• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS Snow Trac ST4

Woodchuck

WTS Snow Trac ST4

Time to sell the Snow Trac. I bought this from Sno-Surfer in 2016 for cabin access. Then building the cabin hit delay after delay, so it hasn’t gotten a ton of use. Mostly stored inside. Engine runs good. Recent oil change, carb cleaned and adjusted, new coil and ignition points, new battery. Square front-end. No I.D. plate or serial number.

Located in Central Washington.

Prefer to sell the trailer with it: 1997 Bulldog flatbed. Re-decked, re-wired, all LED lights, and I added some drop-down stabilizers to prevent lifting the back end of the tow vehicle during loading and unloading.

Asking $12,000 for the Snow Trac
$1,500 for the trailer

20190218_115553_resized.jpg
Snow Trac (2).jpg
20230730_190017_resized.jpg
20230730_185952_resized.jpg
20230730_190032_resized.jpg
20190217_145328_resized.jpg
20221228_140917_resized.jpg

Woodchuck

Adding a few more photos.

Attachments

• 20230826_105853_resized.jpg
    20230826_105853_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • 20230826_105913_resized.jpg
    20230826_105913_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • 20230826_105916_resized.jpg
    20230826_105916_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20230826_105926_resized.jpg
    20230826_105926_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20230826_105940_resized.jpg
    20230826_105940_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20230826_110004_resized.jpg
    20230826_110004_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20230826_110016_resized.jpg
    20230826_110016_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20230826_110152_resized.jpg
    20230826_110152_resized.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 111

Woodchuck

Also, here's a link to Sno-Surfer's thread about the work he did to the Snow Trac before I bought it from him.

The rattling he discusses when the clutch is pushed in was the pilot bearing. We fixed that first thing after picking it up.

Jphoenix

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi everyone, I bought this Snow-Trac from Woodchuck, brought it home yesterday. You may remember the Skidozer I restored a couple years ago, I've been looking for a Snow-Trac for some time now and will be slowly restoring this machine to its former glory. It runs and drives, needs a bit of sorting in th track department, but overall looks pretty good. No idea yet what SN it is - no plates and you can read through Sno-Surfer's thread that Woodchuck linked in his earlier post for a list of things to do.

Hi Jim, Congratulations on your purchase. I had considered it but, with 2 Snow Masters and 2 Snow Tracs, I had to reign myself back. See pic. So, I looked at your website. Quite impressive! I'm sure you will amaze us all with your restoration. I'm in Washington State so I'd welcome a chance to visit with you as you work through the project. Cheers!

Attachments

• Cascade Snowcats_4 Snow Tracs.jpg
    Cascade Snowcats_4 Snow Tracs.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 102

Jphoenix

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Jim, Congratulations on your purchase. I had considered it but, with 2 Snow Masters and 2 Snow Tracs, I had to reign myself back. See pic. So, I looked at your website. Quite impressive! I'm sure you will amaze us all with your restoration. I'm in Washington State so I'd welcome a chance to visit with you as you work through the project. Cheers!
Hi Mike, yes you have a nice collection there! I'm looking forward to diving into mine, but also plan to keep it drivable for at least this winter, then disassemble it in late spring for a full overhaul. I'll need to sort out the track system and brakes, engine runs fine for now. Welcome to visit any time - and I'd like to get a look at yours as well to get some ideas on improvements.

Hi Jim,
Great to hear back from you. You are welcome to join me out in Ashford, WA this winter for an outing. We can team up if you like. I operate a Cat Skiing company in the area so I have some great backcountry roads you can drive your machine on. See pics.

Attachments

• 20211217_145124.jpg
    20211217_145124.jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Z4 Backup_pics_videos_2-16-2023 5093.jpg
    Z4 Backup_pics_videos_2-16-2023 5093.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 89

Jphoenix

SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds great, I plan to get the machine reliable, will take some work on the right side chain and bogies. Also, need to get the brakes working, but should be ready before the snow flies.

Jim, There are a couple of other Snow Trac owners in the local area. We're called the Snow Trac Mafia. We may be able to assist you and/or advise you on your restoration. Feel free to contact me at (253)-241-8019.

Sno-Surfer

Hi everyone, I bought this Snow-Trac from Woodchuck, brought it home yesterday. You may remember the Skidozer I restored a couple years ago, I've been looking for a Snow-Trac for some time now and will be slowly restoring this machine to its former glory. It runs and drives, needs a bit of sorting in th track department, but overall looks pretty good. No idea yet what SN it is - no plates and you can read through Sno-Surfer's thread that Woodchuck linked in his earlier post for a list of things to do.
Congrats on this Snow Trac!! Would love to see what you do to it as you go through things. Hope to see it out in the wild too.

Jphoenix

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Son-Surfer. Not much has been done to it since you had it. I did figure out the brake issue as they are pretty well frozen from rust and the vacuum booster vacuum line is not connected to the manifold - so that will be the first thing. Seems to run fine, but will give me plenty to tinker with over the next few months.

I saw in an older post you had some bronze sprockets - do you still have them and do they fit this two-band big wheel machine?

Sno-Surfer

Thanks Son-Surfer. Not much has been done to it since you had it. I did figure out the brake issue as they are pretty well frozen from rust and the vacuum booster vacuum line is not connected to the manifold - so that will be the first thing. Seems to run fine, but will give me plenty to tinker with over the next few months.

I saw in an older post you had some bronze sprockets - do you still have them and do they fit this two-band big wheel machine?
I sold the sprockets I had a while ago. Just my two cents on the booster, I'd just run without it hooked up. I remember looking at that but don't remember exactly why I didn't hook it up other then it didn't have the nipple on the manifold to hook to but overall I just don't think it's needed for the Snow Trac. Brakes will still work just fine without it, especially for the amount you actually use the brakes. I was thinking the brakes worked a bit when I had it too but maybe not.... and if not, I guess I didn't really need them because I would have fixed them otherwise. But looking at your site, you will probably have everything working on it at some point. Glad to see it's still out there. Not sure if you've seen all the threads I had on it but the one thing is that the front wheel is real close to the sprockets because it had the larger front wheel and the two band track sprocket set up. I had custom springs made for the front that were a little longer and therefore jacked it up a bit and gave just a bit more clearance. But it was maxed out on the front adjusters to get the clearance too. I'm curious what's wrong with the chain. I think that was ok when I had it but it's been a while.

Jphoenix

SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Surfer, the RH chain is about a link too long, rides on the bottom panel in forward, I see where the axle housing is well up against the sheetmetal. I'm sure there's a solution in there, just gotta take it apart and see what's what. Left side looks OK, so just going to mirror that side, get the big wheels front and rear aligned, change a couple tires, etc. I plan to route some sprockets out of UHMW in anticipation of getting some bronze sprockets cast. The track bands are OIK, should make it through the winter and then I'll do new ones next summer and build up the grousers where they been worn. Cabin is fine, front fenders and sheetmetal is the same as when you had it, so I'll re-do all that. Needs a complete re-wiring, but nothing keeps it from running :)

Any idea how this machine got to Stevens Pass - from where you acquired it? I'm guessing it's a Mclarty - any history you know of? There's a Telco sticker on the fender, but no other identifying marks on the body.

Sno-Surfer

Hey Surfer, the RH chain is about a link too long, rides on the bottom panel in forward, I see where the axle housing is well up against the sheetmetal. I'm sure there's a solution in there, just gotta take it apart and see what's what. Left side looks OK, so just going to mirror that side, get the big wheels front and rear aligned, change a couple tires, etc. I plan to route some sprockets out of UHMW in anticipation of getting some bronze sprockets cast. The track bands are OIK, should make it through the winter and then I'll do new ones next summer and build up the grousers where they been worn. Cabin is fine, front fenders and sheetmetal is the same as when you had it, so I'll re-do all that. Needs a complete re-wiring, but nothing keeps it from running :)

Any idea how this machine got to Stevens Pass - from where you acquired it? I'm guessing it's a Mclarty - any history you know of? There's a Telco sticker on the fender, but no other identifying marks on the body.
I also think it's a Mclarty version. I really don't know the history other than the guy I bought it from had the cabin up there at Steven Pass and he said he had the engine rebuilt during his ownership. I did have the carb rebuilt by Volkzbitz out of Yelm ( he is the vw carb guru). I had the feeling it lived up there 10-15 years and I think he had bought it from his neighbor. But I could never really get much info on it.

Jphoenix

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I found more evidence that it's a Mclarty version - the brake booster/master cylinder assembly is a unique Jaguar part built for Jaguar MK2 sedans, Lockheed England. I ordered a new one from Moss Motors - it's identical to the one in the Snow-Trac. Makes sense Mclarty would use European brake parts, VW Golf calipers from mid 1980's, Jag brake booster. Don't have the master cylinder out yet, but I suspect it will be European as well, maybe Opel or Vauxhaul.