• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Caribbean vacation destinations

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for a new Caribbean vacation destination. Looking for suggestions.

Probably a fly-in, fly-out as opposed to a cruise.

We're currently thinking of these but they're not "perfect".
- Aruba - Looks like it's a PITA to get admittance
- Turks & Caicos - They drive on the wrong side of the road. I hate that.
- US Virgin Islands - Spread out - might not be able to see more than 1 island.
- Costa Rica - Not Caribbean per se but a possible destination. Vacation in forest or beach area?

Have already been to:
Bahamas - Freeport, Nassau & a couple private islands
Grand Caymans
Mexico - Cancun & Cozumel

Ideas?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you looked at Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic.

We did that and loved it. All inclusive resort but did several trips out of the compound for fishing, shark and dolphin swims, etc

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob. How well isolated (safe) is Dominican Republic right now with all the events in Haiti?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Windward islands. St Vincent/Martinique/Palm Island
Comparatively unspoiled. Fewer cruise ships visit the lesser Antilles.
Great people

The reef off Union Island is magnificent.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob. How well isolated (safe) is Dominican Republic right now with all the events in Haiti?
It was very isolated, but I can only presume it still is. You can fly right into Punta Cana, which is on the extreme far side of the island.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We were in Antigua and Barbuda a few years ago. At an all inclusive resort. It was nice. Best beaches and bluest water I've ever seen. They do drive on the wrong side of the road there. Island is very poor once you get off the resort but they have lots of suggested trips to see the different features of the island, so you see a lot of the shacks and poor areas.

Good friend goes to Roatan every year. Laid back, great snorkeling. Her pics make the place look good. They stay in a island hut instead of a hotel. Nothing fancy for sure

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc.
Did you go to all 3? Can you bounce around all the islands easily? (Ferry's or something) Can you hop over to Barbados?
We chartered a 53 foot Beneteau for 10 days out of St Vincent. Saw everything in the lesser Antilles except Granada which at it was in turmoil.
Martinique is a jet setter's island but very modern and hospitable.
Mayreau, just north of Union Island was our favorite. Small, rural, unspoiled and friendly.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Island is very poor once you get off the resort but they have lots of suggested trips to see the different features of the island, so you see a lot of the shacks and poor areas.
Thanks Greg,
Speaking of poor once you leave the resort areas, has anyone been to Jamaica?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
If you want isolation and looking to VRBO it, I'd say Roatan or Ambergris Cay in Belize. On Ambergris Cay, you get around by golf cart. Both beautiful and pretty reasonable. If you want all inclusive, we liked Antigua, but the airport is a GIANT pita. The Iberostar Resort at Playacar (about 90 mins, south of Cancun) is pretty nice and you can branch out to snorkel the cenotes further south or visit Tulum, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, etc.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's wrong with the Antigua airport?
Going to look into Belize. Thanks. Safe?

Forgot to mention but the Mrs. isn't into diving and will only do a little snorkeling (we've done snorkeling in Hawaii, Caymans...) She's more land based but does like pools, lazy rivers. If she can't see the bottom, she's not interested.

Any recommendations for good Maya ruin locations? We've been to Chichen Itza. She was in Cozumel recently but due to cruise arrival and departure times, couldn't get inland to see anything cool in a timely fashion.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
On Antigua, we waited in line for hours to go through immigration. We almost missed our flight to get out of there. Ambergris Cay is safe . I've heard bad things about Belize City, but don't worry about that if you're going to the cay, since you just get on the puddle jumper at the airport.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On Antigua, we waited in line for hours to go through immigration. We almost missed our flight to get out of there. Ambergris Cay is safe . I've heard bad things about Belize City, but don't worry about that if you're going to the cay, since you just get on the puddle jumper at the airport.
I'd agree the Antiqua Airport leaves a lot to be desired. We might have got lucky as it took little time to go through immigration. No problem. Miami Airport is huge and there were thousands processing back into the US and even that went well. I was shocked they could process so many people without major delays. they kept the lines moving like pros. As I said, maybe we got lucky.