• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Crazy diesel prices

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Fuel prices are back on the rise here, regular is give or take $5.50 and diesel close to $6.00. Im sure somewhere on the coast its already passed $6.00
Crude Oil is over $90.00 a barrel.

Saudis are putting on pressure.

US dollar is getting weaker.

President Numbnuts is taking another nap.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Crude Oil is over $90.00 a barrel.

Saudis are putting on pressure.

US dollar is getting weaker.

President Numbnuts is taking another nap.
And the strategic oil reserve is about depleted, so president numbnuts can't use that trick again.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been noticing the crazy diesel prices up here. Regular gas is 1.41 per litre. Diesel is at 1.93. Once upon a time it was almost even and often diesel was cheaper.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Diesel used to be cheaper, roughly 15%, than gasoline. That switched in the USA, at least in my region (across the midwest) probably at least 5 years ago. In my area gasoline is running between US$3.09-$3.39 per US Gallon. I pay roughly US$3.95/$3.99 for diesel, but north of me the price is hovering in the US$4.29-$4.39 range per US Gallon.

chowderman

diesel used to be less expensive, then in 1993 the US government raised the tax on diesel . . . now it's more expensive than gas.

"The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel . . . "
many states did the same....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Diesel is actually cheaper to refine, so even with a higher tax, it theoretically would be cheaper than gas anyway. There is a general diesel shortage, demand is high and refining capacity is running at pretty much maximum capacity. There is no way to make more diesel.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Diesel is actually cheaper to refine, so even with a higher tax, it theoretically would be cheaper than gas anyway. There is a general diesel shortage, demand is high and refining capacity is running at pretty much maximum capacity. There is no way to make more diesel.
Diesel went higher in 2007 when the government lowered the minimum amount of sulfur allowed causing a higher cost for refining.
It increased the cost of Diesel by almost 20% .
Our government has been anti diesel for decades.

The pro Ethanol actions by our government one proof of that.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
diesel used to be less expensive, then in 1993 the US government raised the tax on diesel . . . now it's more expensive than gas.

"The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel . . . "
many states did the same....
In 2007 our government switched road vehicles to ultra-low sulfur diesel. At that time diesel became more expensive than gasoline.
Before then diesel was always cheaper than gas. Off road diesel was still cheaper and had the sulfur still there, but in a 10 year faze out till in 2017, now it has the same sulfur content as on road fuels.
Some fuel stocks require multiple trips through the sulfur removal process to be legal for sale. Obviously this cost is added.
into the pump prices.
As much diesel as we use, believe me I know and remember exactly how this unfolded.