• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Where Is It Now? ....

DAP

As I drown quietly in the quagmire of middle age, I often wonder about past persons, events and

THINGS ....

Often we see the "Where are they Now" stuff .. old classmates, old GF/BFs, etc. How about something about some treasure THINGS we've had and forfeited or othewise parted company with.

For instance .. Back in the 80's a partner and I were restoring a full classic (look it up with CCCA) 1936 Buick Model 90 (Limited). We bought it for $1500 and spent 800 having it and the boxes it came in shipped to NY from Southern California.

The 'partnership' disolved about mid way through the resto and I invited myself to exit the project. Where is that damned car now? Huh? I used to put myself to sleep thinking about how good that old mohair broadcloth smelled and what it would be like to finally cruise her to Hershey.

Where are you now?

Makes me damned weepy not to know damnit. Geez, isnt' she simply gorgeous? (Trust me, that's a likeness).

:cry:

Attachments

• model 90 1936.jpg
    model 90 1936.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know just what you mean DAP. The first car I bought ever cost 580 dollars. It was a 1966 Chevelle convertable. It was maroon with a white top. I raised it 3"s and had corvette rally wheels on it. I traded it in on a new car when I went in the Navy. I needed a more dependable car. I got next to nothing for the chevelle. It sold the day after I traded it in. :(
I would love to find it or one just like it ..but if it had been restored I couldn't afford it.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Turn the clock back 45 years and I can tell you that one just like it was rolled off the end of the parking lot cliff when I was in college. If you have the serial number it can be traced, but I wouldn't bother, because it will just aggravate you when you find out how much it is worth today.... Junk....

PS...... there was one in town a few years ago that was still in the family that bought it new. They sold (more like gave it away) it to a good customer of the family business that promptly resold it to someone over seas. He said that he wanted to restore it, but it was more a case of them not knowing the value and his taking advantage of them. Just one more reason not to tell anyone what is lurking in your garage.

DAP

Junkman said:
... but I wouldn't bother, because it will just aggravate you when you find out how much it is worth today.... Junk....

My Kimes book, Catalogue of American Cars (1890 - 1942) (which any antique car officianado should own) says that today that puppy restored would be worth about 40k - That puppy = only the Model 90s. The Roadmaster Phaetons for that year 1936 are worth near as much, but are NOT full classics as per the CCCA.

You sure it was a Model 90 Limited that was pushed off the cliff?

The big attraction to the model for me was that it is judged in the same class as certain Rolls Royce, Packard, Duesenberg, Cord, Auburn, Hispano Suiza, Caddillac, and Lincoln. Imagine a Buick in that line up ... quite the underdog ...

New 1936 Price was about 2,500 USD for this Buick. A new chevy coupe or ford tudor could be had for about 550 USD.

Oh well ..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always like em since I saw them in the Bonnie and Clyde movie. It was a shame to see those nice cars with all the bullet holes in them. Now days they could use those fake bullet hole stickers. :)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
It was a black Buick Limited Limo...... Mid 1930's model. I can't remember yesterday and you want me to be certain?????? Get a life... :mad: