• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bio Diesel Plant

WillieFan

Anyone here made a diy biodiesel plant? I would like to build one. Just for use in a compact tractor and pickup truck, so it wouldn't have to be huge. I could use any advice you got! And where could I find plans that are easy to follow? Thanks in advance!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at it a few years ago. For my uses I opted to just continue to buy diesel. At the time I had multiple diesel cars plus tractors. I'm down to 1 compact utility tractor and 1 diesel car so probably not worth it for me today.

But kits and plans are readily available. Ebay has lots of biodiesel home scale equipment available. You can reuse an old water heater tank and get a lot of stuff surplus.

Mother Earth News ran an article about it a couple years ago. Does not seem to difficult. You'll need a good steady source of used vegetable oil like they use in deep fat fryers.

I used to subscribe, they have lots of good info for rural folks but it is a somewhat strange magazine overall. This article gives a good explanation

SOURCE FOR EQUIPMENT and info:

WillieFan

I looked at it a few years ago. For my uses I opted to just continue to buy diesel. At the time I had multiple diesel cars plus tractors. I'm down to 1 compact utility tractor and 1 diesel car so probably not worth it for me today.

But kits and plans are readily available. Ebay has lots of biodiesel home scale equipment available. You can reuse an old water heater tank and get a lot of stuff surplus.

Mother Earth News ran an article about it a couple years ago. Does not seem to difficult. You'll need a good steady source of used vegetable oil like they use in deep fat fryers.

I used to subscribe, they have lots of good info for rural folks but it is a somewhat strange magazine overall. This article gives a good explanation

SOURCE FOR EQUIPMENT and info:

Thanks! I'll look into those resources.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I just stumbled on your thread. Couple of things. First, my point of view, I was the Asst Fire Chief for our large Fire District. We had several incidents with DIY Bio-Diesel. Methanol is a very active nerve poison. Use good PPE/ Ventilation. The bio diesel is fairly safe, but the methanol catches fire easily, and is not visible when it's on fire. The LYE is tremendously damaging to humans skin, eyes etc. Again PPE and safe practices are mandatory. Have redundant safety on any heating systems that's where most fires happen. Please store the LYE and Methanol outside of the reaction area and have just the amount needed for the current batch.

NOT saying don't, just please take care and consider the firefighters that may have to come visit.
Tom

WillieFan

I just stumbled on your thread. Couple of things. First, my point of view, I was the Asst Fire Chief for our large Fire District. We had several incidents with DIY Bio-Diesel. Methanol is a very active nerve poison. Use good PPE/ Ventilation. The bio diesel is fairly safe, but the methanol catches fire easily, and is not visible when it's on fire. The LYE is tremendously damaging to humans skin, eyes etc. Again PPE and safe practices are mandatory. Have redundant safety on any heating systems that's where most fires happen. Please store the LYE and Methanol outside of the reaction area and have just the amount needed for the current batch.

NOT saying don't, just please take care and consider the firefighters that may have to come visit.
Tom
Thank you so much! That is very informative, I will definitely keep those things in mind. Last thing I want is an accident. Thanks again!