• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dielectric mineral oil?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a Zoeller model 1096 sump pump that needed a little repair. It was just the impeller fell off. I turned it back on by hand but was concerned it wasn't on tight enough so I thought I'd take a little more of the pump apart so I could reach the shaft and while holding that, crank the impeller on tighter.
Oops. I opened more of the pump and oil dumped out everywhere. I buttoned it back up quickly but lost a pretty fair mount of fluid.
I contacted Zoeller and they told me I have to use "dielectric mineral oil". That stuff is hard to find and very pricey when you can find it (like $30+/quart).
Anyone know where I can find this liquid gold at a reasonable price? Are there any viable substitutes (like transformer oil)?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know nothing about it but ...found this link that looks interesting.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I found the best/cheapest solution.
Buy a new but damaged pump for around $10 at auction.
Use the fluid from it and save the rest for parts (or scrap) the remainder.
To buy the correct oil, I'm in for probably $30 or more.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if you don't come up with anything else I'd try this we use food grade oil on our machines at work if its clean enough to eat is try it in a motor

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks!
Not sure I want to risk using an incorrect oil in a sewage pump that's deep in a pit as replacing or monitoring the pump performance is not easy. I want to install a pump then forget about it for another 15 years.
I do have a use for the oil in your link as the Mrs just bought a new cutting board but it has a small crack between a couple of the boards. I'm going to suggest she consider this oil to fill the crack. ;)