• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1953 Tucker Sno Cat 443 Mt Washington WMTW Channel 8 Restoration

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad I made the change, tables are better than new and buttery smooth all tightened and bolted.

Few notable items. The center pivot retainer needs to tighten flush against the top fixed steel bushing on the center pivot. The nut then gets tighten and cotter pin. It only serves the function of a grease retainer and only sees upper table contact if the rear end is suspended hanging the pontoons but really the outside and rear table hangers carry the load.

If this washer was missing cat operation would have no impact.
6424765D-423A-414A-9504-77FC1B8FC63E.jpeg
A133349B-7787-4D9C-B8ED-CF6DD826807A.jpeg

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These outer table retainers carry the load and forces from sidehill and if the tables were to hang in the air for some reason crevasse or jacking up off frame.

The table is threaded and these special washers slide on the top of the upper table. Trick is to adjust the washer tension checking at full swing which will be the tightest least warn spot.

After that, they lock under the table with hardware. As the table rollers and bearings wear these can be adjusted to take up slack.

Once the tables get close to touching rebuild again. Many believe the table to table is normal and just grease but that’s bad.

My guess is even earlier tables didn’t have these side retainers and that lead to broken upper table. Eventually the desig morphed into C channel setup which solved the same problem but simpler on later models.

Progress!

C01C160C-F485-48F6-AF24-584819FC089D.jpeg
AB0BC831-1B4D-4615-8CD6-648C5EEB5A31.jpeg
7DD449CB-C880-40CA-9A24-01FD7D40E041.jpeg

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the areas Tucker didn’t slack was bolt shoulder length.

It’s surprising they would take the time to machine down bolts to custom lengths to minimize thread contact when through bolting.

This is found on the tables mostly.

chowderman

fore warnings:
I own no snow track anything.
never ridden in a tracked snow machine.
never driven a tracked snow machine.
but I do watch them grooming my ski runs . . . .

however.... I have questions:
why are the rollers supporting the plate not "stubby shafts with a ball bearing?"
the lower plate 'rollers' are stationary - why does the lower have those big grooves that accumulates dirt?
why not resurface the upper plate with stainless, preventing all the rust crap destroying the rollers?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Need a Time Machine or a connection to your god to figure out why someone made the sky blue.

Just preserving what came before me and worked for 70 years!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Positioned for surgery. Note how the drivers side is more rotted than the passenger side. This is because it sat tipped that way in the junk yard for who know how many years.

Entire bottom tube of upper frame will be cut out cleaned up stitched in with new material welded and ground down.

Wear sunscreen to prevent skin cancer!

70563137193__15938BD1-757B-45D9-BEA3-8900C9F24580.jpeg
70563138841__08974F76-5363-4687-8746-B0D39B3E94C1.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0390.jpeg
IMG_0391.jpeg

Snowy Rivers

Gotta love cutting out ROT...

My Son in law VOLUNTEERED ME to help fix a badly rotted frame on a Toyota Land Cruiser last year....

Boxed in sections that had filled with dirt and then got wet......

Absolute nightmare .....

You job is looking great.......

Have you considered treating the inside of the remaining tube with PHOSPHORIC ACID .....Treat and then wash well with water....

This will turn any existing rust into a black oxide and stop any more degradation......

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Inching along in 80 degree heat 100% humidity monsoon season on this frame off frame up frame down preservation.

Little test dent removal on the donor body. What I need will bang out nicely. It’s getting grafted in somewhere before the rear window as it sits now. Want to preserve as much of the MT WASHINGTON TELEVISION on the original body. New graphics will replace what’s missing from OE.

IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0893.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My roof is good to where the blue tape is on the donor body. There is an additional hoop roof support that does not exist on the donor.

My guess is the rear frame also had a hoop to support the roof rack that was on this.

Think the move is to bang the dent out of the roof. The frame on the donor is bent toward the passenger side.

Use the donor side and rear panels and blend the roof in over the hoop and I under the rack. Graft in the donor frame with new stock as needed and it will be like 53 OE.

Should work quite well!

IMG_1139.jpeg
IMG_1140.jpeg
IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will call in lots of eyeballs. The front windshield roof clip will be on the frame. That edge will need to be squared first.

Should be able to lay the donor roof piece on frame then trace draw snap measure fit.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
There are innumerable youtube videos with all kinds of techniques to do almost anything.

If you are going to be trying your hand at hammer and dolly work, I highly recommend Karl Fischer's videos. His youtube channel is called Make it Kustom, and he's a Canadian who owns a shop called Japhands Kustoms in British Columbia. I personally don't care for Rat Rods, but his skills are impressive and in my opinion his videos are so good because he is a great teacher; explaining things in sufficient detail that even a knucklehead like me can understand.

They're also somewhat addictive. You watch one...and that leads to a second...and pretty soon... a few hours have elapsed.

BTW, I'm really enjoying this thread!