• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Advice/help on new laundry room floor. No

MrB

Hi, We want to replace the floor in our laundry room/ HVAC and 3/4 bath. It's all concrete floor currently covered in linoleum. Pretty straightforward there.
I think I have 3 options.
1. Scrape up old linoleum ( The least desirable option. ) and replace it.
2. Vinyl snap together laminate floor.
3. Wood snap together laminate floor.
Note: I replaced our kitchen floor with wood laminate. Came out great.
First choice vinyl laminate.
Second choice would laminate.
Third choice, hire somebody to scrape and replace the linoleum cuz I aint gonna. ( I'm pushing 67, forget it. )
Anyway, here's the rub. The whole floor is flat except in the laundry room where there's a depression for the floor drain. It's about 4 feet around and drops a few inches to the grate over the drain.
1000001355.jpg
1000001354.jpg
Ok, linoleum is no problem, as it will stretch to cover the depression. The other two laminates, not so much I'd guess.
Anyhoo, here's the questions. If we go with laminate, is there a way to make it form fit to the depression around the drain in the floor - or - Is there another way to go about this?
Appreciate any and all help,
Thanks 🙂

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have a local epoxy flooring come out and put epoxy flooring down. Not cheap, but nice looking and lasts forever.
I would have never thought of that but it actually makes a lot of sense. Durable, good looking, and the slope down to the drain won't be a problem.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi, We want to replace the floor in our laundry room/ HVAC and 3/4 bath. It's all concrete floor currently covered in linoleum. Pretty straightforward there.
I think I have 3 options.
1. Scrape up old linoleum ( The least desirable option. ) and replace it.
2. Vinyl snap together laminate floor.
3. Wood snap together laminate floor.
Note: I replaced our kitchen floor with wood laminate. Came out great.
First choice vinyl laminate.
Second choice would laminate.
Third choice, hire somebody to scrape and replace the linoleum cuz I aint gonna. ( I'm pushing 67, forget it. )
Anyway, here's the rub. The whole floor is flat except in the laundry room where there's a depression for the floor drain. It's about 4 feet around and drops a few inches to the grate over the drain.
View attachment 177449
View attachment 177450
Ok, linoleum is no problem, as it will stretch to cover the depression. The other two laminates, not so much I'd guess.
Anyhoo, here's the questions. If we go with laminate, is there a way to make it form fit to the depression around the drain in the floor - or - Is there another way to go about this?
Appreciate any and all help,
Thanks 🙂
Have a local epoxy flooring come out and put epoxy flooring down. Not cheap, but nice looking and lasts forever.

For a laundry room, that is the best option. A good epoxy paint on a properly treated concrete would also be a nice choice and you could do it. Or contract it.
Vinyl, not so much.
Laminate not advised.

Reactions: MrB