• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Electric cars have up to a third less range than advertised in real-life conditions

Link: Electric cars have up to a third less range than advertised in real-life conditions, investigation finds
  • The battery life of the cars tested was on average 29.9% less than advertised
Electric cars have up to a third less battery life than advertised when driven in real-life conditions, an investigation has found.

The official figures provided by car manufacturers for how many miles an EV can drive on full charge are based on a standardised test done only in warm conditions...

...The magazine mimicked how motorists really use their cars by parking twelve vehicles outside in the cold overnight. The team then drove the cars around a 60-mile test track in Bedfordshire until their batteries died.

...On average, the range of the electric cars was 29.9 per cent less than advertised, with the £57,000 Lexus UX 300e Takumi recording the biggest shortfall – 100 miles less than its official 273-mile figure...

In other breaking news: political promises should not be taken seriously, he won't call the next time he's in town, and she only loves you for your money, Mr. Murdoch.

If someone made a full-sized pickup that could haul 10 sheets of plywood, have a 400 mile range, include the gear I need to charge it at home, and price it around 20k, I'd buy one right now. Until then, trading in my reliable wheels for duracell virtue signaling = stupid on steroids.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Link: Electric cars have up to a third less range than advertised in real-life conditions, investigation finds
  • The battery life of the cars tested was on average 29.9% less than advertised
Electric cars have up to a third less battery life than advertised when driven in real-life conditions, an investigation has found.

The official figures provided by car manufacturers for how many miles an EV can drive on full charge are based on a standardised test done only in warm conditions...

...The magazine mimicked how motorists really use their cars by parking twelve vehicles outside in the cold overnight. The team then drove the cars around a 60-mile test track in Bedfordshire until their batteries died.

...On average, the range of the electric cars was 29.9 per cent less than advertised, with the £57,000 Lexus UX 300e Takumi recording the biggest shortfall – 100 miles less than its official 273-mile figure...

In other breaking news: political promises should not be taken seriously, he won't call the next time he's in town, and she only loves you for your money, Mr. Murdoch.

If someone made a full-sized pickup that could haul 10 sheets of plywood, have a 400 mile range, include the gear I need to charge it at home, and price it around 20k, I'd buy one right now. Until then, trading in my reliable wheels for duracell virtue signaling = stupid on steroids.
You're living in 1994.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty sure Consumer Reports did a test last year and found that the ranges were near the claimed ranges. Some more, some less. But pretty close. Obviously range varies by driving style, etc. But using a standardized mix of city/highway, the CR test found the claimed mileage to be pretty accurate.

That said, when I looked at cars in fall of 2023 I really liked some of the EVs. Put down a deposit for a Fisker Ocean. Ended up buying a Hybrid from Toyota. The EVs simply didn't have the range that I needed and would have required too much of a lifestyle change. Given that I drive a lot of miles every year, living with an EV simply was too much of a compromise.