• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ice plane

BoyToys

Back when I was a kid some 55 years ago or so, I spied a snow/ice plane (they used it on our frozen lakes) that someone had built. Simple construction...long V shaped with single ski up front and dual skis in back beneath what was probably a chainsaw motor with propeller attached. I bet that thing could really scoot along once it go going. That was back when we could count on the lakes freezing solid every winter. Not so anymore.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That was back when we could count on the lakes freezing solid every winter. Not so anymore.
Part of a long-term cycle of climate change that has little to nothing to do with mankind on the planet.
Our orbit around the Sun changes over time, as well as the output of the Sun. Combined it is a moving target to predict.
I believe that at some point winters will be what we call normal as we remember them. But the catch is
it may take much longer that you hope.
A volcano or better two in tandem would give us some reprieve. But then again, a large asteroid strike
would do the same thing. Better not hope is isn't too large and it strikes far away lol.

I like the idea of an ice pane on a frozen lake however. Ideal place to run one.

BoyToys

Part of a long-term cycle of climate change that has little to nothing to do with mankind on the planet.
Our orbit around the Sun changes over time, as well as the output of the Sun. Combined it is a moving target to predict.
I believe that at some point winters will be what we call normal as we remember them. But the catch is
it may take much longer that you hope.
A volcano or better two in tandem would give us some reprieve. But then again, a large asteroid strike
would do the same thing. Better not hope is isn't too large and it strikes far away lol.

I like the idea of an ice pane on a frozen lake however. Ideal place to run one.
Yep, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I'll be long since dead before the weather patterns revert back to what I enjoyed so many decades ago. This winter, the snowpack at my 3600' cabin amounted to 19"...usually 30"+. La Nina's bastard son El is to blame this year anyway. Just this morning got back from spending the night up there, totally off-grid. Snow shoes not needed this year, nor did I need my snowcat which is a shame!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What i found the funniest this season. Was the differences or stratified depths. Just a mere 2hrs commute in any direction had drastically different results in depth of snow