• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I recommend gantry crane frame for hoist for external courtyard use

underdog

I recommend gantry crane frame for hoist for external courtyard use:
Hi, for the relevance of my external courtyard I would like to install a mobile gantry crane, at least three meters high under the hook, at least three meters wide, with a useful capacity of at least two or three tonnes, can you kindly help me design and conceive it, what materials do you recommend I use? manual chain hoist with push trolley thanks regards

portal crane diy.pnggru 1.pnggantry crane.png

I found a project online, but I need the dimensions of the cross beam and the vertical uprights, thanks

J5 Bombardier

Looks like you have it figured out , some times you just have to "WING IT" to suit your needs . Locking brakes on your wheels and the ability to also lock the swivels in line with the beam they are mounted on , is a must on A frame, in my opinion . Keeps it from spreading at the bottom under load and keeps it from going in all directions when trying to move loaded. We used to pull the motors on Mack DMM cement mixers to replace the clutch, with our loader , a sister company gave us a gigantic a frame , which we tried once , it was uncontrollable , so we went back to the loader.
J5 Bombardier

Last edited:

underdog

I don't have to use it all the time I only need it when the weather is good and I can work in the yard if you have to unload heavy objects from some pickup truck bed or repair the massive piece of a tractor or similar machinery and maybe leave it hanging temporarily while it is being repaired clearly it should staying still shouldn't overturn or break any part causing me harm, how would you do it and what materials and beams would you use? Thanks, sorry if I'm bothering you.

PGBC

If me, and I am not an engineer, but I would figure out what the maximum weight is i would ever lift.
Then for example on the cross beam, look at the middle of the beam, and what it can support, and use one rated at 3 or more times the max load.
So if my load was to be 5000 lbs max, and the beam was 10' wide between uprights, at 5' from any support, want a beam rated at 15,000 lbs minimum.
Then figure out the same for the uprights, cross bracing, the winch, chain, etc.
1/3 working load should give you the strength required to be safely using it, if not old and rusty for example.

underdog

gantry frame hoyst.png

I consulted a technician who tells me that for a weight of 2000kg or 2 tons in the center I should use a 160, 180 mm IPE beam
or a 140 H-beam which weighs more but has no reaction to torsional stress is more robust while the legs have to divide the load not by four but by three legs assuming that one leg remains suspended, I have to calculate the handkerchiefs and the bolts and the bracing to counteract the various forces and stresses, I definitely believe that 80 mm x 3 mm thick tubes could be sufficient to support the load, at 3/4 of the height I should insert some Gussett diagonal bolts to reduce the light of the span and make the more solid and monlithic structure, am I wrong??
i beam.pngi beam H.png

underdog

clear the structure will never be brought to the maximum load, I will never load 2 tons on the structure maximum 500kg maximum 800 kilograms for large loads heavy machinery such as cranes, forklifts or telescopic lifts are used thanks again sorry for the inconveniencegantry crane frame hoyst.png

PGBC

Looks great, and no inconvenience at all.
Its fun to discuss anything and everything in my opinion.