuff. I have a couple friends urging me to join their GMRS group. I don't know much, but know enough to know I need to start asking a lot of questions. I'm trying to figure out a few things, I've wanted an Emergency Services scanner for years, never got one, and think I might be able to move from FRS to GMRS for simple Push To Talk, but also get rid of the dedicated NOAA radio that blasts warnings, and maybe add Police/Fire/EMS to the mix.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. 1 device, 3 products.

I'd also be looking for a couple handheld units too, especially if they do ALL 3, but if I could simply get GMRS + NOAA on the handhelds that would be fine, I know those exist, but if I could get EMS scanning on a handheld that would be a bonus. On the mobil/Base unit I want to add the EMS scanning function too.

Last edited:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a video on using a radio I have A BAOFENG UV9R PLUS programed for our fire frequencies, FRS GMRS but no NOAA
I don't have it set up to scan though and i suggest using chirp to program the radio it makes it so easy I can do it

these could be programmed in

What are the 7 frequencies for NOAA?
All NOAA Weather Radio stations broadcast on one of seven frequencies in the VHF Public Service band: 162.400 megahertz (MHz), 162.425 MHz, 162.450 MHz, 162.475 MHz, 162.500 MHz, 162.525 MHz, and 162.550 MHz.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So if I understand it correctly, and I am not sure that I do . . .

A radio like these 2 from BTech:

MOBILE/BASE UNIT

OR

HANDHELD UNIT

would allow me to program the various local emergency services/fire/ambulance/police frequencies
AND
it would allow me to program in at least one of the NOAA channels
AND
it would allow me to scan through the various GMRS frequencies

Am I correct with that?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And while the above two are somewhat more advanced, they should also be compatible with a simple GMRS radio as well? Is that correct?

So something like this will also work, although have less power/range than the others, is that correct?

NEXT QUESTION . . . .

In theory I am in range of a repeater, possibly more than 1 repeaters. If one of the handhelds is OUT OF RANGE of the house, but in range of the same repeater that the house is able to reach, then can I use one of the repeater channels to reach the handheld unit?

ViaLisboa

You've got a lot of questions and I will try and address them as best as I can.
Would it allow me to program the various local emergency services/fire/ambulance/police frequencies?
Potentially, you need to make sure the local emergency service frequencies are within the capabilities of your radio. GMRS is going to be restricted to ONLY GMRS frequencies which fall under UHF / 70cm Band. I'd recommend looking at a Dual Band Radio.

Example: If law enforcement is using a digital frequency with encryption -- you will not be able to hear it. With these specific radios you are limited to FM on analog.
Would it allow me to program in at least one of the NOAA channels?
Most likely not, because GMRS is going to limit you to the few preprogrammed channels for the same point made above.

Would it allow me to scan through the various GMRS frequencies?

They should also be compatible with a simple GMRS radio as well? Is that correct?
You are correct. A GMRS radio will let you scan all GMRS frequencies.

So something like this will also work, although have less power/range than the others, is that correct?
That is also correct. Those are 3 Watts versus the 5 Watts radios you previously linked to.

In theory I am in range of a repeater, possibly more than 1 repeaters. If one of the handhelds is OUT OF RANGE of the house, but in range of the same repeater that the house is able to reach, then can I use one of the repeater channels to reach the handheld unit?
That is correct. Repeaters are used when you cannot directly interact with something, but there is a middle person who can see both radios to relay the conversation.

Example: If you were 10 feet away from me and there was something such as a large wall, home, or vehicle that was blocking me from directly communicating with you, but there was a radio tower tall enough to see us both and talk to us both, then you use that radio tower to relay conversations.

I see you posted about this almost a month ago, so if you are on any social medias and want to reach out with more questions, I am happy to answer them for you. Feel free to send me a private message and we can coordinate a better channel to talk on.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ViaLisboa, thank you for the reply. I was actually steered toward the Wouxun radios. But I've not yet purchased anything. I've been really busy with a few things, not the least of it is working as a fencing coach and we are in full competition season right now. So as of now I'm 'on hold' and not purchasing but still very interested.

On an Indiana gun specific forum I was directed toward the Wouxun brand radios. Lots of users there (Ham & GMRS) and there are many using the B-Tech, but most say it is more of an entry level brand and people eventually go up to either Midland or Wouxun. Wouxun seems to actually get better reviews, a few more features, etc. The Jeep folks seem to favor the Midland brand the non-Jeepers Wouxun. I dunno why.

I'd love some additional input.

Specifically Wouxun KG -1000G PLUS . . . (dual band, mobile/base) to install in the car.

For a handheld, also Wouxun, for that, either the KG-Q10G (dual band) or the KG-S88G (single band)

Last edited:

ViaLisboa

I'd love some additional input.

Specifically Wouxun KG -1000G PLUS . . . (dual band, mobile/base) to install in the car.
I watched Randy's (NotARubicon) video reviewing it and honestly it seems like a solid unit! I'm of the opinion the hardest radio to purchase is the first one and it seems like you have some solid leads on a good radio.

My one small input is that I am a big fan of using CHIRP for radio programming as it has some pretty handy features for just about most radios and is free and always upgrading. I am of the opinion that some radio manufactures create some software and that it receives zero upkeep and gets locked to a platform and operating system that quickly phases out. I feel CHIRP does a great job at bridging that gap.

With that said, only your mobile radio (KG-1000G+) is compatible with CHIRP. If you are going to pull the trigger on a Wouxun radio HERE is the list for their supported radios. When you go through all the trouble of getting your programming information together for the mobile, it would be stupid easy to copy and paste them to your handheld.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . I am a big fan of using CHIRP for radio programming as it has some pretty handy features for just about most radios and is free and always upgrading. I am of the opinion that some radio manufactures create some software and that it receives zero upkeep and gets locked to a platform and operating system that quickly phases out. I feel CHIRP does a great job at bridging that gap.

With that said, only your mobile radio (KG-1000G+) is compatible with CHIRP. If you are going to pull the trigger on a Wouxun radio HERE is the list for their supported radios. When you go through all the trouble of getting your programming information together for the mobile, it would be stupid easy to copy and paste them to your handheld.
So this one should work for me and appears to be CHIRP compatible. One thing I want, should I take this leap, is NOAA weather and repeater capable too. This one appears to have both and apparently, based on your list, CHIRP.

ViaLisboa

One thing I want, should I take this leap, is NOAA weather and repeater capable too. This one appears to have both and apparently, based on your list, CHIRP.

Glancing over the checklist
- NOAA Weather Receivable, Yes!
- Repeater Capable, Yes!
- CHIRP support, Yes!

and a few other bells and whistles that I think may be applicable;
- Scan with Add and Delete
- 5+ Watts of Power
- Dual Channel Receive
- 2 Programmable Function Keys
- A bunch more

I think the handheld is a solid radio! I just want to make sure that you have also checked your local frequency lists to make sure that these radios will pick up the frequencies that you want and fit the capacities of the hardware. Outside of that it looks like you've done your homework well.