• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Grinding Gears

Which do you prefer - manual or automatic?

• Manual

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Link: Every car available with a manual transmission

Spoiler alert: the list is shorter than it used to be - for those of us who prefer driving a car as opposed to just steering it.

...the manual transmission is on the way out. People like automatics for the convenience; they can be faster than manually shifting, and they’re frequently better at saving fuel. But the manual still has advantages. It’s small and light, it’s still sometimes more affordable than an equivalent automatic model, and, of course, it’s much more engaging than an automatic. For these reasons, automakers are still selling a variety of models with manuals...

Using a manual transmission automatically - pun intended - requires the driver to be more engaged with the vehicle. By listening & 'feeling' to know when to shift, you're inherently paying more attention to the performance of the drive train & suspension. Plus it's more fun.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

1712260653689.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My Manual transmissions tend to function flawlessly. Unless I think about it when I am shifting.
That's when the gears clash or I stall.

I prefer a manual except when driving the minivan. I mean, what then would be the point?

BTW we did have a recent thread on this topic

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My answer would be 'depends'.
For my daily driver, stop and go traffic in town etc, I prefer automatic.
For fun, a Sunday drive on a curvy road I want a manual.
I owned my share of both. Sold my Z3 manual BMW sports car. Miss it. The only manual I own now is a Honda Goldwing Trike. It's fun for sure but not the same as a sports car.

Kevlar

It’s ok driving an auto but a standard takes more skill and keeps you in touch with the vehicle. My semi and grain truck have 13 speeds and there’s a sense of accomplishment when you rattle seamlessly through all the gears.

It’s ok driving an auto but a standard takes more skill and keeps you in touch with the vehicle. My semi and grain truck have 13 speeds and there’s a sense of accomplishment when you rattle seamlessly through all the gears.
My bucket list includes learning to drive one of those beasts.