• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP WT steering band install question

Idaho IMP

I’m nearly done with my C-4 refurb on my Imp. Axle shafts have been replaced, reassembled, ready to put back in. Due to a broken end tab, I had to replace my steering bands. If anyone is familiar with the bands, and I assume the c-12 is similar, but do the roll pins need to go all the way through to the base of the riveted on bracket, or just the top portion of the V-tab then stick out the underside to capture the cast retainer Bracket with the C shape on the end??
IMG_9759.jpeg
My old bands, (which have been welded, so I know they’re not original) had The pin go all the way through till they hit the backside of the metal backer band that the brake liner rivets to. The new bands from Broken Tractor only have the face tab drilled for pins, and not the base of the bracket.

In thinking about it, when in a breaking moment, the end of the band is being forced into the v-notch bracket. When the band is relaxed, it just sits there. Am I correct in thinking the roll pins merely hold the band end in place and they “float” a tiny bit when not in use? Someone please chime in!

The bands from broken tractor seem to be very high quality. The only beef I have dips one of the pin holes for the roll pin iwas drilled a little of angle, so I’m having to upsize to a 1/8 diameter pin and bore out the one tab so it will align better with the retainer hole in the band bracket….

Sorry I don’t have any pictures right now. I’ll try to get some here today.

Idaho IMP

Brake band update: As everything about cat maintenance is a learning experience, the steering bands are no exception. So 10 days ago, I was ready for a test run after rewiring the IMP. I took it up to Baker Creek and went for a romp. The steering worked but needed adjustment. So I did what I could in the field and performance was marginal and definitely not what it should be. Fast forward to the following week. I needed the cat to haul in a bunch of insulation into a house we’re working on in the sawtooths. I made it into the house, roughly a mile and a half, and unloaded. When I went to drive out, to turn left, I had nothing. Something had left the chat.
Over this last weekend, I removed the rear cover and found the hook end had sheared of the backer band. Ughhhh. Junk!
Long story short, I emailed John, at Oliver tractors and he saved the day! He said the bands available for the Oc-46 on the internet are light duty and mostly junk. He is sending me an old set of bands with the heavier castings that I will re-line and install. Hopefully this will be the end of the saga! See my pics below and I will document the re-lining and reinstallation for other’s reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1017.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: PJL

BoyToys

That could rightly piss a person off. I bet getting back home was fun with only the right side turnable. A lot of backing up to point in the right direction.
John at Oliver is a great guy, hooked me up with seals and gaskets and spare shims when I had my C4 apart last fall. But alas, I didn't get the left brake band tight enough...she'll turn ok but not until warmed up bit...and I'm almost out of adjustment room at the actuating arm. So, guess who gets to pull the inspection plate and do it right this time. Uggghh....

Idaho IMP

It was all the fun and couldn’t have gone better. It’s like the remote control cars from the early 80‘s that only turned left in reverse! Thank goodness the right side didn’t break.
Yes, John needs to be up for sainthood! He is an invaluable resource for IMP owners! I’m becoming a pro at getting into the brake bands. I’m down to about 20 minutes! The reinstallation is easier now that I’ve cabbed the flat plate to reef on the bands when installing.

BoyToys

It was all the fun and couldn’t have gone better. It’s like the remote control cars from the early 80‘s that only turned left in reverse! Thank goodness the right side didn’t break.
Yes, John needs to be up for sainthood! He is an invaluable resource for IMP owners! I’m becoming a pro at getting into the brake bands. I’m down to about 20 minutes! The reinstallation is easier now that I’ve cabbed the flat plate to reef on the bands when installing.
Yeah, I saw your solution to fabbing up a plate to gain some leverage. I will steal shamelessly from you...thanks! (Snowcat Pat's original idea).
When I did my bands the first and only time, as you recall I had the entire differential removed and sitting in the shop. This time I'll just pull off the inspection plate.
I think the process is something like this: jack up the cat from the rear about a foot (probably from the hitch pintle, I may use an engine hoist), put another jack under the C4, losen the front pillow block, remove the rear pillow block, and lower the C4 enough to gain access to plate and innards. Then proceed as usual to remove the bands and adjust using your pry bar method to get 2 13/16" gap...or as tight as possible, then adjust linkages above to leave some slack, maybe an inch of throw. Sound about right?

Last edited: