• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Country music star Jason Aldean "Try that in a Small Town" controversy

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally I think the song is repetitive and unimaginative, but I do appreciate the message. As someone who lives 5+ miles outside the edge of a town that has grown over the past 30 years to nearly 9000 people, I appreciate the small town feeling of community, honesty and patriotism. My daughter lives in Chicago where there is NONE of that.

Aldean has taken a good bit of flack from urban dwellers claiming his song is racist, colonialist, patriarchal, blah blah blah . . .

In his words:
“In the past 24 hours I have been accused of releasing a pro-lynching song (a song that has been out since May) and was subject to the comparison that I (direct quote) was not too pleased with the nationwide BLM protests,” Aldean tweeted. “These references are not only meritless, but dangerous.”
“There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it- and there isn’t a single video clip that isn’t real news footage -and while I can try and respect others to have their own interpretation of a song with music- this one goes too far,” he added.
“As so many pointed out, I was present at Route 91-where so many lost their lives- and our community recently suffered another heartbreaking tragedy,” Aldean continued. “NO ONE, including me, wants to continue to see senseless headlines or families ripped apart.”

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Turns out the CMT (Country Music Television) has stopped playing “Try That in a Small Town” on the country music streaming service’s rotation of popular videos.

No reason was given. But likely it reflects the networks leftist ownership responding to woke critics.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Caught on the news this morning that it's currently the #1 song on Apple's music thingy.
Yup

Millions of people support the message: Take care of your community, don't mess it up, be a good person, take care of your neighbors. And don't screw with my community.

So obviously woke culture has to protest that.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Well, where I live in the woods, each door of my house has a loaded gun leaning beside it. I also have a loaded hand gun by my bed and under my computer monitor. All I hear on the news is about the open border and the aliens heading into the country. Well, down here we just call them free moving targets. I can understand and approve of that song. Have a goodun!!!!!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the VIDEO is now altered.

The original video I posted yesterday showed real crime/looting/riot footage in US urban areas. Now I can't get that play. The audio still plays, but with an image of Aldean.

I'm guessing that YouTube pulled the 'offensive' video? I dunno? Maybe it was preemptive by Aldean to keep the music from being censored?

Here is a link to a TWITTER thread that contains the video:

From the Tweet:

NEW: Country Music Television has pulled Jason Aldean’s music video ‘Try That In A Small Town’ in response to media outrage. In the music video, Aldean calls out left-wing violence, specifically violence against law enforcement. Apparently this is ‘controversial’ and hateful according to the left. “Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk, carjack an old lady at a red light. Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store. Ya think it’s cool, well, act a fool if ya like. Cuss out a cop, spit in his face. Stomp on the flag and light it up. Yeah, ya think you’re tough,” the lyrics read. “Well, try that in a small town. See how far ya make it down the road.” Rapping about drugs and murdering people:
✅
Singing about standing up to lawlessness:
❌

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Kudos to Jason Aldean. I'd never heard the song or of the controversy. Why CMT, Country Music Television would bend to the WOKE crowd shocks me. WTH. His video is nothing but the truth.
Basically, the WOKE crowd is trying to "cancel" Jason Aldean because he opposes crime.

FWIW, they tried this about a year ago with him because his wife publicly came out with a statement that said she opposes 'gender affirming care' when it includes surgical procedures . . . which is basically legal genital mutilation of children. The PR firm that worked with him cancelled their contract because his wife's opinion, and I presume his opinion concurred, was contrary to their beliefs (or something like that). Oddly, I think most Americans, when it is explained to them that so-called gender affirming care includes the surgical mutilation of minors, oppose that type of procedure.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My bet is reading the words of the song that woke leftist will not be caught dead in a small town. :lmao:
I bet they are scared shitless, kind of like after the movie Deliverance. For decades people in the cities would
refer to that movie as the reason the countryside is not where they will ever be.
And they should be scared too. :whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The latest controversy is that the courthouse behind the band was the site of a lynching 100 year ago.
Oddly, Disney's Hannah Montana movie was also filmed there and used it as a backdrop, as did a movie by Paramount.

The production company that filmed the music video released this:

In a statement to Entertainment Tonight, the music video’s production company, Tacklebox, confirmed to ET on Tuesday that the location is a "popular filming location outside of Nashville" and cited several music videos and films that have been filmed there-including most recently the Lifetime Original movie Steppin' into the Holiday with Mario Lopez and Jana Kramer, a music video from Runaway June titled, "We Were Rich," a Paramount holiday film A Nashville Country Christmas with Tanya Tucker -- as well the Hannah Montana film. The production company says, "Any alternative narrative suggesting the music video’s location decision is false." Tacklebox also noted Jason did not pick the location.

But hey, ignore those other transgressors, focus on this one guy because he refuses to give into the woke crowd!