• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

AWESOME Picture Thread II

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Firefall in Yosemite National Park on February 20 2023.
Horsetail Fall can glow orange when it's backlit by sunset, which can make it appear to be on fire. This unique lighting effect happens only on evenings with a clear sky when the waterfall is flowing and when the sun is at the right angle.

Awesome23Pics43.jpg

Umberto

Toy Caldwell (lead guitarist) enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. In 1966, he reported for recruit training at Parris Island, South Carolina. After being wounded in Vietnam in September 1968, he was evacuated for two weeks, then returned for duty.

IMG_2828.jpeg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
'Stairs of death' (15th Century CE), are a section of stone steps, built by Incas (1438-1533 CE), located at peak Huayna Picchu mountain, 2693m above sea level (one of steep mountains that overlooks Machu Picchu), Peru.
(There is no doubt in my mind I would die on these stairs. Insane.)

Awesome23Pics44.jpg

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
'Stairs of death' (15th Century CE), are a section of stone steps, built by Incas (1438-1533 CE), located at peak Huayna Picchu mountain, 2693m above sea level (one of steep mountains that overlooks Machu Picchu), Peru.
(There is no doubt in my mind I would die on these stairs. Insane.)

View attachment 171574
Every time I look at ancient pictures like this, including castles, I wonder how they were built with no modern technology. How far did 'slaves' have to haul the rocks, how many people, how many hours a day, etc.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm done with steep inclines. I don't have vertigo as far as I know but have also acquired an issue with heights.
Last time I was at the Grand Canyon, I didn't even want to walk down the canyon.
What is it with the older civilizations? Why were their stairs always so steep.
I climbed the stairs at Chichen Itza Mexico, pictured below. Getting up the stairs isn't too bad, coming back down, most do a butt crawl (as I also did).

iu

chowderman

I have a quirk. I like pipe organ "stuff" - as an early teen I would spend a day then and again with the Organ Shop crew at Wanamaker's in center city Phila. (my dad was in the maintenance department so he arranged special dibs . . . )

subsequent to the sale - Wanamakers to Macy's - "Friends of the Wanamaker Organ" was formed to take care of the organ. Macy's chips in a bunch, and the organ has been splendidly restored/maintained. it is played daily (except Sunday,,, closed.....)

below are three videos
the first/second records Act of Kindness in the Grand Court
(the store - now Macy's - occupies an entire city block. the Grand Court is central, main floor to (false) 9th floor ceiling height.)

the Wanamaker Organ was purchased from the 1904 St Louis World's Fair and installed in the store.
it is the largest _fully functional_ pipe organ. there is one larger (by pipe count) but that one is not in full working order....

the first video is the best recording of the event
the second video gives a much better presentation of the organ console.
for those who have played around on the typical home Wurlitzer type organ, this one can challenge one's mind....

the third video is a (sigh) very short and incomplete tour of the inner workings. veddy curious for me - for example I vividly recall huge "walls" of "ye' olde' electro-mechanical relay" - which a brief shot shows have been replaced by solid state/digital stuff....

the tour

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I love pipe organs. I really wanted to see/hear the Thomaskirche organin Europe when there, but other things took precident.
If really like to find an organ being restored locally so I could volunteer to help.
It is amazing that centuries ago, machines like this were built with some still exist and are functioning.
I have a nice theater organ at home, and now that I'm retired, and my projects are winding down, maybe I can get my fingers working again.

Attachments

• 20231221_181346.jpg
    20231221_181346.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I too love old pipe organs.
There is one in the St louis Catholic cathedral that one of Crumpy's friends played regularly. We got to see it see and play once. Up close and personal. Five grates and foot pedals.

An interesting thing about these instruments was that they were integral to the building that housed them.
We own two electrical models. (Not electronic) The Wurlitzer is in my home. The Hammond is in storage. Both are two grates.

My piano teacher was the church organist, so I got to play it several times.
Lucky you to have such a close relationship with one of the biggest and finest examples of the art.

Envy in spades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc