• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

axillary transmission

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for an axillary transmission from a medium duty truck. Spicer 7041, brownie box or similar. They were used in the old days for gear splitting, normally 1 or 2 under drive a 1:1 and a overdrive.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You putting it in a cat? I have been wanting to put a t case in backwards to create a B box.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
You putting it in a cat? I have been wanting to put a t case in backwards to create a B box.
Im putting it behind a turned up Cummins 12 valve with an Allison at545. The transmission final is 1:1. Its going in my 1964 C-10 Hotrod hauler. Currently has big Chevy and turbo 400. You can see the gas gauge move when you drive it. The Axillary transmission is for the overdrive in something that will handle the power. Gear vendors said there unit wouldn't live in that situation. Read a story online in a motorhome forum where a guy did what I am going to do and said it worked out great. Increased his to speed@2600 rpm from 65 to 85 and also increased his mileage from 10 mpg to 14. My truck weighs 7800# with the big Chevy. It should a rocket ship with a 500hp Cummins and get close to 20 mpg doing it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_5209.jpg

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see, I have been picking around looking for a 3spd aux myself for a load star project.

then I stumbled onto a school bus to haul my small snow cats, the bus came with a parts bus...... ( why wouldn't it ) the parts bus has an allison that has a seemingly tall final drive. I have now decided to ditch the IH 392 gas and allison for a 24v allison with an OD.

at the winter snow cat clowder my vehicle speed sensor went missing and now the transporter moves happily at freeway speeds. My MPG are fantastic by my standard and look forward to more trips.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Have an Allison 2400 series transmission, its a 5 speed OD. My first thought was to use that transmission as it already has the OD.
That was until I started looking for the TCM and stand alone harness. $4500.00 for the harness, TCM and programming and a core charge for the TCM. Thats when I decided to just use the AT545 I already have and add the axillary. Only drawback is the non lockup converter. The 454 in it now with the turbo 400 is a 3 speed non lockup and does just fine.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
did not realize the stand alone was quite that high.

I have buddys that are putting 2000 series behind DT360's and they are using some little box that reads input and compares it to output and looks to a potentiometer on throttle for its position. I shall inquire with what they are using. I intend to use the 2004 management from a school bus. Not quite 12 V bullet proof but easily understood.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
You may get it to work if you are using the engine with the ECM , TCM and harness that came with it and can figure out how to hack into it and know what wires are what. If you get it to work the shift points won't be right for what you are using it for and could go into limp mode. At least thats what researching information has told me.