• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

100+ Inches of Snow

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not living in an area that typically gets more than 10 inches at a time, I can't fathom my area getting hit with 100 inches of snow.

How do you prepare for this?

Granted, the areas where this snow is falling are used to big snows, have more equipment, etc. But clearly this is pretty monumental.

FULL STORY AT LINK ABOVE

Biggest storm of winter to bury part of Sierra Nevada with over 100 inches of snow :snow2_smi:

A blizzard lasting days will blast the Sierra Nevada and Siskiyous with tremendous snow this weekend with the likelihood of travel shutdowns and life-threatening conditions.

By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather senior meteorologist
Storm Chaser Brandon Clement joins Bernie Rayno and Kristina Shalhoup to discuss the hazardous conditions in California.
A massive storm will unload a general 6-10 feet of snow and bring high winds in the Sierra Nevada through this weekend. The storm will not only close the major roads in the passes but may bury and isolate communities for an extended period, AccuWeather meteorologists warn.
"The snow will fall at the rate of 4 inches per hour at times, while 60- to 75-mph winds will create a dangerous blizzard with mountainous snowdrifts," AccuWeatherChief On-Air Meteorologist Bernie Rayno. The AccuWeather Local StormMax™ gust for the ridges and peaks of the Sierra Nevada is 90 mph.
The storm will create potentially deadly travel conditions along two major arteries in California.
"Donner Pass, California, along Interstate 80 and segments of I-5 in Northern California to Siskiyou Summit in southern Oregon are likely to close," Rayno added.
There is a high risk of motorists becoming stranded due to the incredible snowfall rates and the likelihood that road crews will be unable to keep up with the storm until it concludes late this weekend. This includes roads to and from the ski resorts in the region. Conditions may be life-threatening for those who become stuck outdoors in the storm.
The combination of heavy snow and high winds is likely to lead to power outages that could take many days, if not weeks, to resolve in isolated areas. Those in backwood locations will need a safe means of heat and plenty of food. Experts warn that chimneys and exhaust from furnaces will need to be kept open to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
Compared to past snowfall data and what is expected to fall, this storm has the potential to rank with some of the biggest that the Sierra Nevada has ever seen in modern times and could eclipse the big storm from late February 2023, AccuWeatherMeteorologist Alex DaSilva said.
For example, at Donner Pass, California, one storm of note spanned eight days and dropped a whopping 154 inches of snow in January 1952, according to the Truckee-Donner Historical Society. The mid-20th century storm's combination of 80-mph winds and snow produced drifts to 40 feet.
AccuWeather is projecting that 6-10 feet of snow will fall at Donner Pass or up to 120 inches, spanning several days. Similar snowfall is likely at many of the ski resorts in the Sierra Nevada, with an AccuWeather Local StormMax™ snowfall of 15 feet or 180 inches. Drifts from the storm will reach as high as several stories.
Last winter's megastorm that spanned the last few days of February and into March brought 55-60 inches of snow to South Lake Tahoe Airport, California. The storm this weekend is projected to be on par with that intensity.
Much of the storm's moisture will leave Southern California before the air turns cold enough for snow to fall. At the tail end from late Saturday to early Sunday, there may be enough of a combination of cold air and moisture to bring some snow to the ridges and peaks in Southern California, but little to no accumulation is anticipated over the passes, including the Grapevine.
AccuWeather's California Expert Ken Clark believes that this single storm may wipe out the current Sierra snowfall deficit this season.
Even with the deficit before the start of the storm, the combination of excessive snowfall from last winter and ongoing rain and snow this winter has most reservoirs near full capacity and streams running high.
The snowpack that builds into the early spring over the Sierra Nevada is the lifeline for much of California's water supply through the year. The gradually melting snow later in the spring and summer keeps the streams flowing and tops off lakes and reservoirs.
With the center of attention deservingly on the magnitude of mountain snow from the storm, there will be rain to deal with at the lower elevations.
"This storm will have enough breaks in the rain at lower elevations to avoid major and long-lasting flooding problems," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Heather Zehr said.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, Perhaps the good news is the reservoirs will fill this summer. Assuming the dams constructed to create them haven't been demolished. :unsure: :whistle_lips:

To your point Bob, I don't believe anyone in the mid-west is prepared for 10" of snow, much less 100" of the stuff.
St Louis shuts down on anything over 1.0"
Hell, they close schools around here if it is predicted.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry...had to laugh. 🤣 I get that you guys aren't prepared for the winter when an inch of snow practically creates a panick and the need to call in the national guard. 100 inches is a crazy amount of snow though. The most I've seen in a single storm up here is around 40 inches and that only closed things down for a day to allow enough time to clean up. Usually within 8 hrs of the storm ending, things are opened up and life goes on.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to live in the "snow belt" just south of Buffalo NY.
There were times we would get that kind of snow. Worst was in 1977. We lived in a 2-story house and to get out of the house, we had to use the 2nd story windows. Neighbor's single story houses were completely buried.
Snow drifts exceeded 20'. My mom's car was parked in the driveway. We didn't find it for nearly a month. Parts of our yard were still snow covered... in July.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To your point Bob, I don't believe anyone in the mid-west is prepared for 10" of snow, much less 100" of the stuff.
St Louis shuts down on anything over 1.0"
Hell, they close schools around here if it is predicted.
I'm on the south edge of the lake Michigan snow belt. Chesterton through South Bend regularly get 20+ inches of snow multiple times each year. I may get 0" to 10" while they are getting 20"+ or I may get 5" to 10" while they get a dusting. Just depends upon the direction of the wind off the lake.

Blowing and drifting off the farm fields is our force multiplier as we have a huge geographic school district (2nd largest in the state) and lots of farm fields that blow the side roads shut. Ice here is also a big problem, we tend to get ice storms so I'd rather get 5 to 8 inches of snow than 1/2" of heavy ice.

10" of snow shuts down our local schools for about 36 hours, the 2nd day is mostly due to blowing/drifting. Main roads and interstates for 8 hours.

The cities closer to the lake and a bit east of it have bigger equipment, interstates and larger populations, so Chesterton and all the cities between it and South Bend can have their schools up and running in 24 to 36 hours after getting 20" of snow. Main roads and Interstate Toll Road I-90 are rarely closed during those storms despite getting twice the snowfall. I've driven them during 2" an hour snowfalls and while not pretty, they keep them open.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The headlines just a year or two ago said there would not be snow anymore in California.
Who ever wrote that I hope has a snow shovel in their cold hands about now. :ROFLMAO:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Last year the area where we held California Mountain Madness had a large dump before we got there, and just after we left had a huge dump that buried two story houses. Ski resorts were digging down to get to the tops of the lift towers.

Gary O'

Not living in an area that typically gets more than 10 inches at a time, I can't fathom my area getting hit with 100 inches of snow.

How do you prepare for this?
One adapts
stocks up before hand
Hunkers in

We learned about harsh winters up at the cabin
Stocked three months supply of essentials
That usually kept us, even though winters were nine months of the year up there
Worst thing was cabin fever

Also, finding a place to put that amount of snow

5vCKFA3.jpg

7BPrFmh.jpg

There's a Wrangler under there

FTTKgl8.jpg

and a Jimmy pickup under there

truck in winter.jpg

snowman.jpg

KitKat2023

One thing in most areas that people don't think about is that the exhaust and intake for your furnace is clogged at that point and water gets sucked back in, ruining the electronics inside. No heat during that brutal weather is bad when people can't get to you in an emergency.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One thing in most areas that people don't think about is that the exhaust and intake for your furnace is clogged at that point and water gets sucked back in, ruining the electronics inside. No heat during that brutal weather is bad when people can't get to you in an emergency.
Sort of.
It's not unusual for the intake to get clogged, the exhaust rarely as there's the heat exhaust from the furnace to melt everything.

On the intake side, it's air only into the combustion chamber. No electronics would be ruined. If the intake is clogged, your furnace will recognize it and shut down. On the intake side, there's normally a trap to catch any water coming in before it gets to your furnace. It's normally not glued. If the intake clogs outside and you can't get to it, just pull that PVC trap pipe and let the furnace get the air from the opening it created in the basement. Be advised that since it's pulling air from the basement, that'll create low pressure which may make it where other gas items in the area (e.g. the water heater) not vent properly. Leave the basement door open a little bit to equalize the air pressure.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I predict a baby boom around thanksgiving from the hunkering down and saving body heat :geek:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Most of what was shown on TV is hype. This picture is from my cabin trail cam, The little water tank on a stand you can see in the background is about 4' feet high. Im about 80 miles from Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe is at about 6200' I am about 6000'. The videos and pictures shown all over the internet ant TV is the summit on 1-80 around Donner pass, thats over 7000' and gets a lot more snow at that elevation. The media makes it seem like the whole state was snowed in and in reality its just a few passes and towns. Same thing when the forest fires happen, one fire and the media makes it look like the whole state is burning. Ca. is a big state, if it was on the east coast it would go from Florida to NY.